HiRez Poll Storm Corrosion - STORM CORROSION [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Storm Corrosion - STORM CORROSION

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
I'm going to give it a 9. The sound quality and mix are absolutely stellar... a 10 for sure. But, I am not totally hooked on the music itself yet. I don't enjoy the music as much as Grace for Drowning or Heritage. I think I need to be in the right mood to thoroughly enjoy this, and therefore it will not get as much time in the Oppo as other albums.
I found that the music kicked in after the 5th or 6th listen.

Really good. The music reminds me of some great stuff that was made in the mid-70s. And it makes a perfect combination with a surround mix.

I love it when the guitar kicks in in the eponymous track in Surround Left it gets me every time. Surround heaven..

I hope SW wins a Grammy this time for this.

I'm a big fan of both Steven Wilson and Opeth (Mikael Åkerfeldt) so bought this album on pre-order waaaay back. I've played the stereo version a lot; enough to know that those who say it takes 5 or 6 listens to gain traction from a composition perspective are spot on - I must have played the CD some 20 times or more. But I have only just acquired a BluRay player so the surround mix sat on my shelf until last weekend when it became the first BluRay to be played on my new Cambridge Audio 752.

What a revelation and what a stunning mix! To hear all these songs that I already knew well open up so exquisitely in the surround-sound-field is an absolute joy! Like a lot of other people I have been playing "The Raven" quite a lot (!) and hearing Storm Corrosion in surround made me appreciate it as a pre-cursor to The Raven. Not so much musically, but from a production and mixing point of view for sure. It exhibits the same incredible clarity, separation of the instrumentation, attention to detail, beautiful layering and creative use of the sound-field that The Raven does. Having said that it has, imho, much more ambiance than The Raven and really showcases the treatment of Steven's vocal; just listen to the clarity and crispness when he takes a breath before coming in on "The Hag" - pure magic!

Steven has been very good at surround mixing right form the early days (anyone know what his first was?) but it seems to me that he really honed and mastered his craft on this album, raising the bar by several notches. It's very, very beautiful and (again) I thank the gods of surround that we have Mr.Wilson creating music to exercise our systems! This should be part of anyone's surround collection. A sure fire 10 and if I could give it more I would.

10 for the great mix and sound. 0 for the extras, can not give it a 5 that is too low, but as the disc lacks any extras I have marked it down by a point.
In comparrison to 'Raven ...' and 'Grace ...' for instance where there are so many extyras.

What can I say?

This has always been one of my favorite albums and surround mixes since it was first released in May 2012.
I didn't have much time to listen to the surround mix when it first came out as I graduated from college that weekend and then jumped on a Caribbean cruise ship for a week with several friends.
I have since revisited this surround mix several times although I have never had a chance to review it yet.
How can an album be both really beautiful, yet so dark and disturbing at the same time? This is the paradox of this album, but that's why I love it.

This is one of those albums that was truly designed with surround sound in mind, with plenty of dynamic range!
Tracks like "Drag Ropes" really come alive with the layers of strings and choir vocals, complete with some really terrific percussion playing from Gavin Harrison.
Lead vocals (and occasionally Mikael Akerfeldt's stunning lead guitar work) really stand out in the center channel, so make sure yours is setup properly so you get the right level going so you can appreciate it for what it is.
At the start of the title track, I really enjoy hearing Akerfeldt's beautiful guitar work in the surround channels while the flute and lead vocal come up from the front before the track continues to grow into some very disturbing and dark sections.
The middle of 'Hag' has to win the award for darkest section of the album by far, but it works really well in surround. It's a full-on onslaught of sound with Gavin Harrison's drum work largely anchored in the front.
The surround mix on "Lock Howl" is particularly effective with the picking acoustic guitars and strings placed in the surround channels along with all of the other sounds placed around them in the front.
The ending track is like gazing up into the sky and seeing so much beauty in it. That's really the best way I can describe it.

To my knowledge, there are very few copies left of this album on Blu-Ray with the surround mix, so if you can find one for a good price, do not hesitate to get it, as you do not want to be missing out on one of the best surround albums of all time!

A very big '10' indeed! :)

What can I say?

This has always been one of my favorite albums and surround mixes since it was first released in May 2012.
I didn't have much time to listen to the surround mix when it first came out as I graduated from college that weekend and then jumped on a Caribbean cruise ship for a week with several friends.
I have since revisited this surround mix several times although I have never had a chance to review it yet.
How can an album be both really beautiful, yet so dark and disturbing at the same time? This is the paradox of this album, but that's why I love it.

This is one of those albums that was truly designed with surround sound in mind, with plenty of dynamic range!
Tracks like "Drag Ropes" really come alive with the layers of strings and choir vocals, complete with some really terrific percussion playing from Gavin Harrison.
Lead vocals (and occasionally Mikael Akerfeldt's stunning lead guitar work) really stand out in the center channel, so make sure yours is setup properly so you get the right level going so you can appreciate it for what it is.
At the start of the title track, I really enjoy hearing Akerfeldt's beautiful guitar work in the surround channels while the flute and lead vocal come up from the front before the track continues to grow into some very disturbing and dark sections.
The middle of 'Hag' has to win the award for darkest section of the album by far, but it works really well in surround. It's a full-on onslaught of sound with Gavin Harrison's drum work largely anchored in the front.
The surround mix on "Lock Howl" is particularly effective with the picking acoustic guitars and strings placed in the surround channels along with all of the other sounds placed around them in the front.
The ending track is like gazing up into the sky and seeing so much beauty in it. That's really the best way I can describe it.

To my knowledge, there are very few copies left of this album on Blu-Ray with the surround mix, so if you can find one for a good price, do not hesitate to get it, as you do not want to be missing out on one of the best surround albums of all time!

A very big '10' indeed! :)

Awesome, the way you describe it makes it sound like "my kind of music...and my kind of mix" I'm sold...now I need to find a copy.
Thanks!!

Is anyone still listening to this title? For me it was twice and done. There seems to be too much competition lately of OFF (Old Fart Friendly) titles to listen to, both from Steven Wilson himself and Audio Fidelity. I guess I'll have to go cold turkey on the OFF sauce and give Storm Corrosion another spin. I recall hearing somewhere that people identify with music up until they are age 39, then there is no more space left in the brain for new music. Doh!

Is anyone still listening to this title? For me it was twice and done. There seems to be too much competition lately of OFF (Old Fart Friendly) titles to listen to, both from Steven Wilson himself and Audio Fidelity. I guess I'll have to go cold turkey on the OFF sauce and give Storm Corrosion another spin. I recall hearing somewhere that people identify with music up until they are age 39, then there is no more space left in the brain for new music. Doh!

I do not think this album contains very good music, however I think the sound quality is utterly sublime.

I still play it and enjoy it. And at 53 would say that "no more space left in the brain for new music" is pure BS ;)

Back