HiRez Poll Megadeth - PEACE SELLS, BUT WHO'S BUYING? [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Megadeth - PEACE SELLS, BUT WHO'S BUYING?

• Total voters
I think the phase swap on the center may have cancelled out some of the mid and brought out rest of the mix. I've been trying to do the same with eq in audacity and it is helping open up the rest of the frequencies. I'm going to keep trying to find a way to improve the balance of this mix. I really want to hear it sounding like it should. It's a shame that it sounds the way it does.

I've had this DVD-Audio for a long time now. Never play it. To me, it's simply a very poor mix...very lacking on the bass side. Nothing special...could have been so much better.

I'm flying high with an ocho. This one is getting a little "is what it is" sympathy from me. Also, it's a local record for me. The Big-4. I was there, man.
Compared to any tape, LP or CD of this album I've ever heard, this sounds pretty friggin great on my system.
'80's trash was thin-sounding. They wanted "edge" over anything else. So, I'm glad there was no attempt to mitigate that here. Plenty of edge.
But also plenty of thundering bassiness. This album finally has BALLS. It is a bit on the loud side though.
Selling their gear for drugs and such at the time, this is not a great recording, sonically.
IMO, the mixing engineer did a good job placing parts, for what is there. For almost the whole record you have vocal, gang vocal, drums, bass, layers of rhythm guitar and a lead guitar.
These are all placed tastefully. Leads and gang vocals are usually very discrete.
This is not a "surround wow" record by any stretch of the imagination, but it is a massive improvement over any other version of this thrash classic.
Hopefully we'll get Rust in Peace and Countdown someday. So far, so good would be cool too.

ED, you are a cool cat man, and we are on the same page.
I purchased Peace Sells today via HDTracks HOPEING that Mustaine's vocals would come more forward in the newly released stereo 24/192 but it's a no go. The DVD-A reigns supreme but the stereo download is veryy fucking cool fwiw.

What's the stereo mix on this release, the 2003/4 remix or the original? I much prefer the remix for this one, much more than the original CD or the recent remaster.
There's Peace Sells in Atmos on Tidal at the moment, just the title track. Could that be the same surround mix, upsampled?

I've got a sealed copy from a local store. Very unusual to find DVD-Audios here in Melbourne in 2022, particularly if they are sealed. The price was very decent, and I understand why. I wouldn't recommend this disc for a number of reasons:
- the stereo mix is the original mix, not the 2004 remix. It sounds similar to the CD2, despite being compressed to the level that I had to reduce the volume of about 7/8db to compare it with the CD. Same recessed vocals, thin guitars, raw sound and ear-piercing tonality. I don't like it. The 2016 remaster isn't better either, perhaps just slightly better in terms of tonality.
- the 5.1 mix doesn't have any discreet moment, and presents all the issues described above, first of all the recessed vocals. When I first heard it, I thought it was an upmix, but of course it isn't.

On Tidal, I have found the Atmos Mix of the title track, Peace Sells, which sounds rather good. Downmixing that to stereo and comparing it to the 2004 remix, it is clear that the 2004 remix was used as the starting point for this atmos mix. I quite like it, even though it is not a surround masterpiece.

A mix breakdown of Devils Island is included, which is quite nice. Apart from that, this wasn't a good purchase.

My personal recommendation is to get the stereo 2004 remix for this particular album or listen to the atmos mix of the title track on Tidal.

musical content "2",
fidelity "1",
mix "1".

still sounds like absolute f**king Hell to me.. 😈 and many missed opportunities to make more inventive and effective use of Surround 🤦‍♀️ but musically better than i remembered! ✌️

upped from a "3" to a "4" 💀😎

just imagine what i'd have bumped it upto if i was still on the sauce! 🤣😅😉
This is a sincere suggestion to all reading:

If you genuinely dislike the MLP 5.1 mix of this album, which is the best sonic version, hands down, please consider selling your copy on the used market.
There is sudden demand...
😉

You'll free up space, make some cash, and help keep prices sane for those who love this music and want to hear it at its best.

Sincerely. Thank you.

I have upped my vote to a 9.
Awesome detail, punch, and power.
Appropriate mix, for '80's thrash metal. Only thing holding this down from a 10 is the quality of the original recording. Nothing anyone can do about that...

Life in Surround Review

I disagree with you on this one, I think they could have done way better. I guess they still can, considering the atmos mix of the title track available on Tidal...
The music is a 10 for me, and I think that the spatial representation of it in the 5.1 mix is on spot, but I find the balance amateurishly uneven and the treble piercing. It is a keeper for me (it's Megadeth in Surround, FCS!) but definitely not a 9, maybe a 7.

For reference, can you describe the balance and treble of this stereo mix?

Yes! More than gladly: I find the treble also over the top in that version, but not as piercing as the DVD-A that I just listened to. I also miss some bass frequencies too. About the balance: in the version you posted I find the voice buried and the guitars too upfront.
Are you telling me that that is the original version? The version I have on CD is way different (and I like it more, maybe because it is the one that I am used to).
Maybe I should clarify what I meant by uneven balance: in some of the songs the voice sounds right but in others is completely buried. And guitar solos: in some of the songs they sound "perfect" to my ears and in others they are completely overpowering the rest of the instruments.

Yes! More than gladly: I find the treble also over the top in that version, but not as piercing as the DVD-A that I just listened to. I also miss some bass frequencies too. About the balance: in the version you posted I find the voice buried and the guitars too upfront.
Are you telling me that that is the original version? The version I have on CD is way different (and I like it more, maybe because it is the one that I am used to).
Maybe I should clarify what I meant by uneven balance: in some of the songs the voice sounds right but in others is completely buried. And guitar solos: in some of the songs they sound "perfect" to my ears and in others they are completely overpowering the rest of the instruments.
Can you please A/B the above version with your preferred version and report which one, overall, has the most appropriate (for lack of potentially better words) bass, treble, and vocal level?

Can you please A/B the above version with your preferred version and report which one, overall, has the most appropriate (for lack of potentially better words) bass, treble, and vocal level?
Ok, this is rather embarrassing: the version I have on CD is a 1990 reissue, but the one I have been listening to the most and what I have been taking as a reference is the 2004 remaster (which I thought I hated). So my pride is hurt but that is the version that sounds better to me :eek: .

So, having just A/B'ed both versions myself, I agree with you that the vocal level is better in the official 2004 remaster.
The other version is just a quick, amateurish mixdown of the 5.1.

That version has the bass (much more, especially deep bass) that my ears want to hear and my chest wants to feel. And I don't ever feel blasted with treble (in either version).

On my multichannel systems, the vocal is never washed out, so that might be an artifact of the crude mixdown.
And on the same systems, all official stereo mixes are severely lacking the punch and power that I want in any heavy music.

So, all well in good that we disagree. There's no accounting for taste, right? But... I think the 5.1 mix is unfairly criticized, as the stereo album really sounds like s*#t, to me. Always has. I can enjoy the 5.1, at least.

Btw... I'm pretty sure I cover sonic issues in my review, even with the 5.1, so it's not like I said it's a great sounding mix or can't be improved. Only that it sounds best, to me.

Back