Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson TAAB2 (Thick As A Brick 2) DVD-DTS/Dolby

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Just finished my first listen - here's the detes;

DVD codecs;
24/48 LPCM Stereo
DTS 5.1 (24/48 @ 1508 kbps)
Dolby AC-3 5.1

The extras are "making of", interviews, Ian Anderson reciting all the lyrics on the album in various settings - silly yet entertaining, and a PDF of multilingual lyric translations. Also lyrics progress with the songs - they appear, disappear and reappear as required - all presented against the backdrop of a very thick and lovely red brick.

I don't mean to damn this with faint praise, but, it's close...but no cigar. First off - an excellent recording - warm, rich tones in which all of the instruments have tremendous presence. As a sequel to TAAB, this owes more to the character and story of Gerald Bostock and less to the music of the original. There are a few similar themes or motifs but nothing that enters self plagiary or parody. The 5.1 mix by Steven Wilson is excellent as expected and I have no issue with this being "only" DTS - I'll leave that criticism to others - it is what it is. The playing is quite good - unfortunately the songs are just verses strung together in search of a chorus that never materializes. I will say that this makes me look forward to the upcoming original TAAB in 5.1. If you're a Tull fan or completest or even just a fan of surround (mixing not codecs) - this is still worth the time. It met my expectations which were not too high to begin with. I'd give the music a 6, performance an 8 and the mix a 10.

Last edited:
Just finished my first listen - here's the detes;

DVD codecs;
24/48 LPCM Stereo
DTS 5.1 (24/48 @ 1508 kbps)
Dolby AC-3 5.1

The extras are "making of", interviews, Ian Anderson reciting all the lyrics on the album in various settings - silly yet entertaining, and a PDF of multilingual lyric translations. Also lyrics progress with the songs - they appear, disappear and reappear as required - all presented against the backdrop of a very thick and lovely red brick.

I don't mean to damn this with faint praise, but, it's close...but no cigar. First off - an excellent recording - warm, rich tones in which all of the instruments have tremendous presence. As a sequel to TAAB, this owes more to the character and story of Gerald Bostock and less to the music of the original. There are a few similar themes or motifs but nothing that enters self plagiary or parody. The 5.1 mix by Steven Wilson is excellent as expected and I have no issue with this being "only" DTS - I'll leave that criticism to others - it is what it is. The playing is quite good - unfortunately the songs are just verses strung together in search of a chorus that never materializes. I will say that this makes me look forward to the upcoming original TAAB in 5.1. If you're a Tull fan or completest or even just a fan of surround (mixing not codecs) - this is still worth the time. It met my expectations which were not too high to begin with. I'd give the music a 6, performance an 8 and the mix a 10.

I thought the music was original and continued the story with a near flawless performance. I was not really expecting a repeat of the classic TAAB and found it to be rather refreshing. The mixing was the normal SW, BRILLIANT. I will score this as a 9.

I thought the music was original and continued the story with a near flawless performance. I was not really expecting a repeat of the classic TAAB and found it to be rather refreshing. The mixing was the normal SW, BRILLIANT. I will score this as a 9.

As I stated in my comment's, the performance, recording, & bonus features were all quite good - I just found the musical composition to be less than stellar. I certainly could find worse ways to pass my time than listening to this. I am ever hopeful, as I am with any musical purchase I find less than I had hoped for, that this will grow on me.

As I stated in my comment's, the performance, recording, & bonus features were all quite good - I just found the musical composition to be less than stellar. I certainly could find worse ways to pass my time than listening to this. I am ever hopeful, as I am with any musical purchase I find less than I had hoped for, that this will grow on me.

I did not catch the flow of the release until my third listen. It is different but a good effort with a more present time theme. The music composition is not perfect , thus the reason for my score of 9. I have listened to it ten times and I enjoy it more with each playing. I agree, there are times that new material is not liked the first few listens and take time to warm up to, I have been there many times. I have a handful of discs in my collection that I have not been able to really like, the discs sound wonderful, the mix excellent but the musical content is not my cup of tea. That being said, I never thought you were poo-pooing the release and if it sounded like I did, it was not my intent. We just have a different view at this point.

Well, the only Jethro Tull track I'd heard until recently is Living In The Past. I bought the Aqualung set for the 5.1 Blu-ray and I was well pleased with it.

I wouldn't have a clue what TAAB is like - I think the surround version will come out later this year?

But this really pleases me. Steve Wilson has done a fine job with the mix. The general sound quality of it is very nice indeed, so no doubt Peter Mew has done his job properly with the mastering. And the music is excellent!

DSOTM, WYWH, Aqualung, In The Land Of Grey And Pink, Electric Light Orchestra, Free Hand, Interview - and now this! Some really good releases coming out - I'm enjoying them. :)

Well after a few more listens, I can't say that my opinion has changed much - tried the DVD in my car too to see if a change in listening environment would help - but to each his own. I will say that I rather like the track, "A Change Of Horses, " which was originally written to be performed with the wonderful Anoushka Shankar during their tour together back in '09.

I just finished my first spin, the 5.1 dts mix. Like most I was somewhat a sceptic when I heard he was doing this, but my initial impression is fairly positive - I'm surprised actually. The sound quality in general is excellent, lots of punch where it's warranted, and not to my surprise SW has done a superb job on the 5.1 mix.

I like this quite a lot I have listened to selective tracks over the last few weeks, but now i have a job again i only this weekend got to listen from start to finnish uninterrupted. good album, usual great job from Mr W on the mix.

I like this quite a lot I have listened to selective tracks over the last few weeks, but now i have a job again i only this weekend got to listen from start to finnish uninterrupted. good album, usual great job from Mr W on the mix.

Sorry it's off topic..
but
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW JOB...¡Olé!!!!

thanks Kap'n
Three months off and three weeks back in the work. Lot less time on my hands at the moment though.
Just stereo in the car and a 1 hour commute means i am listeing to a lot in the car but not a lot on surround.

Have made a couple quick stereo listens in the 4Runner and I think this is a great record in any context. Putting surround system back together around new receiver and will be commenting on the 5.1 this weekend...

I saw Ian Anderson perform TAAB and TAAB2 at High Wycomber, UK last night, Sunday 29th April, 2011. It was very, very good.

An audience recording seems to have appeared a few minutes ago on a well known torrent site.

Regards,

Peter

This show is coming to Nashville in October and I'm sorely tempted. I take this to be the original, intermission then the new one? Anything else played? Thanks

I take this to be the original, intermission then the new one? Anything else played?

Yes, that's exactly it - nothing else. There were some video clips and a bit of audience participation. The first half was around 50 minutes and the second just over an hour. You should definitely go.

Regards,

Peter

Back