Pioneer 563A Challenging Playback Issue

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr8track

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
I have been having a fairly consistent problem with the playback of multi-channel iso files burned to dvd via Image Burn. Most of these recordings playback just fine on my Pioneer 563A. However, with a few discs I am having a consistent problem even if I try burning the iso files multiple times.
Here is the situation. The playback will reach a certain point in the recording, the audio will drop out completely for less than a second, when the audio comes back on its at a higher volume. This is not just a one time occurance. It has the same problem at the same point in the disc each time it's played back. If I scan back I can usually get the audio to playback again at a normal volume.
I assumed the problem might just be due to a problem during the burning process of the dvd, so I have tried burning the same iso file multiple times. When I do this it changes where the problem occurs in the recording, but does not eliminate the problem. For instance, on disc one the problem may have occured at the track change between tracks 10 and 11, but when I re-burn the same iso file, now the audio dropout/playback at louder volume may happen in the middle of track 4, but now track 10 and 11 play fine. No matter how many times I burn the iso file I can not get a version that plays all the way through without this issue occuring.
So, it's driving me a little crazy because I can't determine the source of the issue. Is it most likely a problem with the original iso file? Is it a problem with the burning process? Is it a playback issue with the Pioneer 563A?
If anyone has any thoughts or has experienced this issue I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I've had rare drop-outs, and in my situation found that it was the actual blank disc medium that was burned that the player didn't like. Or dropouts have occurred as for whatever reasons there was a problem with the .ISO itself. When it was an .ISO issue, the dropout would be at same place or places on any player. Try burning with a different disc medium (different Brand) and also try playback of Bad discs on different player or computer drive to see what the deal is.

I've had rare drop-outs, and in my situation found that it was the actual blank disc medium that was burned that the player didn't like. Or dropouts have occurred as for whatever reasons there was a problem with the .ISO itself. When it was an .ISO issue, the dropout would be at same place or places on any player. Try burning with a different disc medium (different Brand) and also try playback of Bad discs on different player or computer drive to see what the deal is.

Good idea about the actual media. I have not tried a different brand of media yet. That would be an easy check. I will give that a try since unfortunately, I don't have a second player with dvd-audio playback capability. Also, I was not even aware my computer could playback dvd-audio discs, but after you mentioned it I gave it a try. And sure enough, using VLC player I can play the discs on my laptop. I don't have the disc in question here at work, but will check out playback when I get home to see if it has the playback problems in the same spot when playing back on the laptop. Thanks for the info.

I have been having a fairly consistent problem with the playback of multi-channel iso files burned to dvd via Image Burn. Most of these recordings playback just fine on my Pioneer 563A. However, with a few discs I am having a consistent problem even if I try burning the iso files multiple times.
Here is the situation. The playback will reach a certain point in the recording, the audio will drop out completely for less than a second, when the audio comes back on its at a higher volume. This is not just a one time occurance. It has the same problem at the same point in the disc each time it's played back. If I scan back I can usually get the audio to playback again at a normal volume.
I assumed the problem might just be due to a problem during the burning process of the dvd, so I have tried burning the same iso file multiple times. When I do this it changes where the problem occurs in the recording, but does not eliminate the problem. For instance, on disc one the problem may have occured at the track change between tracks 10 and 11, but when I re-burn the same iso file, now the audio dropout/playback at louder volume may happen in the middle of track 4, but now track 10 and 11 play fine. No matter how many times I burn the iso file I can not get a version that plays all the way through without this issue occuring.
So, it's driving me a little crazy because I can't determine the source of the issue. Is it most likely a problem with the original iso file? Is it a problem with the burning process? Is it a playback issue with the Pioneer 563A?
If anyone has any thoughts or has experienced this issue I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Not sure what speed you are burning at but I always burn at 4x regardless of the max speed of the disc. Sometimes this will help.

I know I have experimented with burning at a slower speed with some discs, but I have not tried that on the particular title I've been having issues with. I will give that a try. I did burn a new copy today on my laptop using Image Burn. I played it back on my laptop using the VLC player and it played just fine. No audio drop out issues at all. Then, when I played the same disc at home on my Pioneer 563A it had the same exact problem as one of my previous discs. There is a song that segues directly from the end of one song to the beginning of the next song. The audio drops out right at the track change (there is no delay set between tracks) and the volume increases as the next song begins.
So, this would lead me to believe that it has something to do with the Pioneer's ability to playback this disc, but obviously, there must be something that is causing the problem at the same point in the recording.
So, I will continue to experiment. I will burn at 4x speed and use different media and see what my results are.

My Samsung does not care for certain brands of DVD+R DL discs....
On mine, the disc will play to a certain random point then go silent.
The counter is ticking off and no messages, just silence.
If I restart the track, it plays fine.
Yet the entire disc will play in Foobar perfectly.

Some drives just don't handle certain disc formulas of the different brands I guess!

-B

Well, I'm having inconsistent results. I'm using Sony brand blank dvd's with the printable labels. They are the ones Costco stocks. That still ultimately be my problem, but I have not tried a new media brand yet.
Here's what I've discovered. On discs that were recorded at a higher record speed, I re-recorded these at 4x speed and it seems to have solved the problem. However, over the weekend I burned a new title at 4x speed and did have a problem with that recording, so still not 100% sure it is a recording speed issue. I am actually getting a second player capable of playing dvd-audio discs, so when that arrives I'll try playing some of these problematic discs on that and see if they have the exact same problems in the same spot.
I just get super annoyed at listening to discs with any kind of technical issue with them, so trying to get to the bottom of this problem is driving me a little wacky.

Well, it turns out the problem was due to a couple of factors. On those discs that were burned at a higher speed from iso files I could successfully get a copy that would play if I re-burned the same iso file at 4x speed. The 4x versions will playback on the 563A with no problem. However, I did discover that the original discs that consistently have the playback problems on the Pioneer will play just fine on a different universal player I just purchased. So, to a degree, it is a problem with the Pioneer itself. It apparently is just a bit more picky on what it will and won't playback. I have certainly had similar experience with burned dvd movies and having different experiences with different dvd players. So I guess it's not surprising that one player can not be able to play discs that another play can.

Back