MISC: JVC MM-4 4ch Display Meter

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
Has anyone used a JVC MM-4 Quad display meter? JVC_MM-4.JPG

We were a JVC dealer AND in the same Chicago suburb as JVC's Midwest Facility. We never used one or sold one.

It appears that there were two different versions of this. What I depicted is a piece of home gear. Your MM-4 is a piece of test equipment with added controls and a handle on top.

Our rep visited our store at least once a week. While our other locations used our warehouse for JVC special orders, we either picked up JVC at their facility, or they brought it to our store. Sony, Marantz and Pioneer also had distribution centers a few miles from our store.

:51banana:

Wow.

I can only hope to be lucky enough to find one of those. Those quad JVC reverb units have a trippy display too. I guess that kind of thing appeals to us quad DSOTM types :D

Thanks, Tim for the link. You'll notice not only a JVC 4-DD5 at the right, but a Panasonic "demogitator" as well. Panasonic owned a majority stake in JVC at the time. I believe they still do.

As to more black boxes, I'll pass. My main system already has eight "black boxes." Hell, my black boxes have black boxes.

For you anal folks like me, here's the list:

Sylvania DQ-3700 (JVC 4-DD5)
Sony SQD-2020 full logic SQ/RM
Sansui QRX-5500 (used as QS decoder and Quad synthesizer ONLY)
Panasonic SH-3433 Quad scope
dbx 224 n/r encode/decode
Ortofon MCA-76 moving coil pre-preamp
Zektor HDS-4.1 switch
Russound QT-1 switch

So you can do that too. I'm missing here, but the basic idea of quadraphonic.

It looks like this in action-
MM-4

Not sure how it works, I think it must be electromechanical given the vintage. And why "Memory Meter" - that always sounded like a very odd term to me.

Last edited:
Would be a good DIY scope project to emulate this using LEDs and isolated layers of transparent/fiberoptic material to form that same concentric configuration, maybe could really get fancy with programmable modes using raspberry pi, probably wouldn't be as easy it seems, cooler than just bars or dots though.

Back