Listening to now...in fake Quad!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is so very much super sounding T.D. out there, and if ever a group's catalogue needs surround issues it's gotta be Tangerine Dream. Try "Encore" their live 76 tour disc, quite natural in surround. I used SQ matrix for that one.

I notice you like your stereo sacd's, Lute. I myself try and avoid buying some (a matter of protest, I suppose).
But there is one I own on Songlines-Songs Of Poor Boy ? Nick Drake Tribute, and I love the way this is done, it's only stereo but sounds nice. (BTW it was advertised in error as multichannel by sa-cd.net for years)

Also that Rickie Lee Jones SACD on New West is excellent music in surround. It's too bad they only put out 2 surround SACD'S on their label. :rolleyes:

Many thanks again for the tips, fizzy!!
Look forward to hunting down some good deals on them.:walker

Sorry about crossing the Stereo/Surround picket line. Actually, it's funny because I'm usually the one protesting. LOL!! :mad:@: I remember getting into a friendly argument about Steely Dan's Stereo SACDs with Clint a couple of years ago. (Sure hope he's doing well. :)) But, I cannot for the life of me understand why so many audiophiles keep buying reissue after reissue after reissue after reissue after reissue of the same 2-ch mix. I boycott nearly all of AP, AF and of course MoFi's 2-ch stereo SACDs. No MoFi SACDs of The Cars in my collection! :howl :howl :howl The same goes for these SHM-SACDs. The only excuse I can offer for my VDGG SHM-SACDs is that I didn't have any other decent copies of their music in my collection... the LPs are long gone. Also, being a big fan of Country Western, Heavy Metal, Punk, Ambient, and other exotic music (like these are really so unusual), I have no choice but to buy Stereo. So, please forgive me for indulging in these silly, overpriced reissues of Stereo. :kaboom

Van Der Graaf Generator - The Least We Can Do is Wave to Each Other (SHM-SACD)

Just gets better and better :eek:

Many thanks again for the tips, fizzy!!
Look forward to hunting down some good deals on them.:walker

Sorry about crossing the Stereo/Surround picket line. Actually, it's funny because I'm usually the one protesting. LOL!! :mad:@: I remember getting into a friendly argument about Steely Dan's Stereo SACDs with Clint a couple of years ago. (Sure hope he's doing well. :)) But, I cannot for the life of me understand why so many audiophiles keep buying reissue after reissue after reissue after reissue after reissue of the same 2-ch mix. I boycott nearly all of AP, AF and of course MoFi's 2-ch stereo SACDs. No MoFi SACDs of The Cars in my collection! :howl :howl :howl The same goes for these SHM-SACDs. The only excuse I can offer for my VDGG SHM-SACDs is that I didn't have any other decent copies of their music in my collection... the LPs are long gone. Also, being a big fan of Country Western, Heavy Metal, Punk, Ambient, and other exotic music (like these are really so unusual), I have no choice but to buy Stereo. So, please forgive me for indulging in these silly, overpriced reissues of Stereo. :kaboom

Actually, Brett, by avoiding some of those stereo SACDs, you're really doing yourself a disservice. The two MoFi Cars SACDs actually decode extremely well in 'fake surround' as does Carly Simon's First Album (again MoFi Stereo SACD). I've gotten over my initial rift with MoFi over their failure to do multichannel and as 'therapy' have been adding a roster of their stereo SACDs to my ridiculous over excessive music arsenal. LOVE the Jefferson Airplane's Volunteers and even just placed an order for the MONO version of JA's Surrealistic Pillow.

And Analogue Productions does offer some very tantalizing Stereo SACDs, as well. The recent Joan Baez 'Recently' is truly exquisite though I haven't mucked with it in pseudo surround. Some albums actually play better in DIRECT mode with no sonic seasoning. And if you don't have AP's Stereo SACD of Holly Cole's Temptation (the songs of Tom Wait) then fasten your seatbelt...... it's a sonic marvel (even the RBCD sounded brilliant). And if you're a Cowboy Junkie fan, AP's stereo SACD (albeit from a 16/44.1 R~DAT master) of The Trinity Session is awesome.

Additionally, Universal Hong Kong's recent Japan (group name) Stereo SACD remasters likewise decode well in fake surround........and if you're not familiar with their music, I would HIGHLY recommend Oil on Canvas. Chock full of musical surprises. http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=12015

Actually, Brett, by avoiding some of those stereo SACDs, you're really doing yourself a disservice. The two MoFi Cars SACDs actually decode extremely well in 'fake surround' as does Carly Simon's First Album (again MoFi Stereo SACD). I've gotten over my initial rift with MoFi over their failure to do multichannel and as 'therapy' have been adding a roster of their stereo SACDs to my ridiculous over excessive music arsenal. LOVE the Jefferson Airplane's Volunteers and even just placed an order for the MONO version of JA's Surrealistic Pillow.

