DVD & BluRay isolated 5.1 soundtracks

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to go OT, don't forget the Koyaanisqatsi DVD-Audio :)

Thanks! Judging from the reviews on the forum here it appears to have a rather conservative classical-type surround mix. It is also the 1998 re-recording so I may just stick to my CD of that same recording. After some searching I found some info on the Blu-Ray audio:

The original four-track Dolby mix has been remastered for 5.1 DTS-HD MA, and the result is a strong, involving soundfield that keeps all speakers firing. Reverb and ambient effects are directed to the surrounds and there's enough deep bass to keep your room humming. - See more at: http://www.filmfreakcentral.net/ffc/2013/01/the-qatsi-trilogy.html#sthash.BOwLzQy2.dpuf

So a similar surround presentation to the DVD-A. Regardless, the Criterion trilogy looks outstanding.

Thanks! Judging from the reviews on the forum here it appears to have a rather conservative classical-type surround mix. It is also the 1998 re-recording so I may just stick to my CD of that same recording. After some searching I found some info on the Blu-Ray audio:

The original four-track Dolby mix has been remastered for 5.1 DTS-HD MA, and the result is a strong, involving soundfield that keeps all speakers firing. Reverb and ambient effects are directed to the surrounds and there's enough deep bass to keep your room humming. - See more at: http://www.filmfreakcentral.net/ffc/2013/01/the-qatsi-trilogy.html#sthash.BOwLzQy2.dpuf

So a similar surround presentation to the DVD-A. Regardless, the Criterion trilogy looks outstanding.

The DVD-A is very good.. well, I like it :eek:

I was unaware of this release. How is the surround mix? Years ago in Chicago I saw the Phillip Glass Ensemble accompany a screening of Koyaanisqatsi. It was absolutely brilliant.

All are mixed discretely, however gently (if that makes sense). The Yo Yo Ma disc is the best IMO. If you are moved by Philip Glass' modernism then this is a no brainer! The movies as a whole are visually compelling and each offers it's own reward.

Last edited:
The Mummy: Collector's Edition - From the main menu click in Languages. Once the animation is complete Jerry Goldsmith's score plays uncut from start to finish.

Interesting score, not much in the rears, mostly ambiance.

Unfortunately it seems they didn't repeat this easter egg on The Mummy Returns.
Link to correct version please? I have bought this title twice now with no score. Cheers.

THX 1138 had something like this, only the music but with the sound effects. Unfortunally there are lots of computer voices that count as sound effect too.
I recently found out the James Bond DVD Tomorrow Never Dies has a Special Play option for isolated music (as listed here).

THX 1138 had something like this, only the music but with the sound effects. Unfortunally there are lots of computer voices that count as sound effect too.
I recently found out the James Bond DVD Tomorrow Never Dies has a Special Play option for isolated music (as listed here).

Is the music interrupted by minutes of silence throughout? Or just music on it's own?

Back