Listening to now...in fake Quad!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also found my copy of CSH in the cut-out bin, literally at the same time the SQ of Piano Man came out. I found it at the Jewel/Osco food/drug store in Waukegan, IL. The store is called Jools in Chicago-ese.

Ah yes, the old days when you could find 45's and LP's in supermarkets, drug stores, and other odd places. "I remember when...."
God we're getting old :eek:

Ah yes, the old days when you could find 45's and LP's in supermarkets, drug stores, and other odd places. "I remember when...."
God we're getting old :eek:

Don't get me started......

Back in the early-mid 70's, my mom used to "go to town" to buy groceries at a local IGA. At the very end of the store, facing the frozen food section...was a little magazine style rack on the end with all the top 100 45's. Oh man - I could NOT wait to ride with her into town....I would spend an hour gazing at all those little gems....seems like they were .99c each. Oh, for those simpler days....

Records were rack-jobbed everywhere. There was a place in Woodstock, IL called Lang's News Depot. It was the only store in Woodstock that sold newspapers. Grocery stores and drug stores were forbidden by law to sell papers. All Lang's sold were newspapers, magazines, paperbacks and records. They also had a lunch counter.

Although the town had 5,000 people back then, besides Lang's, you could find records at the Music Store, National Foods, A&P, Eagle Foods and Woolworth's. Those were the days.

BTW: Woodstock, IL's town square is where the movie Groundhog Day was filmed, even though it was set in Punxsatawny, PA. Lang's News Depot was a block west of where the shot below was taken. Ramis, Murray, et al filming the movie in Woodstock:
Filming-Groundhog-Day-in-Woodstock-IL.jpg

Records were rack-jobbed everywhere. There was a place in Woodstock, IL called Lang's News Depot. It was the only store in Woodstock that sold newspapers. Grocery stores and drug stores were forbidden by law to sell papers. All Lang's sold were newspapers, magazines, paperbacks and records. They also had a lunch counter.

BTW: Woodstock, IL's town square is where the movie Groundhog Day was set, even though it was set in Punxsatawny, PA. Lang's News Depot was a block west of where the shot below was taken. Ramis, Murray, et al filming the movie in Woodstock:
View attachment 17716

wow, didn't know that. Been through Woodstock many times Linda.....

If you love this album, and I certainly do, check out the import deluxe 3 CD set: the entire album in stereo, mono, with rarities.

The mono mix is well worth owning just because it's frequently very different. I don't necessarily agree with the mono zealots that it's *better* (though the stereo "Interstellar Overdrive" is missing an overdub), but it's definitely got novelty value after only hearing the stereo version for decades.

After Bathing At Baxter's - Jefferson Airplane.

510Z64nGcML._AA160_.jpg

Their absolute best album. I still remember the day I got it. I was sitting at the dining room table and my mom came home with some records. I don't remember where she got them but one was "The Best of '66" on Columbia and some other more middle-of-the-road records and "After Bathing At Baxters". I first thought it was a little weird (I was only 15 at the time) but it almost immediately grew on me and I have loved it ever since.

It really is closest to what they sounded like live (well although it's almost impossible to get a home system as loud as they were live:D).

And yes, it sounds so good in synthesized quad.

Doug

Actually, Doug, there were two Columbia albums titled The Best of '66. Volume One was a rock sampler. Volume Two was easy listening. They were both offered as either stereo or mono. As always, I bought the stereo. When you bought any Columbia album, you could add this for $1. Since I was buying an album at Murphy's, I bought these two, and they were on sale at 59 cents. Columbia did the same thing in '67, using the title "Our Best to You."

il_570xN.613721976_3ku4.jpg

m3_hCV1VlU1kQ5Frb-_64_g.jpg

BTW: it was at the Murphy's in Cermak Plaza, Berwyn, where the "car kabob" from Wayne's World was in the parking lot, although that wasn't there yet in '66. Note Murphy's maroon facade with yellow lettering in the background:
cermak plaza spindle 5 - gc murphy.jpg

Their absolute best album. I still remember the day I got it. I was sitting at the dining room table and my mom came home with some records. I don't remember where she got them but one was "The Best of '66" on Columbia and some other more middle-of-the-road records and "After Bathing At Baxters". I first thought it was a little weird (I was only 15 at the time) but it almost immediately grew on me and I have loved it ever since.

It really is closest to what they sounded like live (well although it's almost impossible to get a home system as loud as they were live:D).

And yes, it sounds so good in synthesized quad.

Doug

Yes, I have both volumes too although I didn't get volume 2 until years later at a Goodwill or SA or something like that. Eydie Gorme's version of "What Did I Have That I Don't Have" is absolutely wonderful! What a voice she had!

Doug

image.jpg

Yeah, I know! Guilty Pleasures... :nuke :nuke :nuke

After listening to Linkin Park, I needed MORE!!!!! LOL! :teleport::burnout:burnout:burnout

image.jpg

Ravi Shankar might be more famous, but Imrat Khan's playing is just as fantastic. He is joined by his equally gifted son on this recording. I am amazed by how well this exotic music works in DPLII. I have had this recording for 25 years, but it's never sounded so evocative. I think I'll be getting a whole bunch more Classical Indian music.

http://www.imratkhan.com/index.html

Back