And Analogue Productions does offer some very tantalizing Stereo SACDs, as well. The recent Joan Baez 'Recently' is truly exquisite though I haven't mucked with it in pseudo surround. Some albums actually play better in DIRECT mode with no sonic seasoning. And if you don't have AP's Stereo SACD of Holly Cole's Temptation (the songs of Tom Wait) then fasten your seatbelt...... it's a sonic marvel (even the RBCD sounded brilliant). And if you're a Cowboy Junkie fan, AP's stereo SACD (albeit from a 16/44.1 R~DAT master) of The Trinity Session is awesome.

Additionally, Universal Hong Kong's recent Japan (group name) Stereo SACD remasters likewise decode well in fake surround........and if you're not familiar with their music, I would HIGHLY recommend Oil on Canvas. Chock full of musical surprises. http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=12015

I hear you, Ralph. I know some QQers are upset at MoFi and others labels for Quad blocking. Don't worry about me, though. As you can see with the VDGG stereo SACDs and...as I mentioned above, I steer clear of "nearly" all of these 2-ch stereo SACDs... but not all. If one of them tickles my fancy, I'll go ahead and buy it. But, I'm much more selective now than I used to be. For me, another simple reissue of the same old 2-ch stereo mix of some rock or pop band just doesn't do it for me anymore...especially at $30 plus entry charge. I mean, Ralph...seriously... Surely these guys in the music industry can do better than that!

But, I understand some diehard Rock & Rollers need their hard rock fix. So, MoFi, AP and AF will have their steady 2-ch stereo market for the foreseeable future. Fortunately, my musical tastes are varied enough. And for my part, I'd much rather support other less well known artists/musicians who ARE releasing in Hirez surround...and whose future isn't so certain.

Now it's back to VDGG. :sun

Actually Holly Cole's -Temptation (Tribute to Tom Waits) is a nice sounding disc all on it's own.

Was hoping an SACD of Holly Cole's-Girl Talk would appear as well. BTW it's seasoned with UHJ Surround as is the SACD
of The Cowboy Junkies-Trinity Sessions.

All good picks in my opinion. My picket signs are down for any Quad or Ambisonic or Binaural SACD . :upthumb

I hear you, Ralph. I know some QQers are upset at MoFi and others labels for Quad blocking. Don't worry about me, though. As you can see with the VDGG stereo SACDs and...as I mentioned above, I steer clear of "nearly" all of these 2-ch stereo SACDs... but not all. If one of them tickles my fancy, I'll go ahead and buy it. But, I'm much more selective now than I used to be. For me, another simple reissue of the same old 2-ch stereo mix of some rock or pop band just doesn't do it for me anymore...especially at $30 plus entry charge. I mean, Ralph...seriously... Surely these guys in the music industry can do better than that!

But, I understand some diehard Rock & Rollers need their hard rock fix. So, MoFi, AP and AF will have their steady 2-ch stereo market for the foreseeable future. Fortunately, my musical tastes are varied enough. And for my part, I'd much rather support other less well known artists/musicians who ARE releasing in Hirez surround...and whose future isn't so certain.

Now it's back to VDGG. :sun

Brett, I'm with you on the 'excessive' pricing of SACD Stereo reissues. I have been paying on the average $21 for MOST Audio Fidelity QUAD and Stereo SACDs but MoFi (except for a few bargains at ImportCD) and Analogue Productions (always depend on Acoustic Sounds 20% off sales) are less frequently discounted. As you know, I'm currently on a BD~V 3D POWER binge acquisition and some of those marvelous discs are as low as $4.99 brand new. Since I've acquired the OLED TV, the uptick in quality is astounding....and the quality of MOST of those 3D BD~Vs is OUTSTANDING.

And bear in mind the limited edition status of almost ALL things hi res in physical discs gives me the 'willies' because if you don't bite when they're initially released you'll end up paying big bucks for them in the future.

It REALLY makes you appreciate the efforts of Dutton Vocalion as the quality of their QUAD SACDs is uniformly OUTSTANDING and their prices are veritable bargains in today's hi res market. I've been wading through their latest batch of Classical QUAD SACDs and whew: they're revelatory. Wish the American reissue companies would take note but unfortunately their hands are tied with the excessive costs associated with multiple licensing fees, etc. in the good ole USA!

Brett, I'm with you on the 'excessive' pricing of SACD Stereo reissues. I have been paying on the average $21 for MOST Audio Fidelity QUAD and Stereo SACDs but MoFi (except for a few bargains at ImportCD) and Analogue Productions (always depend on Acoustic Sounds 20% off sales) are less frequently discounted. As you know, I'm currently on a BD~V 3D POWER binge acquisition and some of those marvelous discs are as low as $4.99 brand new. Since I've acquired the OLED TV, the uptick in quality is astounding....and the quality of MOST of those 3D BD~Vs is OUTSTANDING.

