Steven Wilson 17)Do you think the Record Co's will ever even TRY to embrace Quad or Surround sound?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Seriously. We've had the carrot dangled an awful lot . DTS Entertainment for a couple releases, then nothing. Some releases on DVD-A and SACD, then nothing. TWO releases from Rhino (and this is a topic that really boils my potatoes) and then nothing. But through all this there have been numerous announcements of coming attractions. Again with the carrot.

As an industry insider, do you ever see REGULAR Old Quad Releases or new 5.1 releases coming from the big companies? (and I don't mean 2-6 releases every ten years, I'm talking like the old days when we got 100+ per year)

I'd LOVE to be an optimist...but ..NO, I don't think so...
Especially since they are looking forward to "eliminating" physical media...a parallel is the telephone companies; they are doing their darn best to not invest in landlines and focusing on wireless (so we can fry our brains better-makes no sense cause with less people, there's less business, but then , big companies are never known to follow logical thinking or long term investment)...

sorry to be the "ray of sunshine"...:howl

I'm disgusted that I agree with El Kapitan! After experiencing both Quad and 5.1 surround in their heydays, NO! I also sold hi-fi during both heydays. We sold woefully few Quad systems during their heyday. Stereo sold very well. During 5.1's heyday, surround systems were flying out the door. Most often, we demo'ed those Home Theater systems with surround music. It showed them off far better than most movies. Most people could have cared less that their fave music was available as a 5.1 mix. BFD. As a surround afficianado for over 40 years, I don't hold out much hope.

There is ONE ray of sunshine: when EVERYTHING becomes downloads and physical media vanishes, existing surround mixes may finally be readily available. The record label(s) might realize that it will cost them very little to reissue existing mixes to a niche audience. Don't hold your breath for that. The record label(s) have been notorious for leaving money on the table. Even at that point, if it ever comes to fruition, there will be few, if any, new surround mixes. That costs $$$.

I use the term record label(s), because I believe that everything at that point will be under the UMG umbrella. Perhaps Sony will retain it's record label. The business is nearly a monopoly now.

Little Miss Sunshine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back