Gentle Giant - Free Hand - to swap or not to swap?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you prefer - swapped or not?

• Total voters
There has been a lot of discussion about swapping the rear channels for the Free Hand release.

Please only vote if you have heard it both ways.

I'm keen to see what people think. Do you prefer the disc:

• as issued; or
  • with the RS/LS channels swapped?

Refer to this thread for additional background.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...io-in-february&p=142601&viewfull=1#post142601

Wait ...is it not
"Move the front left to front right
Move the front right to rear right
Move the rear right to front left"
according to AoQ?

That's not a LS/RS swap, afaik....
I did the former and , yes, it sounds more cohesive that way...

Has anyone got Gentle Giant Interview DVD in 4.1 and is willing to help me out ? My DVD I brought was cracked and doesn't play, the suppiler in Germany does not have a replacement. Can anyone send me a DVD-R of the 4.1 mix. I can send another DVD in exchange.

Thanks guys

I wanted to revisit this thread (brief as it is) to report something I noticed today. If one re-channels this quad mix per AoQ's instructions above, and then makes a fold-down mix of the result (Lf and Lr combined as new left channel, etc.), what you get matches the One Way CD issue of "Free Hand" EXACTLY! According to Wikipedia, One Way "mistakenly used an alternate rough mix version of the album." But I disagree - I think they somehow used a fold down of the unreleased quad mix to make that CD. And I think this provides more evidence that the quad mix of "Free Hand" as released *is* screwed up and AoQ's instructions are absolutely how it's supposed to be.

Perhaps it's time to correct the second poll choice? It's not "LS/RS swapped". Its rotating all 4 channels clockwise by 1.

Perhaps it's time to correct the second poll choice? It's not "LS/RS swapped". Its rotating all 4 channels clockwise by 1.

That's not whats recomended. Its:

That's not whats recomended. Its:

Yes. I tried this switch some time back and the soundstage was definitely improved.

What AoQ said..there is a song where there is a "circular" movement when you swap it this way, which leads me to believe that it is the correct swap...

How does we swaps channels, Precious?
In Audacity, when you go to export the audio, it shows a diagram of the original channels and the speakers they output to... This is where you can change the speaker assignments. I also recommend it for Harvest and A Space In Time.

On the diagram, I believe from top to bottom you have LF, RF, C, LFE, LR, RR.

Is the LFE on this 4.1 release just derived from the bass from the original quad mix? Giving us 'doubled' bass here?

If so, are people deleting the LFE when they do the channel swaps (i.e., converting it back to 'true' quad)?

Last edited:
Back