Anti-Shocker Log: QQ Members' All-Time Best Bargain Prices on SACDs & DVDAs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredblue

Surroundophile Extraordinaire
QQ Supporter
Well, I thought this would be fun.. Let's name some of our biggest bargains for SACD/DVDA and Dualdiscs since the prices started sky-rocketing!

Adding comments on the condition, where you found them, etc would be great if you can, it all adds to the fun!

So, here we go..

Some of my biggest steals so far include:

The Nightfly - Donald Fagen - DualDisc (£7 = $11 US) New and Sealed in a 2nd hand record store.

Violator - Depeche Mode - SACD combo (£12 = $19 US) Near mint in a thrift store.

Billion Dollar Babies - Alice Cooper - DVDA (£6 = $9 US) New and Sealed in a Used music store.

Cracked Rear View - Hootie & The Blowfish - DVDA (£5 = $8 US) New and sealed in a thrift store.

Once Upon A Time - Simple Minds - Stereo SACD (£5 = $8 US) Good condition in a used music store.

Road Rock Vol.1 - Neil Young - DVDA (£3 = $5 US) Fair condition, rear inlay rippled/water damaged but booklet & disc near mint, in a thrift store.

Over to you...

R.E.M - Document DVD-A (New/Sealed) - $15 NZ - $12 US from TradeMe (NZ version of eBay)

Here's a few:
Alice Cooper Billion Dollar Babies DVA $4 (thrift store)
Alice Cooper Welcome to my Nightmare SEALED DVDA $4 (thrift store)
ELP Brain Salad Surgery SEALED DVDA $4 (thrift store)
Jane's Addiction Strays SEALED DualDisc with 5.1 hi-rez $20 (some UK record store)

Rick

R.E.M - Document DVD-A (New/Sealed) - $15 NZ - $12 US from TradeMe (NZ version of eBay)

Great steal, LizardKing! :)

I got the CD/DVDA combos of R.E.M.s "Up", "Reveal", "Around The Sun", "Monster" & "Green" new and sealed for £3 each ($5 US apiece..!) at a UK shop called "FOPP".

"FOPP's" business was selling off old/unsold HMV UK surplus stock.

This was before HMV got into difficulties and they were forced to buy all their stock in advance, with no insurance in place, thereby narrowing their inventory, preventing them from taking on "riskier" product that was less sure to sell in quantity.

Unfortunately "FOPP" did not have "Document" for sale among the other R.E.M.'s, or I'd have snapped that one up, too!

Here's a few:
Alice Cooper Billion Dollar Babies DVA $4 (thrift store)
Alice Cooper Welcome to my Nightmare SEALED DVDA $4 (thrift store)
ELP Brain Salad Surgery SEALED DVDA $4 (thrift store)
Jane's Addiction Strays SEALED DualDisc with 5.1 hi-rez $20 (some UK record store)

Rick

Oh..WOW, Rick..!!!

Those DVDA purchases are exceptional..!!! Great job!! :D

Late last year I picked up 3 x sealed DVD-As: Disturbed: Believe, Grateful Dead: American Beauty & Donald Fagen: Kamakiriad - US$20 for the lot from a small record store at the cruise ship terminal in Singapore.

Tangerine Dream - Rubycon SACD £18 from Amazon marketplace.

Somehow the seller failed to notice that the next lowest price was £79.99!

hard to recall all good deals for past 10 years but usually i'm not in hurry to jump on release and always
looking around for alternative offers. before it was easier, stuff wasn't flied out off shelves too fast.
then after such stuff don't appear on shelves too often. some releases were missed, some purchased in
last minute, before they went to OOP. almost missed third box of Genesis but was lucky to find it.
albeit from England but even with all extra charges it was about half of price, asked for lone "Lamb..."
set SACD+ADVD.
lately purchased 5 or 6 SACD+ADVD sets from second and first boxes, not because liked but due to seeing
how prices began to rise and happed to bump into deal like $20 or less per set. last set Genesis 1983 (Mama)
was last in merchant's stock and purchased for cool, only $15. sadly, albeit money was collected from credit
card back in april, still yet to see mine purchase.
also several month back bumped in the bunch of DVDAs and DDs in local Zellers store. still mystery how they
got there but anyway, albeit mainly there were Sikverline and such prints, grabbed about 25 or 30 titles under
3 bucks each.
and also, never had chance to see used DVDAs, SACDs in my location, albeit sometimes can find some quad LPs.
i guess HiRez sound and oil-patch-cowboy mentality didn't found harmony in relationship :)

