Listening to now...in fake Quad!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce How does it sound in surround? Can't wait to get it :banana:, the (promo?) cd leaked a couple of days ago
so I hope I'll get my 2cd/dvd pre-order soon too :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:.:banana:

Too bad DD again but his previous surround mixes sounded pretty good in DD.

I like the surround mix - very discrete and active at times. Wonderful album, over two hours with SciFi-rock-opera in discrete surround!

I especially like track one - from time to time those heavy guitars hammers the rears LOUD, maybe to much for some - but I love it!

There are a lot of great music on this album, I am very impressed of what Arjen have created here.

It is not a loud recording (great) and a Dynamic Range of 12 - also great! Sounds great on my system - considering only DD.

I like the surround mix - very discrete and active at times. Wonderful album, over two hours with SciFi-rock-opera in discrete surround!

I especially like track one - from time to time those heavy guitars hammers the rears LOUD, maybe to much for some - but I love it!

There are a lot of great music on this album, I am very impressed of what Arjen have created here.

It is not a loud recording (great) and a Dynamic Range of 12 - also great! Sounds great on my system - considering only DD.

I already went to my mailbox twice since I read this :bounce:bounce, thanks!

kapn, you could have put it more poetically, as in "Listening to Now, in Synthesized Surround."

All the Creedence Clearwater Revival bonus tracks from the anniversary CD's. Selected other tracks. I felt guilty on the other tracks, since I have all the AP SACD's. some JUICY alternate takes, which I need to play more often. 5-9/10, depending on the album
Pumpkin, Powder, Scarlet & Green - American Breed CD Xfer from LP 8/10 It doesn't have Bend Me, Shape Me, but it's their best album! Sold poorly. Sad!
Eurythmics expanded editions. Same story as Creedence, but no SACD versions. 5-9/10 Some juicy bonus stuff, most I had on CD singles and vinyl EP's.
Izitso - Cat Stevens Mofi Gold CD from Cat Stevens Three Mofi box set 10/10 This wasn't Quad and didn't sell well. Spectacular music and sonics!
Children of the Future - Steve Miller Band CD Their 1st, one of their best w/Boz Scaggs. 9/10 The suite on side 1 drags at the end. Everything else is stellar!
Western Union - Five Americans CD compilation Sundazed SC11004. Lots of crap to wade through. 4/10 Several great tunes I had on 45's in estereo.

Yeah, the "fake quad" remark was unnecessary, condescending, and really put me off, as someone who was into it and spending money on it back in the very early 70s and enjoying the hell out of it. No doubt the critics were years away from their first Pampers and butt wipes.

I'm working from home, so for the last couple of days I've been playing my Can 2.0 SACDs (I have all 13 except the double Can "Live" - was it ever released as a SACD?) and listening to them with DD ProII Music.

So far in the last few days Monster Movie, Tago Mago, & Soundtracks, they work quite well, surrounded by wide stereo with the odd 'discrete' instrument. Today it was Ege Bamyasi, works quite well, drums and guitar often appear in the rear channels, the burbling water at the start of "Sing Swan Song" came out in surround really well - made me smile :)

Its a real shame they never recorded with multi-tracks until 1975.

Yeah, the "fake quad" remark was unnecessary, condescending, and really put me off, as someone who was into it and spending money on it back in the very early 70s and enjoying the hell out of it. No doubt the critics were years away from their first Pampers and butt wipes.

I have to ask, how far back in time did you have to go to find an insult in this?

I know this, In Sounds From The Way Out, has an official release. The lukewarm reviews turned me off despite the obvious potential of perfection, genre wise. SpecWeb doesn't disappoint! Give it a SHOT!

Have given this 24/96 download a few spins with DD Pro II. Pretty good, would love a discrete version though....

Attachments

• R-396534-1175936726.jpeg.jpg
    R-396534-1175936726.jpeg.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 177
Rush

Spirit of the airwaves

Live February 13 1980
Radio Broadcast.

Double LP

Weird that there are no "tecnical credits" ANYWHERE....Recording , mixing, mastering engineers, etc. (and the blurb is just RISIBLE!!!)

Yes, it still has that part chopped off during the guitar solo during "Working Man" that the b**t had....

Even with that big wart, I'd have been proud to have my name in there..it's the BEST sounding live recording from Rush in the 70's -yes, 1980 was the LAST year of the 70s(and probably 80's , 90's, and so on..that BASS PEDAL during Xanadu and Natural Science makes my car VIBRATE ALL OVER...I LOOOVE IT!!!...I have never had an "Official" Rush release with that much earth shaking bass)...and the bass tone was such a killer!!!!!
It also has some "ground" noise here and there (especially during the drum solo), but I can take that out with some good 'ole plug-ins....

