Anti-Shocker Log: QQ Members' All-Time Best Bargain Prices on SACDs & DVDAs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O'Jays "Ship Ahoy" SACD $8 US looking brand new at a used record shop.

David Bowie "Ziggy Stardust" SACD $4.99 US new and sealed from Borders a few month before they closed

O'Jays "Ship Ahoy" SACD $8 US looking brand new at a used record shop.

David Bowie "Ziggy Stardust" SACD $4.99 US new and sealed from Borders a few month before they closed

Thats a great Ziggy find, Green!

It appears Borders in the USA was a different beast to Borders over here in the UK, in this country they were USELESS..!! No small wonder they went bust!

Borders' flagship British store on Londons' Oxford Street was massive and often virtually free of customers on the upper floors where their music & video departments were situated - and when you trekked all the way up there, the racks were mostly disappointingly full of very ordinary CDs & DVDs you could get just about anywhere. I don't think I ever saw an SACD or DVDA in there over the years. If they did have any, they were extremely well hidden!

The best UK high street chain for Hi-Res here back in the day was easily the Virgin Megastore (also on London's Oxford Street). I got a good few of my best SACD & DVDAs there all those years ago.

HMV had a separate DVDA section for a good few years (that got depressingly smaller and smaller as the format died!) though they never had an SACD section, those were always just lumped in with all the regular CDs.

Thats a great Ziggy find, Green!

It appears Borders in the USA was a different beast to Borders over here in the UK, in this country they were USELESS..!! No small wonder they went bust!

Borders' flagship British store on Londons' Oxford Street was massive and often virtually free of customers on the upper floors where their music & video departments were situated - and when you trekked all the way up there, the racks were mostly disappointingly full of very ordinary CDs & DVDs you could get just about anywhere. I don't think I ever saw an SACD or DVDA in there over the years. If they did have any, they were extremely well hidden!

The best UK high street chain for Hi-Res here back in the day was easily the Virgin Megastore (also on London's Oxford Street). I got a good few of my best SACD & DVDAs there all those years ago.

HMV had a separate DVDA section for a good few years (that got depressingly smaller and smaller as the format died!) though they never had an SACD section, those were always just lumped in with all the regular CDs.

The Borders (here in NZ) wasn't that great either. I did find some Depeche Mode SACDs though. I should have picked up a couple of back-up copies of Violator :(.

The Borders (here in NZ) wasn't that great either. I did find some Depeche Mode SACDs though. I should have picked up a couple of back-up copies of Violator :(.

If Borders here had stocked the DM SACDs back in the day, it would've been by default as a Deluxe set, primarily as CD inventory! As it is, I don't remember the UK Borders even having those sets with the SACDs!

thankfully, I grabbed a near mint Violator SACD just the other week for 12 measely quid, after passing on it so many times over the years while it was plentiful in places like HMV..! *punches air*.. woo! ;)

aren't those the Redbook CDs with DTS DVDs, rather than the SACDs + DVDs!?

if so, they are still easy to get in places like HMV for that price.
Hmm, I need to check then. I can't do that until Thursday.

It's not clear on the website but the UK collector's editions are SACDs the US versions are not. The ones I've ordered are SACDs though.

ah ok, sorry my mistake, I didn't realise that. that's good to know, thank you!

do you know for sure that all the UK Collectors' Editions are definitely SACD though?

I only ask as I've bought two different DM Collectors' Eds' over the years that had the (teeny-weeny!) SACD logo on the back cover.. but turned out to have just a redbook CD in them instead.

ah ok, sorry my mistake, I didn't realise that. that's good to know, thank you!

do you know for sure that all the UK Collectors' Editions are definitely SACD though?

I only ask as I've bought two different DM Collectors' Eds' over the years that had the (teeny-weeny!) SACD logo on the back cover.. but turned out to have just a redbook CD in them instead.
I just checked and some of the editions I ordered were from CD WOW. I'm not at home until Thursday so I need to double check my purchases as I did get some from mutebank too. I don't want to mislead anyone so I'd rather check.

I just checked and some of the editions I ordered were from CD WOW. I'm not at home until Thursday so I need to double check my purchases as I did get some from mutebank too. I don't want to mislead anyone so I'd rather check.

thank you for taking the time and trouble, capsid. look forward to hearing back on your findings.

personally I'd only be getting the SACD versions for collecting purposes now.. a bit sad I know but these things are mostly getting so scarce, I'm snatching up anything on SACD I can find now!

Reading around it seems that if the mutebank catalogue number has an X in it then it is NOT SACD. So for Ultra it is either DMCD9 for the SACD version or DMCDX9 for the non SACD version.

I ordered Violater and Exciter from mute and both have Xs. Darn it.

Back