Non-Riveted RCA Q8 Tapes - how do you get them open?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
I have a few RCA Q8's of the non-riveted variety...is there any easy way to get in to them without totally destroying them? I would like to rack them up on my Fostex but I don't really want to irretrievably destroy the tape case in the process. Any ideas?

They're glued together. I've had both good and bad luck with these. Best bet is to start at one of the front corners with a small screw-driver and work your way around and pop it open. I put clear cellophane tape over the end label to prevent tearing it. Then, you can use it to fold the cartridge open like a book. Good luck!

I usually have to score the seam with a utility knife before I pry them open. Before I started doing that, a few broke instead of separating where they should.

You can get some MEK and brush it on the seam first. It will separate after that. That's what we used to do at Telex.

Doug

I usually scored them with an Xacto knife - much like Quadwreck mentioned. Or even using the Xacto to carefully cut through after initially scoring to get things started. Patience is the name of the game. Starting at one of the front corners has also worked well for me. Using a spring loaded clothespin placed backwards - "handle" end - into the opening/front helps provide some "push" to encourage separation as you carefully pry the halves apart.

I HATE these cases, they are the hardest to open and 99 times out of 100 they tear and shred if you use standard methods. The "scoring" method works the best, I use a Dremel tool with a fine cutter to score. I run it at medium RPMs and score the sides and back, it's safer then a razor knife, one slip with that then bye bye finger. I'll see if I can post a picture.

dremel_cutter.jpg

With all the good suggestions I am struck with the fact that PATIENCE is the key many times. It's slow going, but keeping at the process - as gradual as it can be at times - really pays off in the end.

So Linda, is that the portable variety or the one with the big tanks on a two wheeler? :)

I understand even the small ones are kind of finicky as far as what they like to eat. Always seemed like too much bother so I've never had one.

I was lead to believe they have to have their food "just so". You know, the lettuce has to be fresh washed and not even close to wimpy, only the best chocolate, ketchup without high fructose corn syrup, etc. Some just "demand" organic and on and on.

Back