DVD-A only disc using over 90% of disc space - How the hell did I do it?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neb-Maat-Re

400 Club - QQ All-Star
One of the very first DVD-A discs I created using Chrome was over 74 minutes of music at 24/96.

I am currently trying to create a disc with less than 72 minutes of music at 24/88.2. Chrome shows it as just over 90% of the disc. I keep getting Error 56, not enough disc space.

I still have the MLPs for the first disc and tried re-creating it. Chrome shows it at 96% of the disc space. This time I got the disc space error.

But it worked once before - I still have it and it plays beautifully. How the hell did I do that the first time?

Thanks for the suggestion, Neil.

Is that when it creates a Dolby version? I never use it.

After playing around, I'm convinced I took the DVD-Audio files generated by Chrome before it fell over at the ISO stage, and built the ISO separately, probably with ImgBurn (remembering that it is vital to have the files in the correct order), but I have been unable to reproduce the result.

Think you've nailed it. It's 4 years that i haven't fired up Chrome but i do remember exactly this problem... and the workaround you're suggesting.

It's been so long since I used Chrome you could well be right.
It was such a terribly buggy application at the best of times, not to mention almost unusably clunky.
What build are you running, as a matter of interest?

I use build 6. I did try later builds, but found the discs I created with those didn't behave like CDs - that is, they didn't fast forward or reverse properly, just skipped around in big chunks.

Was that important? Do I fast forward or rewind my DVD-As that much? Probably not, but I just felt that if that wasn't working, then there was something wrong.

Out of interest, as a professional, what do you use to create a DVD-A using MLPs?

Thanks, winopener. Now if I could only remember how to make sure the files are burned in the correct order.

I thought just manually arranging them in Windows Explorer would do the job, but there must be some other trick to it.

Neb-Maat-Re
Now if I could only remember how to make sure the files are burned in the correct order.
ImgBurn do not familiar with DVDA file structure. you may try DVDFab if your project is raw DVDA without
cross navigation to VIDEO_TS directory but GEAR PRO Mastering Edition so far still sole best appz for such purpose.

Sonic DVD-Audio Creator also remains single tool for professionally authored DVDA but this appz isn't user friendly.

Neal do you know which DVD authoring program was used on DVDAs of Rush to make video parts?
i'm particularly interested in ability to retain active menu navigation on screen, during songs playback.
it seems like in DVDLab Pro no such option.

ImgBurn do not familiar with DVDA file structure
ImgBurn from version 2.1.0.0 (2006) onward does try to correctly sort the files (physically) in the AUDIO_TS as well as the VIDEO_TS. Many times I had working results with it. At least give it a try, maybe on a DVD-RW first.
Just create those two directories on your hard disk, fill them with the appropriate files and drag the directories to the files and folders window in ImgBurn.

are you sure about abilities of ImgBurn to shuffle the files in AUDIO_TS directory to DVDA specification?
if i need to rebuild DVDA i use Gear Pro and have no complain. i do have ImgBurn 2.5 version but haven't
heard this before and Neb-Maat-Re did stated above, he tried to build DVDA image in ImgBurn with no luck.
there are some less picky players like OPPO, which reading the discs the way computers does it.
so, even incorrectly done disc would work in those. but other, like Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, etc. wouldn't.

At least give it a try, maybe on a DVD-RW first. Just create those two directories on your hard disk, fill them with the appropriate files and drag the directories to the files and folders window in ImgBurn.

That's certainly what I've been doing - especially the DVD-RW bit.

I'm convinced when I created the first disc back in Oct/Nov last year I manually sorted the files within the folder into the correct order first and that did the job first time, but perhaps that was just a fluke. Or did I find some way of forcing them to be in the correct order?

Thanks, 0tto - I think I will give Gear Pro a shot.

I've made a few attempts at the ImgBurn method without success. It's just frustrating when I got it to work once before!

Well, Gear Pro did the trick, so thanks for that.

However, it appeared I could only compile straight to disc and I couldn't create an ISO image, or was I missing something?

Now, if only there was another way to create the DVD-Audio files, and I could lose Chrome altogether.

after you placed everything you need in project, go to "project" in top menu and
scroll down to "convert volume to physical". that's will make image file of your disc
onto HDD. you'll find it in the previously designated directory with file extension .dv1
just rename this extension to .iso same way you doing with image created by DiscWelder

Back