Dolby Bows Revolutionary New Atmos Platform

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonzodog

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Nobody does a demo like Dolby. And the company’s latest debut of its latest technology, formally shown to the world late-April at CinemaCon, just may be its best. It’s certainly the most innovative—from both a creative and a playback perspective—from the company that made 5.1 part of the vernacular.

Read More: http://mixonline.com/news/dolby_atmos_platform_2304/#

Nice link. I didn't think the article did a very good job of explaining object-oriented surround, however. I read about this- I think it was sound and vision. Instead of mixing to specific channels, object-oriented mixing specifies vectors for where sounds should be placed, then upon decoding, the software takes into account the # and placement of the speakers and uses the vectors to map them where they should go for the given system. So, whether your system is 5.1 or 55.1, the software will give the optimal results. Very neat! Much better than a new codec that does say 11.1 surround, that a 5.1 system would have to downmix.

Nice link. I didn't think the article did a very good job of explaining object-oriented surround, however. I read about this- I think it was sound and vision. Instead of mixing to specific channels, object-oriented mixing specifies vectors for where sounds should be placed, then upon decoding, the software takes into account the # and placement of the speakers and uses the vectors to map them where they should go for the given system. So, whether your system is 5.1 or 55.1, the software will give the optimal results. Very neat! Much better than a new codec that does say 11.1 surround, that a 5.1 system would have to downmix.

can you just imagine what it will do for music?

can you just imagine what it will do for music?

Maybe in a theater setting. But I have my doubts about home use. One wonders how many people will really buy more than 5.1 speakers.
Many people are still listening to two Stereo speakers or even one small Smartphone speaker.

I also remember the days of the 10.2 Surround demos at one of the audio shows. The source material was awful and so was the response to the demo.

On the other hand, technology like the Smyth Realiser provides believable 5.1 and even 7.1 Surround from Stereo Headphones.
So there are advances out there.

Maybe in a theater setting. But I have my doubts about home use. One wonders how many people will really buy more than 5.1 speakers.
Many people are still listening to two Stereo speakers or even one small Smartphone speaker.

I also remember the days of the 10.2 Surround demos at one of the audio shows. The source material was awful and so was the response to the demo.

On the other hand, technology like the Smyth Realiser provides believable 5.1 and even 7.1 Surround from Stereo Headphones.
So there are advances out there.

I checked out the Smyth sytem. Now that is home use and I imagine very close to what this is for speakers and the sweet spot. That Smyth sys. is something, I like the idea.

From the article it seems similar to Ambisonic.

From the article it seems similar to Ambisonic.

Sort of, but the idea seems to be a more technologically advanced version of what we've tried to do with ArcTan in SPEC, which is get away from only placing sound where the speakers should be, but create a 360 soundfield. This is interesting. Now, if it ever gets to the place where we're talking about this in a home theater setting is beyond me.

Well, Pixar's "Brave" opens in 14 theaters on June 22nd in Dolby Atmos. Dolby has issued a list of the theaters in a news release that's over on the Engadget web site at http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/16/dolby-atmos-brave-theater-locations/ along with some explanatory videos.

I was intrigued by their "Uber Mix" concept where the film can store up to 64 channels of Surround Info - anywhere from a 2.0 to a 62.2 Channel surround mix. Should be interesting to hear this in action.

http://news.yahoo.com/hobbit-released-dolby-atmos-070312203.html

Dolby Laboratories Inc. and director Peter Jackson's Park Road Post Production announced Wednesday that "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" will be mixed and released in Dolby Atmos, the company's immersive new sound system that features two extra arrays of overhead speakers and the ability to direct sounds to individual speakers inside movie theaters.

Kirk Bayne

After a successful campaign to prevent the legendary Olympic Studios in Barnes from turning into flats and a supermarket, the building reopens next month as a cinema kitted out with Dolby Atmos, with new recording studios to open there next year. In the UK the VUE chain are also installing Dolby Atmos in their newbuild cinemas, though retrofitting seems to be too expensive at the moment.

I know it's not relevant to home audio set-ups, but Dolby Atmos sounds like an amazing, immersive cinema experience - 64 speakers, with a load in the ceiling giving height as well as depth to sounds moving around.

http://www.dolby.com/gb/en/consumer/technology/movie/dolby-atmos-details.html

Has anyone here experienced a film in Dolby Amos yet?

I did catch the last Die Hard movie in Dolby Atmos. So much going on it was overwhelming.
I'd like to see another movie in Atmos to compare.

As for theater deals, the Cinemark chain has compared Atmos and Aero and decided to go with the competition - Barco's Aero 11.1 format.
So our local Dolby Atmos theater is heading the other way. See http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/f16/t001586.html

The format war is heating up.....

I saw The Hobbit at The Embassy here in Wellington in Dolby Atmos.

The world premiere for the The Hobbit was in this cinema.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embassy_Theatre,_Wellington

I must admit that I wasn't impressed (as much as I expected)....

As a new format, it may take time for the mixers to learn how to best use Atmos - and the Aero format.
I'm planning to see more films in Atmos - and Aero when it arrives - to see how things progress.

Always nice to see more Surround Sound options springing up!

The newly-opened space movie Gravity is in Atmos. Given that the film has been raved about by every-critic, and boasts sensational native 3D - even 3D hater Mark Kermode was blown away - I plan to find an Atmos capable London cinema showing it and check it out. I'm ridiculously busy right now,but when i succeed I will report back.

The newly-opened space movie Gravity is in Atmos. Given that the film has been raved about by every-critic, and boasts sensational native 3D - even 3D hater Mark Kermode was blown away - I plan to find an Atmos capable London cinema showing it and check it out. I'm ridiculously busy right now,but when i succeed I will report back.

My brother, who is also a Surround Sound fan, saw Gravity at a Atmos equipped theater. He says it's a must-see/hear movie in Atmos. On my list to check it out.

Back