Reality Technologies - New surround technology

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Charlie & David ( and other Quad members )

I've read a fair bit of this thread, and you will have to excuse me, ( i suffer from M.E. / CFS...so " cognitive function " not great...taking in info...and even worse when it gets more technical ! )
Basically, what does this product offer in the most simplistic terms ? Am i right in assuming, it plays back 2 channel stereo ( RBCD's & other formats ? ) in a surround mode ? Also is it connected to your cd / universal player or AVR ?
Finally, i noted the price & postal charges, but as oversea's customers ( U.K. here ) would we not get very heavily stung with customs charges ??
Thanks for any feedback.

Hi Oxforddickie

Should be interesting for both of us but lets make it happen early next year when we have done the SQ core matrix equation module. I am sure you have used many great concepts in your software. Lets keep in touch!

Regards

Charlie

Yea, let me know as and when....

In short, yes. The SQ part will be SQ by the book, and that model will not have the TSS mode, it will simply replace the TSS mode. So it will be our QS based decode, and the SQ decode.
As I think Charlie said, that comes next year, however we will be able to do conversion on the TSS units, for only the cost of shipping.
That option sounds very, very intriguing. Nothing against the TSS mode (I'd like to hear what it does myself), but as you've obviously figured out everyone around here really wants SQ. Being able to buy the decoder and get it converted later is a very appealing prospect. Can we get a firm confirmation on that?

Your efforts in this endeavor are very much appreciated.

Thank you all for your further hammering out the details on this. From past posts, it seemed like more was moved away from standard QS decoding than just the logic. Improving on the logic is a good thing! As we all know, even the best QS/SQ hardware decoders could still use some improvement in the logic area.

So the special box (and the conversion) will have both QS and SQ! This makes it extremely desireable. I would say most people here would agree with that sentament. If everything ends up as described. This very well will be the end all of quad decoders. Especially if you are going to be working with the feedback of the brains like oxforddickie.

Any idea what the conversion will cost? I'm sure there are some people (like me) who have the unfortunate side effect of wanting to wait it out till the SQ/QS box (I have to play my cards right cause I don't have much money to start with).

I must say that I'm a little confused about the TSS mode, how it is different, how you switch it on and off. I thought I finally understood everything. Now I don't know what I'll be missing without the TSS mode :mad:@:

Hi dixie4

Actually you are much closer to our target market compared to the surround "hard cases " of this forum. We think existing surround is somewhat over complicated and limited in that the listener needs to know something about the material they will play in say 5.1 - is it dolby digital, DTS or just plain stereo - all of which require different menu's etc.

It is one of our main aims with the Surround Master to provide a surround decoder that is good enough to ALWAYS work from the stereo outputs of your CD, DVD, Bluray, tuner, tape, cassette, mp3, cable tv etc. in short set and forget. In all cases we typically produce a better more realistic surround compared to Discrete.

In addition with the Surround Master EVERY ONE can enjoy some sort of surround even if their room is too small for rear or side speakers. You can get surround with 2, 4 or the dreaded 5.1 mess. It will produce a very convincing surround from virtually all formats but as discussed in this forum purist SQ people may differ for the moment (I have enjoyed many good SQ recording through it). No system is universal but for the "average punter" Surround Master comes close.

Yes it is small and we think quite cheap but it really is a "wolf in sheep's clothing", internally it is a full tri band, 6 way dual slope time constant DSP algorithm with extensive use of psychoacoustic techniques to keep the listener blissfully unaware of the work it is doing.

I am not sure about the duty situation - I will ask our commercial people on Monday and report the answer to this forum.

Hope that help clarify things.

Regards

Chucky

Hello Charlie & David ( and other Quad members )

I've read a fair bit of this thread, and you will have to excuse me, ( i suffer from M.E. / CFS...so " cognitive function " not great...taking in info...and even worse when it gets more technical ! )
Basically, what does this product offer in the most simplistic terms ? Am i right in assuming, it plays back 2 channel stereo ( RBCD's & other formats ? ) in a surround mode ? Also is it connected to your cd / universal player or AVR ?
Finally, i noted the price & postal charges, but as oversea's customers ( U.K. here ) would we not get very heavily stung with customs charges ??
Thanks for any feedback.

Ho Bangsezmax

Absolutely confirmed, free of charge - except postage costs.

Regards

chucky

That option sounds very, very intriguing. Nothing against the TSS mode (I'd like to hear what it does myself), but as you've obviously figured out everyone around here really wants SQ. Being able to buy the decoder and get it converted later is a very appealing prospect. Can we get a firm confirmation on that?

Your efforts in this endeavor are very much appreciated.

Hi Q8

As stated before - zero program/ handling fee but you pay postage costs.

Re TSS mode, its like rebooting a computer - turn it off (front switch), switch to TSS mode, Turn on. The unit then reboots in TSS mode.

Regards

Chucky

Thank you all for your further hammering out the details on this. From past posts, it seemed like more was moved away from standard QS decoding than just the logic. Improving on the logic is a good thing! As we all know, even the best QS/SQ hardware decoders could still use some improvement in the logic area.

So the special box (and the conversion) will have both QS and SQ! This makes it extremely desireable. I would say most people here would agree with that sentament. If everything ends up as described. This very well will be the end all of quad decoders. Especially if you are going to be working with the feedback of the brains like oxforddickie.

Any idea what the conversion will cost? I'm sure there are some people (like me) who have the unfortunate side effect of wanting to wait it out till the SQ/QS box (I have to play my cards right cause I don't have much money to start with).

