Reality Technologies - New surround technology

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Varian you've been asking the same stuff for months on here (about 12 times in different threads) and you've had proper replies ....
please stop infecting so many threads with the same questions.

Hi Varian

Go back to page 1

Regards
charlie

Hi,
What is Reality Technologies? Can you make Stereo CD's and Music on a Ipod in to Quadraphonic Sound? So I have a cd player and Ipod and would like to make the music on them in to Quadraphonic Sound for recoding on to a reel to reel Quadraphonic tape player. What kind of computer software I would need? Is Reality Technologies a computer software? What the name of the computer software? Where would I get the computer software? Where can I get Reality Technologies? How much does the computer software cost? How much does Reality Technologies cost? Email Me Back.

Thanks,
Varian

Hi I been trying to find an answer to my question and finally found the answer. I sorry if that bother you. I will not ask that question again. Hope you have a Happy New Year.

Thanks,
Varian

Charles - I would want to use the Involve processor with a pre amp and four separate mono power amps (of two types). Am I right in assuming that front / rear phasing remains as important with the Involve unit as with other matrix decoders? The installation guide and instructions are based on the assumed use of a single 4ch amp and so I guess it has been presumed that channel phasing is not an issue - however how might this be best assured when using separate amplifiers? It's something I've struggled with in the past and have never been fully convinced by the phasing tracks on the various test discs and have often fiddled repeatedly with the Phase Switch my SQD2020 for example. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Hi Soundfield

Phasing is important for both stereo and surround. Ultimately you really must rely on stereo phase test disks (test the 4 mono blocks separately with the stereo phase check and ensure consistency). Alternatively if you can connect all 4 mono blocks to the same mono channel and same volume, if you have access to a multimeter you should measure close to zero Volts between all channels (meter set to AC Volts).

Best Regards

Chucky

I've spent some time trawling through HMRC's rather convoluted website and could only find the following reference to prepayment of duty -

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channels...CE_CL_000014&propertyType=document#P162_14235

which reads:
"3.4 Prepayment of import VAT on goods purchased over the internet or by mail order
HMRC has special arrangements that allow some overseas traders to charge, collect and pay over to us the import VAT for goods purchased by mail order, that would normally be chargeable at the time the goods are imported. These arrangements operate under Memoranda of Understanding (MoU) signed with certain overseas customs and postal authorities. The countries that have an MoU with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) are: the Channel Islands, Hong Kong, Singapore and New Zealand. Overseas traders wanting to use this procedure must be authorised to do so by their authorities
."

I guess there may also be special arrangements with Australia, but I could find no reference to any. (good luck with any attempt to get an answer from HMRC by the way - they are notorious for their 'customer service'!)

The calculator I used is not itself actually part of the HMRC site, but one of several on the web and this one
can be found at-

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

Happy New Year to you all!

Sadly, you are totally correct in everything you say here.
HMRC are a bad joke in a lot of respects - large companies can do as they please & write their own tax bills but the little guys get creamed every time.
One of the worst things about the VAT on Import is that the Post Office tend to apply this on behalf of HMRC and they never issue a proper VAT invoice (which is supposed to be illegal for a business import). Call the PO to ask for this & they say they are not obliged to give me a VAT invoice, call HMRC and they tell me I must have one to reclaim the VAT yet they also tell me to talk to the Post Office about the invoice problem as it is "nothing to do with them".

Chucky - can I send you an email, please? I have an idea I want to discuss with you.....
if this is okay, just PM me your email address?

HMRC are a bad joke in a lot of respects - large companies can do as they please & write their own tax bills but the little guys get creamed every time.
One of the worst things about the VAT on Import is that the Post Office tend to apply this on behalf of HMRC and they never issue a proper VAT invoice (which is supposed to be illegal for a business import). Call the PO to ask for this & they say they are not obliged to give me a VAT invoice, call HMRC and they tell me I must have one to reclaim the VAT yet they also tell me to talk to the Post Office about the invoice problem as it is "nothing to do with them".

Chucky - can I send you an email, please? I have an idea I want to discuss with you.....

I think it's called passing the buck ! ( Customs duties, like most things, is just another way of getting money out of people. ) No justification for it at all !!

Hi Soundfield
....if you can connect all 4 mono blocks to the same mono channel and same volume, if you have access to a multimeter you should measure close to zero Volts between all channels (meter set to AC Volts).

Best Regards

Chucky

Hi Chucky - thanks for that , it had never occurred to me to do it that way:rolleyes: Cheers!

I've spent some time trawling through HMRC's rather convoluted website and could only find the following reference to prepayment of duty -

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channels...CE_CL_000014&propertyType=document#P162_14235

which reads:
"3.4 Prepayment of import VAT on goods purchased over the internet or by mail order
HMRC has special arrangements that allow some overseas traders to charge, collect and pay over to us the import VAT for goods purchased by mail order, that would normally be chargeable at the time the goods are imported. These arrangements operate under Memoranda of Understanding (MoU) signed with certain overseas customs and postal authorities. The countries that have an MoU with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) are: the Channel Islands, Hong Kong, Singapore and New Zealand. Overseas traders wanting to use this procedure must be authorised to do so by their authorities
."

