Next Steven Wilson 70s Mix - Let The Speculation Begin....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3? I know about the first two albums being mixed in quad. What was the other one? I would love to hear any and all ELO in 5.1.

ON that subject, I had a heartbreaking moment a while back. When Jeff Lynne released his last album he was on the syndicated live phone-in radio show Rockline. I was actually able to get through. I couldn't believe it. I was going to get to speak to one of my musical heroes! The call screener who answered the phone asked me what question I would like to ask Jeff. I said I would like to ask him how he felt about surround sound and if he would ever consider remixing the ELO catalog for 5.1. The call screener said it was a lousy question and wouldn't let me on the air. Apparently the person who asked "what's your favorite ELO album" had a much better question than I did! :howl

Nice try. I guess what you need to do is pull a "bait and switch" with a fake, lame question for the screener and your 5.1 mix question to the interviewee on the air.

Another VERY revealing interview with High-Res/Surround Guru Mike Mettler. The juiciest bit for me is when he talks about his upcoming remix of "Fragile". Enjoy!

I know you’ve worked on the surround sound and 96/24 mixes for Yes’ Fragile, which is coming out on Blu-ray in a few months. Many people, including me, were disappointed with the surround mix that came out on DVD-Audio in 2002. What can you say about your version of it in 5.1?

Um, I think mine’s better. (both laugh) I did listen to the original mix. It’s one of those things where you listen to someone else’s work — and obviously I’m a bit snobby about other people’s surround work because I’ve done so much of it of my own — but I listened to it and I went, “What were they thinking? I just don’t understand.”
Let’s just say my mix is — well, you know how I mix now. It’s a properly immersive surround-sound mix, and it’s very, very faithful to the original in terms of using the right takes and the right drum parts, which they didn’t do on the last one. It’s very faithful, and it’s very immersive. That’s how I’ve tried to be with pretty much all of my mixes, yeah.

Since Roundabout is such an iconic track on that album, can you pinpoint the differences between the old mix and your mix? That’s the first song many people are going to gravitate toward.

My thing is trying to create something that feels like it’s all glued together. Let me explain what I mean by that. Lots of surround mixes that I haven’t liked have most things happening in the stereo, flat at the front, and then occasionally, sounds will come out of the back, but they sound very disconnected from the sounds in the front. So my approach — which is something I learned from the beginning, watching Elliot [Scheiner] work — has always been to try and create a surround picture that feels cohesive. For example, I always bring the drums and the bass a little bit out into the room. And there is a little bit coming out of the back speakers too, so it doesn’t feel like you’ve got two completely disconnected bands — one playing in the front and one playing in the back.
I think with the mix I’ve done, there’s more coming out of the back at the start, but it doesn’t feel disconnected from the band — I hope. At the end of the day, doing a surround mix, by definition, requires you to an extent to pull things slightly apart, otherwise you end up without any surround element at all. The trick for me is always trying to keep that balance between keeping the cohesion but at the same time, create a three-dimensional soundfield.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/features/interview-steven-wilson-on-high-res-hand-cannot-erase/

When I was a teen back in the day I'm sure I wore the grooves out on my Fragile LP. I have to admit Fragile was the only Yes album that I knew. Can't wait for the SW 5.1. Should be on par with Aqualung - at least for me anyway.

A little off topic, but every time I hear "Fragile" I think of BTO Randy Bachman's "Not Fragile" retort release. "Not Fragile" came out in quad, maybe this is one AF can do on SACD. Who owns the BTO catalog?

Sorry, now I'm really off topic. Never-mind...

A little off topic, but every time I hear "Fragile" I think of BTO Randy Bachman's "Not Fragile" retort release. "Not Fragile" came out in quad, maybe this is one AF can do on SACD. Who owns the BTO catalog?

Sorry, now I'm really off topic. Never-mind...

"Not Fragile" has been released in quad on dts cd and the mix is lame compared to other quality quad mixes...

"Not Fragile" has been released in quad on dts cd and the mix is lame compared to other quality quad mixes...

I have and like the Q4. Forgot it was done in DTS-CD. I'll redirect my off-topic post to the DTS or Q4 "Not Fragile" review threads.

My three favorite ELO albums are ELO II, Eldorado and Out of the Blue. Heartbreaking to know that quad mixes of two of them have been collecting dust in a vault somewhere.

:(

There is supposed to have been a bootleg release of the quad mixes of ELO II. Like the bootleg release of the quad mixes of Madman Across The Water I have not been able to locate a copy but the search continues.

ELO EARLY YEARS the cd contains a number of SQ encoded tracks and two of them are from ELO 2.

The remainder are from the first album. I got my copy approx. 2 yrs back and was surprised it was still available. (2004 release)

"facethemusic"website should have info on what is still available, links, etc.

Fizz

Aqualung and Benefit are obvious to have been put down in 5.1. BUT why have they not done STAND UP yet? A brilliant album that showed the talents of the musicians,,, NOT over-produced crap that became rampant and was part and parceln of the "thing" that killed Rock & Roll.

Aqualung and Benefit are obvious to have been put down in 5.1. BUT why have they not done STAND UP yet? A brilliant album that showed the talents of the musicians,,, NOT over-produced crap that became rampant and was part and parceln of the "thing" that killed Rock & Roll.

I would love to see STAND UP and THIS WAS in the atypical book form, much like we see with the other releases (only one book would be required)

I don't have any inside information, however my 2015 predictions would include that we'll see a Tull sized (Passion Play, TAAB, War Child) version of this package this year.

From QQ Happy New Year

I don't have any inside information, however my 2015 predictions would include that we'll see a Tull sized (Passion Play, TAAB, War Child) version of this package this year.

From QQ Happy New Year

I wish they would focus on doing Blu-Ray Audio for the other 4 (soon to be 5) Tull surround mixes.
For goodness' sake, it's already 2015, so get with it already!

Plus not that anyone said otherwise on here, but I really feel like the reason why that set was so expensive was because of the vinyl.
I don't know whether vinyl is more expensive to replicate than Blu-Ray disc is, but I would say that it probably is, and if the vinyl was sold separately (as it should have been) the "Aqualung" set would have probably been 25-50% cheaper than it ended up being.

I wish they would focus on doing Blu-Ray Audio for the other 4 (soon to be 5) Tull surround mixes.
For goodness' sake, it's already 2015, so get with it already!

Plus not that anyone said otherwise on here, but I really feel like the reason why that set was so expensive was because of the vinyl.
I don't know whether vinyl is more expensive to replicate than Blu-Ray disc is, but I would say that it probably is, and if the vinyl was sold separately (as it should have been) the "Aqualung" set would have probably been 25-50% cheaper than it ended up being.

To my mind Vinyl and Digital (esoecially 5.1) should never appear in the same box they are two very different markets.

Fans will buy both if they want both but casual fans are more likely to buy one or the other depending on their preferred format. Aqualung is one I missed for exactly that reason, i ahve brought all the other JT 5.1s though even though I am not the biggest JT fan.

To my mind Vinyl and Digital (esoecially 5.1) should never appear in the same box they are two very different markets.

Fans will buy both if they want both but casual fans are more likely to buy one or the other depending on their preferred format. Aqualung is one I missed for exactly that reason, i ahve brought all the other JT 5.1s though even though I am not the biggest JT fan.

I agree. For me vinyl is obsolete. I only buy DVDS, DVD Audios, SACDS and Blu Rays.

Back