Late last year I picked up 3 x sealed DVD-As: Disturbed: Believe, Grateful Dead: American Beauty & Donald Fagen: Kamakiriad - US$20 for the lot from a small record store at the cruise ship terminal in Singapore.

Great Result, boxhead! I paid more than $20 for the measely DualDisc of American Beauty on Amazon US and I paid about $50 for the DVDA of Kamakiriad on eBay! (y)

Tangerine Dream - Rubycon SACD £18 from Amazon marketplace.

Somehow the seller failed to notice that the next lowest price was £79.99!

haha.. good grief! thats v.cool!

sounds a bit like my purchase of the SACD of Nektars' "Remember the Future" last year on Amazon UK,
I thought £30 was too steep but seeing as the next best price anywhere at that time was about £70, guess I did alright and now it's a minimum £99 in the UK.

Amazon US has it for $99 right now, according to sa-cd.net but as the seller there doesn't give any details, it could very well turn out to be the CD..

anyway, things do still come up, see!? you're living proof, "LivingForever"..!! patience be thy watchword! :D

hard to recall all good deals for past 10 years but usually i'm not in hurry to jump on release and always
looking around for alternative offers. before it was easier, stuff wasn't flied out off shelves too fast.
then after such stuff don't appear on shelves too often. some releases were missed, some purchased in
last minute, before they went to OOP. almost missed third box of Genesis but was lucky to find it.
albeit from England but even with all extra charges it was about half of price, asked for lone "Lamb..."
set SACD+ADVD.
lately purchased 5 or 6 SACD+ADVD sets from second and first boxes, not because liked but due to seeing
how prices began to rise and happed to bump into deal like $20 or less per set. last set Genesis 1983 (Mama)
was last in merchant's stock and purchased for cool, only $15. sadly, albeit money was collected from credit
card back in april, still yet to see mine purchase.
also several month back bumped in the bunch of DVDAs and DDs in local Zellers store. still mystery how they
got there but anyway, albeit mainly there were Sikverline and such prints, grabbed about 25 or 30 titles under
3 bucks each.
and also, never had chance to see used DVDAs, SACDs in my location, albeit sometimes can find some quad LPs.
i guess HiRez sound and oil-patch-cowboy mentality didn't found harmony in relationship :)

very true Otto! we can't remember everything we purchased the last 10 years +.. but I've tried to keep price stickers and info for all the great bargains I found on these formats over the years, if possible.. and some of the prices were so amazing, I just could not forget..!! :D

Ship Ahoy - O'Jays (SACD) £16, new at Virgin Megastore, Oxford Street, London.

Not the cheapest anybody ever bought it for, I'm sure.. but a drop in the ocean considering the cheapest I can find it for online right now is $229 US (£145) on eBay..!!

I managed to pick up a copy of the Stylistics - Rock N Roll Baby - Japan CD-4 in excellent condition off e-bay for $8.00.

But as for SACDs... my Peter Gabriel's "Security" disc I got for $19.00 hidden in a rack at Best Buy a few months ago.

Last edited:
A couple finds last September at Remember When in Westmont's going out of business sale. I drove past there after a dinner down the street tonight :(:

Timegain - David Sanborn SACD 5.1 sealed $5
856432.jpg

In Your Honor - Foo Fighters Double Dual Disc DVD-A sealed $14
Foo-Fighters-In-Your-Honour-331276.jpg

My cheapest SACD pickup....
Horace Silver - Supreme Jazz (Compilation) Mint Condition
11 tracks / 66mins Hybrid Multichannnel SACD /Stereo SACD /CD Audio....for 50 cents AU.= (50c U.S.) / (32 pence UK)...:)

Back