And bear in mind the limited edition status of almost ALL things hi res in physical discs gives me the 'willies' because if you don't bite when they're initially released you'll end up paying big bucks for them in the future.

It REALLY makes you appreciate the efforts of Dutton Vocalion as the quality of their QUAD SACDs is uniformly OUTSTANDING and their prices are veritable bargains in today's hi res market. I've been wading through their latest batch of Classical QUAD SACDs and whew: they're revelatory. Wish the American reissue companies would take note but unfortunately their hands are tied with the excessive costs associated with multiple licensing fees, etc. in the good ole USA!

For decades... the music industry has been raking in BILLIONS UPON BILLIONS of dollars, pounds, yen, euros, etc.. I really don't have time for THEIR EXCUSES, Ralph. Anyway, I'll leave it at that before I say something really nasty... :yikes

I know there are also good people working hard to produce quality music...yes, like Dutton Vocalion. :)
They have my support...100%!! :wave

For decades... the music industry has been raking in BILLIONS UPON BILLIONS of dollars, pounds, yen, euros, etc.. I really don't have time for THEIR EXCUSES, Ralph. Anyway, I'll leave it at that before I say something really nasty... :yikes

I know there are also good people working hard to produce quality music...yes, like Dutton Vocalion. :)
They have my support...100%!! :wave

And there's NOTHING fake about Dutton Vocalion's QUAD reissues. Even the few QUADS Michael Dutton himself remixed from three track masters sound fantastic.

Yes, Brett, we could all say nasty (and then some) things about the GREEDY, GREEDY Record conglomerates but to what avail! That's why a lot of artists are releasing their music independently and garner most of their revenue from concert performances and merchandising.

This album sounds super great in DP II! Not to mention it has some great pop tunes. Wonderful...

35D10FBB-C864-4D04-98D0-724DCB8B0ADF.jpg

AC/DC - Back in Black (DualDisc)

Ooooh yeah... It's Friday! :friday:

B in B in 'enhanced stereo.' A great album and a fine remaster.

And yes, Brett, School's out and you're free as a bird

Am listening to MoFi's MONO SACD remaster of JA's Surrealistic Pillow. The best I can do on my main system is to employ my pre/pro's PARTY MONO mode whereas it comes out of all four speakers and sub. BTW, GREAT job on MoFi's part.

Am listening to MoFi's MONO SACD remaster of JA's Surrealistic Pillow. The best I can do on my main system is to employ my pre/pro's PARTY MONO mode whereas it comes out of all four speakers and sub. BTW, GREAT job on MoFi's part.

NOTHIN' LIKE MONO!!!!!....yup, I do that "4 ch stereo mode" too when listening to the Beatles in mono!!!!

I had MoFi's 2 JA SACDs in my hand a few weeks ago. I was going to purchase them, but decided to put them back on the shelf. I love their music and read rave reviews of over on Steve Hoffman site. AAAAAAAHHH....I might have to go back and buy them. If I do, which one should I start with?

I had MoFi's 2 JA SACDs in my hand a few weeks ago. I was going to purchase them, but decided to put them back on the shelf. I love their music and read rave reviews of over on Steve Hoffman site. AAAAAAAHHH....I might have to go back and buy them. If I do, which one should I start with?

VOLUNTEERS is in stereo and of course is classic and Surrealistic Pillow in MONO is beyond classic so I'd say, buy both. You'll probably end up buying them, anyway. Whether ANY of the reissue companies release the QUAD version of WORST of the Jefferson Airplane is anyone's guess. That one I do have on Quad open reel (but haven't played it in years .... and years).

Also Brett, if you happen to see the MoFi SACD remasters of the CARS and Heartbeat City....consider those also. They both decode very well in pseudo surround and are dynamic!

Buy one per week for the next month to lessen the burden.:yikes

BTW, Volunteers also had a QUAD remix as well as JA's BARK (the latter ONLY in Japan).

Last edited:
Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar is as good as anything I have tested with SPECWEB!

...Now listening to Frank Black, self titled.

a little Elis Regina

is

Subscribed to Spotify, as a way to discover new music, and while I was already enthrilled by the MPB Especial live performance available on youtube, a studio album sounds waaaay better.

Plays beautifully in DPLII Music. Good ol' 70s :smokin

a little Elis Regina

is

Subscribed to Spotify, as a way to discover new music, and while I was already enthrilled by the MPB Especial live performance available on youtube, a studio album sounds waaaay better.

Plays beautifully in DPLII Music. Good ol' 70s :smokin

Why listen to Elis & Tom in fake surround when in 2004 it was released as an MLP 5.1 DVD~A remastered from the original analogue tapes [with 2 bonus tracks]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elis_&_Tom

Back