Anti-Shocker Log: QQ Members' All-Time Best Bargain Prices on SACDs & DVDAs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found Police Zenyatta Mondatta SACD (stereo only I know) at local JB Hifi for $18 when it was ebaying upwards of $60, I also found Frankie Goes to Hollywood Rage Hard SACD online at the ZTT site for about $19 when they were ebaying over $100 over 2 years ago

I WISH there was an HMV in Chicago. We had 4 huge Towers and a Virgin. RIP. :howl

ah.. I guess I shouldn't really grumble, the HMV Flagship on Oxford Street has been fantastic over the years!

I used to love Tower Records & Virgin! Here in London we had one massive Tower in Piccadilly Circus, where I got a good few goodies, especially Import stuff and in my local Tower at the Whiteleys Mall in Queensway I got some really nice things too. Towers' prices weren't always the most competitive but their stock was always pretty impressive.

As for Virgin.. oh how I miss them! Most of my best Hi-Res stuff came from their ginormous store on London's Oxford Street.

I found Police Zenyatta Mondatta SACD (stereo only I know) at local JB Hifi for $18 when it was ebaying upwards of $60, I also found Frankie Goes to Hollywood Rage Hard SACD online at the ZTT site for about $19 when they were ebaying over $100 over 2 years ago

WOW! That Frankie SACD was an amazing bit of detective work, Time Lord! Equal only to the good Doctor himself! ;)

Of the 700+ hi-res discs I own, 600 or more came from Tower. I had some friends who worked there and I got employee pricing. There was a megongous Tower four miles down the road from me. Virgin's selection of hi-res was smaller AND they had them mixed in with regular CD's. That meant if you didn't know it was out, you had to "stumble on it."

ah.. I guess I shouldn't really grumble, the HMV Flagship on Oxford Street has been fantastic over the years!

I used to love Tower Records & Virgin! Here in London we had one massive Tower in Piccadilly Circus, where I got a good few goodies, especially Import stuff and in my local Tower at the Whiteleys Mall in Queensway I got some really nice things too. Towers' prices weren't always the most competitive but their stock was always pretty impressive.

As for Virgin.. oh how I miss them! Most of my best Hi-Res stuff came from their ginormous store on London's Oxford Street.

I have a couple:

Bob Dylan collectors box set, new and sealed for ~$20 BIN on ebay.
Groove Armada - Love Box - New and sealed for $10 ebay auction
My first big find was also a used copy of Brain Salad Surgery for $15 at a time when it sold for about $300. I felt like someone at the store was going to keep me from buying it when I brought it up to the counter, lol.

David Bowie "Ziggy Stardust" SACD $4.99 US new and sealed from Borders a few month before they closed
I got one of those there too, wasn't quite that cheap but close.

I've always wondered if they had a bunch of Roxy Music Avalon SACDs for that price too.

Attachments

• borders_deal.jpg
    borders_deal.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 226
Some people think the DTS sounds better than the SACD- so you might have saved yourself a fortune!

To my surprise, there has been a time (6 years ago) when nearly all the Motown Japanese CD4 appeared at decent price on ebay. Got several of them at various prices, the best bargain was 3£ + 2.50£ shipping from UK to italy for a Mint- LP Marvin Gaye "What's going on"... Maybe nobody than me bidded on it because the OBI was missing. :)
Always on CD4, the Godfather soundtrack for 20$ shipped (i mean, the REAL Japan Paramount CD4!) while on Q8 a Dolly Parton live for 10$ shipped.

Some people think the DTS sounds better than the SACD- so you might have saved yourself a fortune!

oh yes all that ultrasonic noise quantisation business.. Let's not open up that particular can of worms..! ;)

the SACDs probably don't sound any better (or even as good!) as the DTS but they are much more collectible and that's what I'm getting SACDs for now, their collectibility & value have shot up in the last few years.

a bit sad maybe.. but its good fun finding them cheap when you know they're appreciating as time goes by.

I have a couple:

My first big find was also a used copy of Brain Salad Surgery for $15 at a time when it sold for about $300. I felt like someone at the store was going to keep me from buying it when I brought it up to the counter, lol.

Oh WOW! That Lovebox find is AMAZING, tiggers! that is super rare and goes for crazy money now! well done!! :D

I have a couple:

I remember when BSS went for $300.00 on ebay. That was the day I realized the record companies were shitheels. Almost put my copy up. But thought, $300.00? if willing to pay that, lets go higher, yeh sure! It's a keeper.

Last November I scored a copy of Alan Parsons Project "A Valid Path" DualDisc, on ebay, for $8.14 with shipping. Curently listed on Amazon.com for around $78. Almost impossible to find elsewere.

Five-six years ago I bought out the (now-defunct) DVD Planet's entire remaining stock of DVD-Audios, all sealed, for about $4 each. A bit picked over, but still.

Unfortunately, they disappeared into the black hole that is the present state of my house and haven't been seen since. For all I know, the maids made off with them.

Everything I've bought has been for regular retail price, usually on release date...the good thing about having been in to this stuff for a while now is that I was around when all the SACDs and DVD-Audios were being released. I bought Brain Salad Surgery (one of the first 3 Warner DVD-As) from a retail shop on release day.

The best deals I've got on hi-res discs have been from amazon.co.uk - Talking Heads 'Speaking In Tongues' CD+DVD-A and the Flaming Lips 'Soft Bulletin' and 'At War With The Mystics' CD+DVD-A sets both also for £5 each. I think the Talking Heads discs are still available very cheaply from Amazon UK; in my opinion no surround fan should be without Speaking In Tongues and Remain In Light.

Several years ago I bought the Roxy Music Avalon SACD at local record store for $4.99.

Back