HiRez Poll Storm Corrosion - STORM CORROSION [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Storm Corrosion - STORM CORROSION

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comment on the debut album of the musical collaboration between Mikael Åkerfeldt, of Opeth and Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree, called STORM CORROSION. Released on Roadrunner Records as a deluxe CD/Blu-Ray Audio package.

Storm Corrosion.jpg

Upon first listen, I'm very pleased. Very moody and atmospheric - layers upon layers of melancholy - primarily acoustic with just the right amount of electronic flourishes - perfect for this rainy day music. This is not your mother's Porcupine Tree. I'll withhold my final assessment upon further review but so far so good - the mix is, as one can imagine, flawless.

Hello. Totally agree on all of the above. VERY relaxing to listen to. Mikael's fliud guitar lines are wonderful. The recording is top shelf. Stellar mix, obviously. What else can you say. A 10 around the horn. Thanks.

It'll take me a bit before I'm ready to vote but I will say that this disc really does shine in surround where it leaves me somewhat flat otherwise. My first listen was when I was working outside my listening room and I was not impressed from what I heard echoing through the hall. My second listen was while reading and sitting in the sweet spot of my surround system. There is a fair bit of intimacy here that shows well in high resolution surround.

Having my second listen now.... I think this will be one of those ones that grows on you.

I like the idea of a CD/Blu-ray combo... I assume they'll put it in the normal cd racks... that might confuse a few people...

Its early Saturday morning here - after a "bit of a session" last night - watching the "lava lamp meets aztec pictures" is not helping my hangover. :mad:@:

I really want to listen to this but i don't have a blu ray system, is there a link from which i can digitaly buy it?(sorry if i'm being off topic).

It would be nice if there was a dvd version of the surround mix,bluray is not that accesible to everybody.Thanks for the replies anyway :)

The sound is spectacular. The music is intriguing but not necessarily my cup of tea, so the most I can give it is a 9. I don't find the music off-putting or inaccessible; it's just so different from what I'm used to. However, it is somewhat reminiscent of GFD and Heritage.

I've listened to the disc a few times now. I have to confess I broke my rule of listening in stereo first until I'm familiar with the music on this one as I was really looking forward to hearing it. The quality of the sound and the mix is unquestionable. The occasional rear channel effect surprises you but for the most part there is a great sense of a fullness and depth in the sound. The music itself is not unpleasant, there is a lot of polished ambience in it, not much in the way of toe-tapping or melodies to hum along to. It is also not as dark as I thought it could be. I am not sure yet whether I like it as much as SW's solo work, I definitely don't think it will rank alongside my favourite PT work though. As I ranked my favourite PT work a 10 I rate this a 9, it would be 9.5 if voting allowed that. I bought the T-shirt at the same time and that looks amazing, a definite 10 :)

I really want to listen to this but i don't have a blu ray system, is there a link from which i can digitaly buy it?(sorry if i'm being off topic).

If you own an i- phone, (and probably any other 'smart phone' variant) you can download an app titled 'jb hi-fi NOW' and this will give you access to the entire stereo album for free. I had my 1st listen via these means.

PS : For those Aussies out there, i saw this album on the cd shelves inclusive of the blu-ray ( 'Metal' section- believe it or not,) for $ 25 bucks.

If you own an i- phone, (and probably any other 'smart phone' variant) you can download an app titled 'jb hi-fi NOW' and this will give you access to the entire stereo album for free. I had my 1st listen via these means.

PS : For those Aussies out there, i saw this album on the cd shelves inclusive of the blu-ray ( 'Metal' section- believe it or not,) for $ 25 bucks.
Well thanks,but i already have the stereo album,i'm just really eager to listen the 5.1 mix.

Just arrived in my mailbox yesterday and I gave it the first 5.1 spin today. I'll hold off on an "official" vote/rating until I've played it at least a couple more times but my first impression is *very* positive, on an album I was very skeptical about. Very subdued album for the most part, and the surround mix (on first listen) is simply sublime. I'd read in one of the interviews that Steven was especially proud of this 5.1 mix and I can see why.

The mix is sublime... a great recording also helps!!! It really opens everthing up....

What a recording! I really enjoyed this. As much as I enjoyed GFD there were some rock parts that were a bit jarring (actually there are a couple on this as well) from the extremely well crafted instrumental and vocal harmonizations. This takes it up a notch from there and I was extremely pleased to hear the music getting the top bill. The vocal harmonies are beautifully crafted. This is a very relaxed listen. I've played it pretty much every day since getting it. I am very glad not to have heard the stereo version. Didn't even go there with Steve Wilson. In fact, I can't imagine ever being satisfied with hearing a stereo version of this. Sometimes you just cannot go back. Interesting with all this talk of Dolby TrueHD coming to bluray audio that the standard DTS HD MA is used here. I've always preferred DTS myself when comparing. Great job here. I wish more stuff came out this adventurous and accessible.

Like this album very much. Some of the interviews had comments that it would be some crazy style, but it sounds great, a bit like Together we're stranger from no-man. Mix is great as always. The title track is my favorite right now. Magic when Steven sings his la,la's in his high voice.

Just one question, are the instrumentals only in 2.0? When I select the track and press audio onnthe Oppo, I get 3 audio streams but cannot select the second or third stream. Operation blocked by disc comes on the screen. So I guess these are stereo only?

Amen to that. I have a decidedly mid fi system. That said this may become one of my most played surround discs. I love the rich vocal harmonies. Those are probably my favorite parts of the album. I could literally listen to like an hour of that chanting sound with the modern production work. Awesome. My system has never sounded better.

I'm going to give it a 9. The sound quality and mix are absolutely stellar... a 10 for sure. But, I am not totally hooked on the music itself yet. I don't enjoy the music as much as Grace for Drowning or Heritage. I think I need to be in the right mood to thoroughly enjoy this, and therefore it will not get as much time in the Oppo as other albums.

Back