I must say that I'm a little confused about the TSS mode, how it is different, how you switch it on and off. I thought I finally understood everything. Now I don't know what I'll be missing without the TSS mode :mad:@:

Hello Again Q8

Forgot to comment, TSS is a good two speaker surround virtualiser. I think it is one of the better ones I have heard. Its difference compared to others is that it derives its surround input from the INVOLVE decoder surround channels - in other words it uses full surround decoding. Most others just use a fee "tricks" to broaden the feeling of the sound.

Regards

Chucky

Hey there all,

Sorry for the delay, interesting weekend.
Anyway, the QQ discount code is: SM1269CD

The way it works is, you add the product to your cart, then when you go through to the payment, it will take you to the PayPal website where you put in all the details you need, and authorise it - at this point the price will not be change, but don't worry, you won't be charged at this point./ After you deal with Paypal, you will be sent BACK to the Involve website where you can put in the discount code and then finalize the purchase.

Sorry if this seems counter-intuitive, it does to us as well. It's just the way that Paypal handles their express checkout cart.

For UK/EU people, I've submitted a request to find out how much duty there will be on the product, we will absorb that cost ( I believe excise and duty has to be paid by the retailer anyway before we send it) - They haven't gotten back to us yet, hopefully it won't be too long.

Cheers
David.

Thank you David for your earlier reply. ( i have looked at your updated website since ) Excuse my ignorance, but i don't know what SQ / QS means....? I await to hear regards customs taxes / duties....how long will the offer be open to QQ members ?

Cheers.

Dixie4

Thank you David for your earlier reply. ( i have looked at your updated website since ) Excuse my ignorance, but i don't know what SQ / QS means....? I await to hear regards customs taxes / duties....how long will the offer be open to QQ members ?

Cheers.

Dixie4

A senior member and you don't know whart SQ & QS are? well, i guess this is a fair place to start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadraphonic_sound

Hi

Thanks oxforddickie!

The offer is for 3 months.

Please note the special QS/ SQ switch-able unit for QQ members will be priced at $495 (to help pay for R+D given low market volume). Simple maths tells me that there is no cost penalty for buying the standard unit at $395 and taking advantage of the free software modification offer!! Hint Hint.

Regards

charlie

Cheers.

Dixie4

A senior member and you don't know whart SQ & QS are? well, i guess this is a fair place to start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadraphonic_sound

.....i assumed it stood for Quadraphonic Sound, Mr. Dickie !....but i read so much technical terms on here...that i doubted my instinct. :)

Unless i've misunderstood, those of you that are collectors of Quad, are holding back from purchasing, because Involve box doesn't decode Quad ? Forgive me if i've got this totally wrong !!

For Charlie & David, is there any benefit when playing Superaudio CD's 5.1 / DVD-A's through your Involve box ?

Hi Charlie,
Can you confirm that the center channel issue in 5.1 mode has be resolved?

Regards,
Reagan

Unless i've misunderstood, those of you that are collectors of Quad, are holding back from purchasing, because Involve box doesn't decode Quad ? Forgive me if i've got this totally wrong !!

For Charlie & David, is there any benefit when playing Superaudio CD's 5.1 / DVD-A's through your Involve box ?

Hey there - Quad is the generic term for four speaker sound. SQ and QS are different types of Quad format, you see.

As for playing back SACD/DVD-A - that largely depends. I mean, you'll get the usual advantage of the higher bitrate audio compared to playing a CD through it.
But if the SACD/DVD-A you're playing has a deliberately mastered surround mix (For example, the recent "Wish you were here" SACD release that was remastered recently and has a surround mix on it), then largely you will get no advantage in terms of where the audio is placed - I say that because audio mixes are generally far more deliberate than movie mixes, and the time has been taken to realise the artistic vision of the producer / mixer / artist / whoever.

Having said that, we've had a few music dvd's where we found that the Surround Master decode of the stereo output of the DVD was actually superior in terms of placement. Whether the mix was rushed, or we just disagreed with the mixing placement is a separate discussion :)

Personally speaking, I think that even if there is a surround version on the disc, we do end up with a more integrated surround image, since the surround master pulls out a little bit extra that makes it more...well, I hate to say involving, but that's kind of the point.

As for the SQ/QS question, We chose QS because it's a superior format mathematically, and is better at decoding surround from straight stereo sources. SQ tends to have more deliberately created content available, and as Charlie said, we will have a version next year that does SQ/QS versions of Involve, rather than TSS / INVOLVE.

Does that cover your questions?

Hi Charlie,
Can you confirm that the center channel issue in 5.1 mode has be resolved?

Regards,
Reagan

Hey there Reagan,

Yes, after several severe beatings (which I did my best not to enjoy), and some time alone in a dark cave with barely a trickle of sunlight and a basil plant to sustain me, the Centre channel issue was resolved to our satisfaction. It's amazing what three months shut-in can do for your figure, btw. Beats dieting any day.

David

Hey there Reagan,

Yes, after several severe beatings (which I did my best not to enjoy), and some time alone in a dark cave with barely a trickle of sunlight and a basil plant to sustain me, the Centre channel issue was resolved to our satisfaction. It's amazing what three months shut-in can do for your figure, btw. Beats dieting any day.

David

Hi David,
Thank you for the confirmation and your hard work. I placed my order today and looking forward to hearing what it will do. Take care.

Reagan

Got mine on xmas eve -- four days from Australia to NC!

Listening to my QS LPs now, and all I can say is "wow!" :cool:

I've been through three different sets of QS boards on my QRX-999. Recapped, readjusted, blend resistors removed, etc, etc. None of them sounded as good as this. I'm very impressed. I'll write a longer review later, but I'll say that this is a keeper. Can't wait for the SQ mod if it sounds anywhere near as good as it does in QS.

Thanks for the work on this guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back