RCVR: National Panasonic SS-7800

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
panasonicsa78006.jpg

You see what I mean with appearence's with today's and stuff from the 70's? It just looked cool. now all the controls are hidden in on screen graphics. That little lighted tuner indicator, the 4 vu meters, way cool!

I agree. There isn't a great deal I've found out about this piece. It was sold in Germany, and probably other places. I suspect that it wasn't all that expensive. If you compare its' cosmetics to my B&K separates, it might look cooler. Being three pieces, the B&K is 4-5 times as tall. One black box with eight buttons, two knobs and a window with a blue readout, and two black boxes with flat black front panels, each with an LED and a power button. My Denon and Onkyo receivers are smaller, and look a bit more impressive. Compare them to the Marantz Quad I own, and they all come up short cosmetically.

Any of those 4 units will run rings around most Quad gear. My 5th system, I inherited from my Dad. It's a Sony HTIB (home theater in a box). Most Quads will outperform it. I'll put the B&K gear at an original price of $6000 against ANY QUAD, ANYWHERE, as far as sound and build quality. The only modern systems I've heard that will outperform it are at least double the cost, or $12,000 for the equivalent circuitry to a receiver. Again, that gear may be more impressive by size, but not by styling.

Honestly, I enjoy looking at the cool old gear, as I did and do to operate it. There was wonder in my eyes when a great new piece would come in stock, or I sold a KILLER SYSTEM. I've never bought equipment based on how it looked. Value and performance have always been my criteria. Still, few people will walk into the room with my main system and not comment on a wall 18' feet wide, 6 feet high with 30 pieces of gear. The REAL impressive part is when it gets fired up and they hear it in surround and see the plasma.

You see what I mean with appearence's with today's and stuff from the 70's? It just looked cool. now all the controls are hidden in on screen graphics. That little lighted tuner indicator, the 4 vu meters, way cool!

Back