Listening to now...in fake Quad!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian Eno - Here Come The Warm Jets
Neo Music surround, no center channel, no sub, +6 dB hot from nominal.

Drums, bass, layered guitars spread front.
Discrete-ish rear content: Fuzzy riffs, bells, voices in signature wet ambience.

The title Warm Jets came from the guitar sound on the track of that name, which I described on the track sheet as 'warm jet guitar', because it sounded like a tuned jet.

Jefferson Airplane - "2400 Fulton Street - An Anthology" using Specweb. :smokin

I see your Airplane and up you this Specweb!

The Claypool Lennon Delirium - Monolith Of Phobos (2016) (upmix)

I see your Airplane and up you this Specweb!

The Claypool Lennon Delirium - Monolith Of Phobos (2016) (upmix)

I open with a pair of Aces... Men At Work - "Business As Usual" and "Cargo" (Specwebed As Usual, see what I did there? :D). Two really great albums. Don't know if they ever had MCH versions, but if they didn't, they should. Drummer Jerry Speiser needs to be heard in a proper surround mix. Dynamite drummer. Love Colin Hay's vocals and Greg Ham's (R.I.P.) wind and subdued keyboard work, and guitarist Ron Strykert and bassist John Rees provide tasty parts that don't overdo. Too bad that they self-destructed by their third album, but these two albums leave quite a legacy, and even more so in (God I hate this term) "Fake Quad". (y)

I open with a pair of Aces... Men At Work - "Business As Usual" and "Cargo" (Specwebed As Usual, see what I did there? :D). Two really great albums. Don't know if they ever had MCH versions, but if they didn't, they should. Drummer Jerry Speiser needs to be heard in a proper surround mix. Dynamite drummer. Love Colin Hay's vocals and Greg Ham's (R.I.P.) wind and subdued keyboard work, and guitarist Ron Strykert and bassist John Rees provide tasty parts that don't overdo. Too bad that they self-destructed by their third album, but these two albums leave quite a legacy, and even more so in (God I hate this term) "Fake Quad". (y)

Love Men At Work! They would be absolutely KILLER in true surround. :)

ELP-Emerson, Lake,&Palmer 》the best track "Tank". A real natural surround sound workout by Carl and Keith. (y)

Try QS Quad or any others in the member family of regular matrice. And Dolby Pro.

Try

Stereo Surround

Or

StereoSphere

giving my Prog Noir LP a spin....

Really nice effort!

A few vocals by Tony (who we tend to forget , is a very good singer-he's done all kind of back voxi for everyone who lets him, PG, KC, etc.)

There's one that made me laugh out loud that has a "spoken lyric" by Markus (very welcome since humor is lacking in most Prog Rock...playing serious music does not mean that you have to be deadly serious all the time)...
And of course , as expected top notch playing by everyone involved.

So disappointed they didn't release this one in MCH, though, it would have benefited cause it has some very interesting "layers" and textures...

Unfortunately the vinyl is not too good and a bit noisy-but my ClickRepair will come to the rescue!!!!

Sticks & Stones (Stereo SACD)

I'm really glad I rediscovered this sleeper sleeping on my shelf.

Lovely collection of contemporary Folk/Bluegrass songs.

The Boss!! :smokin

bruce_zps0dewq8l1.jpg

Edit: A mistake!!!

Nice track list there, Simon!

I'm continuing my exploration of dark matter...

Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff (SHM-SACD)

Nice track list there, Simon!

I'm continuing my exploration of dark matter...

Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff (SHM-SACD)

I purchased all of the Van Der Graaf Generator SHM~SACDs and they really do decode well in the SUPER mode on my pre/pro. As do the CAN Stereo SACDs and Tangerine Dream SHM~SACDs, as well. Some trippy music for sure!

But it kind of makes you wonder why NONE of these albums ever received a proper QUAD or 5.1 physical disc digital release. These groups scream for the MULTICHANNEL treatment. http://pre08.deviantart.net/1410/th...eam_of_superman_by_batterychicken-d3enixd.jpg

I purchased all of the Van Der Graaf Generator SHM~SACDs and they really do decode well in the SUPER mode on my pre/pro. As do the CAN Stereo SACDs and Tangerine Dream SHM~SACDs, as well. Some trippy music for sure!

But it kind of makes you wonder why NONE of these albums ever received a proper QUAD or 5.1 physical disc digital release. These groups scream for the MULTICHANNEL treatment. http://pre08.deviantart.net/1410/th...eam_of_superman_by_batterychicken-d3enixd.jpg

You can SCREAM that again, Ralph! Steven Wilson has done such a fantastic job with King Crimson. It really does make you wonder why he hasn't remixed any of VDGG's album into 5.1. :rolleyes:

Yes, I was about to start on those Tangerine Dream SHM-SACDs in surround, but I'm back with Mark on the country road. John Hiatt's Master of Disaster is sounding pretty darn good. :spot

You can SCREAM that again, Ralph! Steven Wilson has done such a fantastic job with King Crimson. It really does make you wonder why he hasn't remixed any of VDGG's album into 5.1. :rolleyes:

Probably because he hasn't been commissioned to remix any of their albums in surround sound.
(Not that he doesn't want to however, cause apparently he's a massive Peter Hammill fan.)

:)

Yes, I was about to start on those Tangerine Dream SHM-SACDs in surround, but I'm back with Mark on the country road. John Hiatt's Master of Disaster is sounding pretty darn good. :spot

There is so very much super sounding T.D. out there, and if ever a group's catalogue needs surround issues it's gotta be Tangerine Dream. Try "Encore" their live 76 tour disc, quite natural in surround. I used SQ matrix for that one.

I notice you like your stereo sacd's, Lute. I myself try and avoid buying some (a matter of protest, I suppose).
But there is one I own on Songlines-Songs Of Poor Boy ? Nick Drake Tribute, and I love the way this is done, it's only stereo but sounds nice. (BTW it was advertised in error as multichannel by sa-cd.net for years)

Also that Rickie Lee Jones SACD on New West is excellent music in surround. It's too bad they only put out 2 surround SACD'S on their label. :rolleyes:

Probably because he hasn't been commissioned to remix any of their albums in surround sound.
(Not that he doesn't want to however, cause apparently he's a massive Peter Hammill fan.)

:)

Glad to hear Steven is a fan of Peter Hammill. I remember reading that when it comes to mixing other bands' music, an important prerequisite is that he is familiar with their music and of course likes it. So, unless Hammill has some issues with surround, I guess there's always hope. :D

Back