Listening to now...in fake Quad!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, nice....so...how does The Moon sound in fake quad??? That album brings back a lot of memories....well...OK. If I could remember them all...that is.

I always loved the sound on this one, I listen to this in the all channel stereo setting because that sounds best for most of my stereo albums (on my Onkyo) so I don't even know if I'm listening in fake quad :couch .
I have one of the first pressings of this one and you can play this one really loud...and I like that :).

Much as I swore blind I wouldn't buy any of the Led Zeppelin boxsets as they were only 2.0 I weakened (now have everything up to and including Physical Graffiti, madness abounds)!

Anyway I just got Led Zep I and started playing the CD, which just felt 'flat' so I hit DD Pro-Logic II Music and it worked really well opened up the sound field and quite often things like the organ or some guitar seemed to be very much coming from the rear speakers. Why or why didn't Mr. Page mix the albums into 5.1 or 4.0, we'll never know I suppose.

Much as I swore blind I wouldn't buy any of the Led Zeppelin boxsets as they were only 2.0 I weakened (now have everything up to and including Physical Graffiti, madness abounds)!

Anyway I just got Led Zep I and started playing the CD, which just felt 'flat' so I hit DD Pro-Logic II Music and it worked really well opened up the sound field and quite often things like the organ or some guitar seemed to be very much coming from the rear speakers. Why or why didn't Mr. Page mix the albums into 5.1 or 4.0, we'll never know I suppose.

Well, I can proudly say that I haven't given in to such madness with Zeppo. I save my madness for others. :mad:@: LOL! Anyway, I can still sympathize with you. Glad to hear you getting some decent sounds on Physical with DPLII. I've always thought songs like "In The Light" would be great in 5.1 or 4.0. But... It seems that DPLII, etc... are the only way we can listen to our favorite Hard Rock & Metal in surround. I've gotten good results with it as well.

So here's a question, any reason to believe a stand alone CD player (thinking Rotel at this point) would help? I'm playing everything on the OPPO-93 and sometimes wonder if I could get better results for redbook stereo CDs. Update: I do have several CDs that sound fantastic on the OPPO-93, mastering?

Last edited:
So here's a question, any reason to believe a stand alone CD player (thinking Rotel at this point) would help? I'm playing everything on the OPPO-93 and sometimes wonder if I could get better results for redbook stereo CDs.

Depends on your belief system. :) (My vote: no)

Update: I do have several CDs that sound fantastic on the OPPO-93, mastering?

Mastering.

-- Jim

image.jpg

Graveyard - Lights Out (RBCD)

So here's a question, any reason to believe a stand alone CD player (thinking Rotel at this point) would help? I'm playing everything on the OPPO-93 and sometimes wonder if I could get better results for redbook stereo CDs. Update: I do have several CDs that sound fantastic on the OPPO-93, mastering?

I'd say no to a stand alone CD player, everything is HDMI into the amp. Its down to the original mix and new mastering in my view.

Led Zep I seemed central mono with a bit of stereo on quite a few tracks, it is a 1969 release. Led Zep II turned up as well but I've yet to listen to that. Plus I need to download all the FLACs produce some DVD-As/BD-As from them and give them a listen.

Yes Live at Mesa Arts Blu Ray. A stereo soundtrack!?! Pumping it through DTS-Music. Very sad to watch as this may be our last recording of Chris Squire to view.

America America SACD (PLII Music): Screen shot 2015-09-19 at 7.59.01 PM.png Have to admit that I've had questions about Mr. Hoffman's technique but this is clearly a winner.

Johnny Mathis - Thom Bell Sessions

Wow....OK, I lied...I'm listening in 2 channel stereo...but the soundstage is so wide on this CD that you'd swear it was PLII...but it's not.
I recommend this to any JOhnny fan...this is as good as it gets and the sound quality is over the top excellent for a CD.

61isqhprWRL._SY355_.jpg

Johnny Mathis - Thom Bell Sessions

Wow....OK, I lied...I'm listening in 2 channel stereo...but the soundstage is so wide on this CD that you'd swear it was PLII...but it's not.
I recommend this to any JOhnny fan...this is as good as it gets and the sound quality is over the top excellent for a CD.

attachment.php

I don't know this compilation but there's a possibility tracks culled from any of his numerous Quad albums may just have the SQ encoding intact (1973's "I'm Coming Home" LP with 'I'm Stone In Love With You' and 'Stop Look Listen To Your Heart' on it.. or 'Betcha By Golly Wow' which he did earlier, forget which album.. for example?) love that man's voice..

Just for the heck of it, I decided to listen to Meco's Star Wars disco medley. I fogot to turn off the ProLogic functionality on my receiver. What came out was actually fairly interesting. The resulting playback was pretty front-heavy, but the was some reverb and occasional instrumentals in back and some of the sound effects actually panned front-to-back (and others back-to-front). As far as I know, this was never mixed with any quad system in mind, so I'm surprised it worked as well as it did.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

003.JPG
I don't know this compilation but there's a possibility tracks culled from any of his numerous Quad albums may just have the SQ encoding intact (1973's "I'm Coming Home" LP with 'I'm Stone In Love With You' and 'Stop Look Listen To Your Heart' on it.. or 'Betcha By Golly Wow' which he did earlier, forget which album.. for example?) love that man's voice..

The nice thing about most of his recordings is that it's mostly his vocals with slight orchestration...not much to compete with the vocals...and I agree about his voice...masterful command of the music...there is a double CD I have that has a killer song list of 40 songs...When a Child is Born...of course Chances Are...so many great songs...and it was mastered by Darcy Proper..

001.JPG
002.JPG

22178998794_5d38231e33_z.jpg

I'm not sure how into modern electronic pop this forum is, but Madonna's 1998 masterpiece Ray of Light sounds fantastic decoded through my Sansui's Vario-Matrix synth quad circuit. You'd swear it was made for surround with effects discretely placed around the four speakers.

Hi.All
I had a lazey Saturday, so I went through my Stereo LP`s and found more of my moog synthesiser music and sat down and had a fun time listening to music sliding around me front to back realy great through my SM.
Bill...
( The T Tone Synthesizer. )-
( Mister K. PoP Arp. )-
( Electric hit Computer. )-
( Switched on Country. )-

s1.jpg
s2.jpg
S3.jpg
S4.jpg

Last edited:
99 Miles From LA is one of my favorites of his from his 70's music....

Regrettably, the run of Mathis Quads ended with his previous album ("When Will I See You Again")... 99 Miles From L.A.
and What I Did For Love are on the stereo only "Feelings" LP.

Odd that Mathis' Quads should end in '75 when Andy Williams' Quads continued until '76.. and yet Mathis' star was continually in the ascendant while Andy's was on the wane by the time Quad was on its way out..

It's not all bad news though as there IS a Quad mix of "99 Miles".. on Art Garfunkel's "Breakaway" album.. :eek:

Back