Listening to now...in fake Quad!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listened in DD ProII Music to "Pinnacles" then "Stuntman" from Edgar Froese Solo (1974-183) The Virgin Years (I've decided to listen to the albums in reverse chronological order, no idea why!). Anyway both "Pinnacles" & "Stuntman" come out really well in mock surround, instruments moving around from front to rear and back, 'discrete' synths in the rear channels, looking forward to listening to the rest of the discs. Only down side is the dumb decision to put 6 albums on 4 discs, Grrr.

Hi. All

I had a lazy day today and put on some Stereo CD`s

( Telarc Didital. Time Warp )- This I used my Sansui QRX- QS Surround Synth mode & it was Very Dynamic also Very Discreet in the backs
IMG_1013.jpg

( Gb? The Tribal Rock Opera )- This is a (DD Surround CD disc) played with Sansui QRX- QS Surround Synth mode & funny it played very discreet as well in the backs -VERY SURPRISED.-
IMG_1014.jpg

(Polydor. James Last Hammond a gogo )- Played with Sansui QRX- QS Surround Synth mode -This was very discreet as well in the backs I do like the Hammond Organ weather in Rock Jazz or Light music.
IMG_1012.jpg

Sorry for the extra photo cant get ride of it...

Attachments

• IMG_1013.jpg
    IMG_1013.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
I`ll tell you what.
I nearly jumped to the left & to the right evennn I forgot I had turned the volume up on my amp, as I said with this CD Time Warp it has great dynamics it had a slow build up and waaaaam my woofer & tweeters jumping at meee. .........:bounce..........

THE "TIME WARP"???

---it's just a jump to the left.......

Blind Faith -Great album. Nice separation. My favorite Cream and Blind Faith songs have always been the ones Ginger Baker wrote or co-wrote because he always had odd time changes. Needless to say, Do What You Like is my favorite on the Blind Faith album, being that it is in 5/4. Guitars and keyboards show up in the rear speakers a lot in all the songs. During the obligatory GB drum solo in DWYL, the drums appear spread out through the whole sound field. Almost like sitting on Ginger's drum stool.

Zappa - Orchestral Favorites. Not for those who prefer the song oriented material although 3 of the 5 selections are taken from previous songs that had lyrics. Strictly Genteel is a reworking from 200 Motels, Duke Of Prunes was from Absolutely Free, and Bogus Pomp is a reworking of This Town Is A Sealed Tuna Sandwich which was also from 200 Motels. The rear speakers contain nice bits of brass, reeds and percussion.

Paul McCartney - Venus and Mars - I never had the official surround version of this and was looking forward to how it would sound in surround. This came out disappointing. The overall sound of the disc seemed a bit grating to my ears (maybe over compressed?).

I listened to the Japanese SACD of Camel's "Rain Dances" with Dolby ProII Music, and overall it came out quite well (I'm seated much more to the rears than the fronts). I found myself smiling as at the beginning of the first track "First Light" the guitar starts in the Left Rear and works it way round the speakers through the fronts to Right Rear.

Hi Ji Eff. Just be forewarned that on the Just Another Band CD there is a song called Magdelena about a man that came from Montreal !!! :yikes lol

I didn't hear it, but I did read the lyrics... :slap: yeah.. a good slap behind your head Frank.. that's a sensitive subject you don't make fun of.. :throwingup: :confused:

Sorry Ed.. I do understand now why you say you have problems with some of his lyrics :D

I didn't hear it, but I did read the lyrics... :slap: yeah.. a good slap behind your head Frank.. that's a sensitive subject you don't make fun of.. :throwingup: :confused:

Sorry Ed.. I do understand now why you say you have problems with some of his lyrics :D

Totally agree. I'm not a prude by any means, and there are many songs Frank wrote that contain naughty bits which are fine with me, but it just seemed that they went to extremes during the Flo & Eddie period. I guess that since he was paying for 2 lead vocalists he felt he had to get the most out of them. Maybe he thought going in this direction would bring in fans that couldn't just appreciate the music. Can't tell you how many times I mentioned Zappa's name and people responded "oh yea he does dirty songs". I give them the Doobie Bros. advice... LISTEN TO THE MUSIC !!!

I'm a huge Zappa fan. I have a Husband from another generation, he'll be 45 in a few weeks. I'm 62. He thinks FZ is a total fraud and a no-talent. He loves a variety of different humor. Generation gap, indeed.

I'm a huge Zappa fan. I have a Husband from another generation, he'll be 45 in a few weeks. I'm 62. He thinks FZ is a total fraud and a no-talent. He loves a variety of different humor. Generation gap, indeed.

I'm not so sure it's the generation gap... A unique talent like Zappa has is timeless IMHO. I think it's probably more related to tastes. (I may be way off on this)

@JerseyEd : It is indeed incredibly good/original music. I've yet to "deeply immerse" myself in it, mainly because of budget limitations (you gotta eat first!), but it is on to do/buy list :)

I'm not so sure it's the generation gap... A unique talent like Zappa has is timeless IMHO. I think it's probably more related to tastes. (I may be way off on this)

@JerseyEd : It is indeed incredibly good/original music. I've yet to "deeply immerse" myself in it, mainly because of budget limitations (you gotta eat first!), but it is on to do/buy list :)

You gotta eat??? lol. Well, once you've satisfied your tummy I recommend the albums from the 66-70 period (Freak Out through Chunga's Revenge, with an emphasis on Absolutely Free, Uncle Meat and Weasels Ripped My Flesh) and then the 72-75 period (Waka-Jawaka through One Size Fits All, with the emphasis on Roxy & Elsewhere, Apostrophe and One Size Fits All).

Not a Zappa fan, hummm

That's grounds for divorce, QL.

Or at least banish him to the couch for awhile.:D

The Clash - Sandinista! PLII 4.0. Hi Res remaster.
Full range rears make a huge difference listening to fake quad. Don't care for fake center (or sub)...

Back