Music DVD Poll The Band - The Last Waltz

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD "The Band - The Last Waltz"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 2 - poor mix, visuals & presentation

• 1 - waste of plastic

• Total voters

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
TheBand_LastWaltz.jpg

Please rate the DVD of "The Band - The Last Waltz", and where possible please also state what you paid for it

The music is a 10 +, the mix....sort of typical concert, a 7. The Director's version has a couple extras included songwise and a "making of" interview which is quite engaging.
Overall a 9 for me, one of the best concert movies ever made...maybe the best. It's been out so long I got it off the Bay for probably $10 plus postage or so. I imagine an "improved" version could be made with more extra features, but the DVD video quality is very good. John

10. "The best rock movie ever made." - Rolling Stone I concur. 30 years ago, I bought a CED machine because this, Grateful Dead Movie and Let it Be were only available on that format. I've owned the movie and it's sountrack on Blu-Ray, DVD, CED, 2 LP, CD, DVD-A and 4 CD box set. Besides the Band, it features Dylan, Muddy Waters, Eric Clapton, Neil Diamond, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Staple Singers, Van Morrison, Ronnie Hawkins, Dr. John, Paul Butterfield, Emmylou Harris, Ringo and Ron Wood. Sound and picture quality are more than adequate, and excellent for late '70's. Martin Scorsese's direction is superb and sympathetic. He and Robbie Robertson were roommates at the time. Surround mix isn't very agressive, typical for live. The DVD-A has a more agressive surround mix. Many groups go out with a whimper, these guys did it with a BANG!!

If you don't own this, WHY NOT??

Just listen to the Staple Singers, do background vocals, on "The Weight".
If you have a DVD Audio car stereo, it doesn't get any better. The 5.1 surround, is so lifelike, it sounds like the Staples, are in the back seat. Far superior, to even the HDTV, 5.1 version.

That track was actually NOT recorded before an audience, which is part of why it was mixed that way.

Just listen to the Staple Singers, do background vocals, on "The Weight".
If you have a DVD Audio car stereo, it doesn't get any better. The 5.1 surround, is so lifelike, it sounds like the Staples, are in the back seat. Far superior, to even the HDTV, 5.1 version.

I have the double CD, the DVD video and just recently got the DVD Audio. The DVD audio is outstanding. The studio songs at the end of the DVDA ... The Weight... etc with the Staple Singers is reason enough to get this DVD audio, but the rest of the concert is excellent too. Maybe not as discreet but still much more than just audience in the rear speakers. Turn it up loud to get the full effect.

A thread on the 'other' forum got me thinking about spinning this one again. What a great video of an historical moment of rock/folk era. A treasure to own.

Last edited:
I'm wondering what happened here...there is a thread for the DVD-A of the Last Waltz and this thread was started in 2012 when there was a blu ray version available...the blu ray version is better than the DVD...and it's CHEAP..almost criminal how cheap it is now HERE..anyone that doesn't own this one at this price just doesn't like Rock History...because that is what this is....dripping with history and good music...I don't like documentary films that much but Martin Scorsese did this in a way that it doesn't seem like one...I will wait and see if another poll exists for this one but in any event this deserves a 10...it's that good...

I've heard about this movie repeatedly and always felt like I should see it, but just never have. I love rock history, so maybe it's time to pull the trigger. I own Scorcese's docs about The Rolling Stones and George Harrison... Has he done any others that are recommended?

I've heard about this movie repeatedly and always felt like I should see it, but just never have. I love rock history, so maybe it's time to pull the trigger. I own Scorcese's docs about The Rolling Stones and George Harrison... Has he done any others that are recommended?

He also was involved in a film about THE BLUES which aired on PBS...never saw it...and the rumor mill suggests he has a Grateful Dead project in the future...but you should have THE LAST WALTZ...and when you watch it for the first time just skip the segments in between the music..they are usually every other chapter...and that way it's like a concert...not a documentary...then go back and watch the doc parts...

Last edited:
I was listening to the dvda just yesterday.
I love ROBBIE ROBERTSON'S surround mix.

Gave this a ten.One of my favourite live surround mixes.

I was listening to the way he does not over utilize the center channel.Great mix of vocals in left and right 4 channels, not a dominating center channel vocal, almost quad like.Same with his BIG PINK on "THE WEIGHT".
My favourite song on the Movie "DO IT" which is the first song, but the last song of the day into early morn concert.Boy does it ever rock!
Not on the dvda though.

I was listening to the dvda just yesterday.
I love ROBBIE ROBERTSON'S surround mix.......

The DVD-A has a much better surround mix than the DVD or the BluRay, IMHO. Especially on the studio tracks. Listen for the Staples, if they're clear in the back, it's the DVD-A. If they're elsewhere, it's the DVD/Blu-Ray.

Have always used this track, to show off DVD/A tunes
Amazing surround & vocals
definite 10!(y)

Back