Further reading of the material on HMRC's sprawling website uncovers the following (which doesn't seem entirely consistent with the above!)-

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/internet.htm#5

and reads:
Goods ordered online from outside the EU...Some Internet sellers outside the EU have arrangements with the UK whereby you pay them the VAT that's due on the goods you're ordering. They then pay the VAT to their postal authority - which in turn pays it to HM Revenue & Customs. Note that these sellers must be authorised to do this. They'll have a special number that will be on the Customs Declaration. The declaration should also carry a message saying 'Import VAT pre-paid'. When this arrangement is used you won't be charged any import VAT or a Royal Mail handling fee when you get your parcel. Note that if the above procedures aren't followed properly you could end up losing the goods

Which is perhaps what Overture was thinking off in the first place. However I've not been able to determine how a retailer actually goes about setting up such an arrangement (this may well be state secret!).

Hi Soundfield

Thank you for your observations, I have passed it on to our commercial people.

My email is

[email protected]

You are all free to contact me at any time with ideas or suggestions, we will respond to all. (you don't get that from Dolby etc!!!!)

Regards

Chucky

Hi Again

I have had some set up questions from some members that should be best answered by our user manual. I have attached a pdf of the latest for your enjoyment.

Regards

Chucky

Attachments

• SM-465_UserManual.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 214
Playing Electric Ladyland through the Surround Master now. It is crazy active! My son just walked in the room and his eyes got wide when he heard all of the stuff bouncing around the room.

This thing is waaaay cool!:phones

Anxiety is growing over here. Still waiting for it to arrive. I love our mail service. They probably hav it for a while but has not bothered to send it home... grrrrrr

Hi Inkubuzz

How many days since you ordered?

I am told we can ship within say 4 -5 days assuming we did not slow down at our end due to Xmas.

Regards

Chucky

Anxiety is growing over here. Still waiting for it to arrive. I love our mail service. They probably hav it for a while but has not bothered to send it home... grrrrrr

Well I received my unit on Friday. Haven't had to much time to use it. First title I played was Captain Beyond S/T and Sufficiently Breathless. WOW!!!!! I am very impressed. I got the discount, so I need to write a more detailed review as requested. Look forward to checking out how it does on different CDs. The more out of phase information present, the more impressive results. Well worth the price.

I think I ordered around Dec 15th, but I got an email it was already sent by you on Dec 20th. I also got a tracking number but its not trackable. Im sure its Chilean mailing service. Its been having a lot of problems since december. I think i still have to wait a while. Thank you for your concern. I sure will let you know when it arrives.

Cristobal

Hi Inkubuzz

How many days since you ordered?

I am told we can ship within say 4 -5 days assuming we did not slow down at our end due to Xmas.

Regards

Chucky

Last edited:
Now that I had a chance to listen to more CDs through the Surround Master, I have noticed an issue. In the 4 speaker configuration, no center speaker, the vocals are too low in the mix. In the 5 speaker configuration, the vocals are mainly coming from the center speaker. The problem is the center channel is notably louder than the right and left channel. To my ears, the 5.1 configuration sounds better than the 4.1 configuration. The vocal presence is quite diminished in the 4.1 configuration. In the 5.1 configuration, the vocal presence is there, but the channel level is too high. I’m tempted to install a 3dB in-line attenuator on the center channel. I would appreciate any advice.

Now that I had a chance to listen to more CDs through the Surround Master, I have noticed an issue. In the 4 speaker configuration, no center speaker, the vocals are too low in the mix. In the 5 speaker configuration, the vocals are mainly coming from the center speaker. The problem is the center channel is notably louder than the right and left channel. To my ears, the 5.1 configuration sounds better than the 4.1 configuration. The vocal presence is quite diminished in the 4.1 configuration. In the 5.1 configuration, the vocal presence is there, but the channel level is too high. I’m tempted to install a 3dB in-line attenuator on the center channel. I would appreciate any advice.
You're switching the cables in the back when you go between the two settings, right?

Yes, between the 2 settings, I just remove the center channel connection from the surround master and the amplifier. I started listening in 4-channel mode and felt the vocals were too low. Added the center channel and the vocals were mostly coming from the center channel. Some vocals were present in the left/right at a much lower volume. Just to be sure, I turned of the surround master before changing any connection.

That is something that I have wondered as well. Is there a way to switch it between 4 and 5.1 channels? Is it supposed to automatically sense the connections? Are you loosing info when you don't have a center and a sub hooked up?

From what bangsezmax said, it seems that you are supposed to disconnect the other cables and reset when going from 5.1 to 4. That seems slightly inconvenient. One would think you could just leave them connected and switch modes like you can with other equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back