Listening to now...in fake Quad!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Sounds of Outer Space" (Disney). Side One is highly recommended for a synthesized sound-field, it being a sort-of Star Wars effects soundtrack. I give it 11 outta 10 for rear action, especially if your decoder does stereo rears (listening now via Composer A of my Lafayette SQ-L).

Power's been out for 26 hours. Back just in time for more 100 degree (farenheit) temps today. It's what I get for living in s forest!

Since I was listening on a mono portable, I chose a mono box set to listen to:
Roots n Blues Retrospective box set
roots-n-blues-box-front.jpg

Richard Thompson's "Wall of Death"..... I even had to pluck away and find the chords and little runs on the old guitar....pretty simple bridge but every chord site on the Web seems to have them wrong!
Counting Crow's and Wilco...hey, I saw in them in Philly this past weekend! Along with a host of others including J.D. Souther, the guy's still got the same voice. John

Child Is Father to the Man - Blood, Sweat & Tears - CBS Mastersound Gold CD (expanded) The bonus tracks are mono demos. 10/10 for the demos, 0/10 for the synthesized surround on the bonus tracks.

Gord's Gold - Gordon Lightfoot CD 7/10

R. Crumb & his Cheap Suit Serenaders Japan CD 4/10

1094-1.jpg

back1.jpg

Dumb question, but how do you guys listen in fake quad???

Are you running stereo sources through a QS or SQ decoder?

It depends on which system I use. On my main system, I can synthesize using PLII music modes, or decode as SQ or QS (RM) through my SQD-2020. On my second system, I have PLII and SQ. On my Marantz, I can do SQ or vari-matrix (not VARIO-matrix).

Different source material sounds better on certain decoders. I generally prefer PLII or QS. I'm not crazy about the results synthesizing in the SQ mode with my 3 SQ decoders, which are all full logic. On the Marantz, I prefer full clockwise on the Vari-Matrix knob.

Listening to now: Bend, Me, Shape Me (best of) - The American Breed CD Guys from my old neighborhood.

Pro Logic II Music with "Panorama" On often gets good results.

I've found since going 7.1, PLIIx Music is even better as it seems to pronounce the effect even more in the surround channels.

I just turn down the back surround channels (speakers 6 & 7, which can sometimes be a bit of an echoey mish-mash in PLIIx) and enjoy great pseudo/fake surround in 5.1

Bridge Of Sighs - Robin Trower - QSD-1 in Surround mode. I tried it on the Tate in Surround and SQ modes and QSD-1 in QS mode, but the QSD-1 in Surround mode is the best.

Attachments

• CCF07252012_00000.jpg
    CCF07252012_00000.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 283
The LP
Demis Roussos Attitudes
Has a track
House of the Rising Sun
Which I think
is the best recording I have heard of it
Also it has a surround effect using the new decoder and
the QSD1 at the end of the first music break
the sound increases in the rear then moves to the front
I have not heard that in any other recording

Rush- Signals (1982 Mercury LP bought in "Sound of Market St.", Philly)....30 year anniversary today of its release...

Haven't bothered with the DVD-A cause of
1-they say it stinks
2-don't got no moolah....

"....suburbia, suburbia, suburbia...Subdivisions" (Gary's intro to the song when I saw them at the Spectrum in November 1982)

Easy Does It - Al Kooper Japan CD 7/10
Al+Kooper+Easy+Does+It.jpg

Mother's Spiritual - Laura Nyro German CD 7/10
Mothers-Spiritual-Laura-Nyro.jpg

Strictly Commercial - Frank Zappa Japan CD (added tracks) 7/10
51QBQVF7EAL.jpg

Complete Uni Studio Albums - Neil Diamond 3 CD 6/10
510v82U0LPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Try For the Sun - Donovan 4 CD varies 0-8/10
Donovan_boxed_set.jpg

The dumbest question is the one that is not asked....

I only have my receiver to precess the stuff and my main setting is DPL II "Movie" , instead of the "Music" one...the former gives you more "Panorama" (excellent The Cars LP too BTW which I needle dropped the other day...)

Some more of the Canadian "boys"...
Rush ""Power Windows" US LP bought back in the day...even though it was a DDD recording/Mix, it sounds excellent on vinyl (my system has some WICKED extra harmonic coloration, love it)
to me, better than GUP, but I think their "Synth" period best is "Hold your Fire"...after that they ran out of steam...

...you can make it with the Down Boys....

A more direct answer :D is yes, stereo sources through quad decoders. Not necessarily just SQ or QS. It can be any surround decoder, incluiding the various synthesizer modes in some decoders or receivers.

Due to phase variations in regular two channel recordings, the results through quad decoders can sometimes be quite striking (the Eurythmics "Love You Like A Ball and Chain" being one example, many Jimi Hendrix recordings, more examples).

Doug

A more direct answer :D is yes, stereo sources through quad decoders. Not necessarily just SQ or QS. It can be any surround decoder, incluiding the various synthesizer modes in some decoders or receivers.

Due to phase variations in regular two channel recordings, the results through quad decoders can sometimes be quite striking (the Eurythmics "Love You Like A Ball and Chain" being one example, many Jimi Hendrix recordings, more examples).

Doug

Duuuuude!!!!!
I was just needledropping this LP yesterday and was TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY by the extremely discrete voices in LR and then RR (the male chorus) in this song...they certainly did some phase tinkering there!!!!
I mean , it's REALLY CLEAR (especially the separation) , I'm sure they did it on purpose!
Cheers

Duuuuude!!!!!
I was just needledropping this LP yesterday and was TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY by the extremely discrete voices in LR and then RR (the male chorus) in this song...they certainly did some phase tinkering there!!!!
I mean , it's REALLY CLEAR (especially the separation) , I'm sure they did it on purpose!
Cheers
I have heard Hendrix stuff on a matrix surround old ass system, you would swear it was as Kap describes.
never herad it like that again. It was a cheap sony receiver had a surround button thats all. No Dolby, etc. long time ago.It was a cd we had on.

Dance Sixties CD 5/10
1557328.jpg

Classic Albums: Overnite Sensation/Apostrophe FZ DVD-V 3/10 live footage of I'm the slime from '76 SNL & Montana. Me & the pygmy pony over by the dental floss bush!
Zappa-classic-albums.jpg

Classic Artists: Moody Blues DVD-V 3/10
classic_artists_moody_blues.jpg

Back