The vinyl was very quiet and there wasn't even ONE POP during the whole thing..

And , thru Neo:6 Music, it was almost double stereo with the drums panned all around, so, it is very close to a "normal RC" Rush MCH mix

Highly recommendable..I'd say a 9.5....

Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit "The Nashville Sound".

I was listening to track 3 (Tupelo) in stereo tonight, hit the DPL-II button and Wow! Nice sound field and ambience. I'd swear for several tracks it sounds like a discrete mix.

DNA is right.... As a sophomore in college I bought my first Boston LP at State Discount in East Lansing, MI. It had just come out. A hand-written note over the sales bin offered this optimism: "Better 'n Aerosmith".

I'd love to hear a MFSL version!

Recently I bought the DSL DL from Acoustic Sounds. Ostensibly from the OOP Sony SACD. It sounds better than any other copy I've heard. Hard to believe Tom Scholz recorded this, with Brad Delp, in his 1975 apartment basement!

Boston S/T

Yeah , I know, this is embedded in our DNA by now...but this is the MFSL one....WOW!!!!!

DNA is right.... As a sophomore in college I bought my first Boston LP at State Discount in East Lansing, MI. It had just come out. A hand-written note over the sales bin offered this optimism: "Better 'n Aerosmith".

I'd love to hear a MFSL version!

Recently I bought the DSL DL from Acoustic Sounds. Ostensibly from the OOP Sony SACD. It sounds better than any other copy I've heard. Hard to believe Tom Scholz recorded this, with Brad Delp, in his 1975 apartment basement!

Well , he WAS (still is...too!) an MIT Graduate who worked in Polaroid and he recorded the main LP , except for the last song (and you can hear the difference), on a 12 track (correct me if I'm wrong) , which had a LOT of space in the tape for the signal...he also had done those songs several times before and was working comfortably IN HIS BASEMENT , not in a studio, where time is money... It really is a pity that he didn't do anything else with that setup cause the rest of the LPs don't sound nearly as good (Third Stage being the biggest offender, with the early Rockmans and fake drums...).
And of course there was the VOICE, Mr, Brad Delp (RIP), who's do overdubd without even practicing them and they'd be perfect...what a voice!

As it is, it decodes fairly well on DPL II..

And I used to have the SACD...I thought it was BAD (cutoff at 22K-a MAJOR sin with this kind of sound), I even SOLD it!!!

Nice background write up! At my age (61), 22 kHz is of no consequence. Wish it were! If I had a dog listening with me, maybe... ;-)

I lived in the Boston area for a bit, and know a lady who was CTO of Polaroid back in the day. Quite a company...ahead of its time. I didn't know TS worked there.

Thanks for the info,
Steve

Well , he WAS (still is...too!) an MIT Graduate who worked in Polaroid and he recorded the main LP , except for the last song (and you can hear the difference), on a 12 track (correct me if I'm wrong) , which had a LOT of space in the tape for the signal...he also had done those songs several times before and was working comfortably IN HIS BASEMENT , not in a studio, where time is money... It really is a pity that he didn't do anything else with that setup cause the rest of the LPs don't sound nearly as good (Third Stage being the biggest offender, with the early Rockmans and fake drums...).
And of course there was the VOICE, Mr, Brad Delp (RIP), who's do overdubd without even practicing them and they'd be perfect...what a voice!

As it is, it decodes fairly well on DPL II..

And I used to have the SACD...I thought it was BAD (cutoff at 22K-a MAJOR sin with this kind of sound), I even SOLD it!!!

https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Big-Fun/release/2952283

Miles Davis - Big Fun
Double CD (2000, remaster, bonus tracks)

I recently found some adjustments on my Yamaha RX-V375, specific to PL II Music mode, to widen and deepen the sound field beyond factory default.
I'm getting some startlingly satisfying results.

Disc 2, track 1, Go Ahead John
About six minutes in, when young red-hot 1969 John McLaughlin solos, the panning drums and electric guitar seem to buzz around the whole room.
(Jack DeJohnette on drums.
Saw him in June, age 75, with the two Johns, Scofield and Medeski, plenty of fire!)

Just added this to my collection.
Lots of great unreleased material from the In A Silent Way / Bitches Brew era.

Recollections has dueling electric pianos spread across the stage, composer Joe Zawinul left, Chick Corea right.
On other tracks, sprinklings of bass clarinet, tamboura, sitar, world percussion...

:51banana:

Back