Anti-Shocker Log: QQ Members' All-Time Best Bargain Prices on SACDs & DVDAs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O'Jays "Ship Ahoy" SACD and The Isley Brothers "3+3" SACD both sealed and new with slipcases $16.00 for both, at a used record shop! Is this the ultimate anti shocker so far?

O'Jays "Ship Ahoy" SACD and The Isley Brothers "3+3" SACD both sealed and new with slipcases $16.00 for both, at a used record shop! Is this the ultimate anti shocker so far?

I'm jealous....

Last November I scored a copy of Alan Parsons Project "A Valid Path" DualDisc, on ebay, for $8.14 with shipping. Curently listed on Amazon.com for around $78. Almost impossible to find elsewere.

Whoa, I had no idea A Valid Path had become that expensive! Just a year ago or so, I bought it for - I don't know, I guess around 20.

WOW!! I can't beat that! Absolutely amazing deal, great find!

I still did ok on them though in the scheme of things and got both of those SACDs pretty reasonably.

I picked up Ship Ahoy for £14 ($21) new at the Virgin Megastore about 5 years ago and I got the Isley Brothers on Amazon UK used but in excellent condition for £9 ($14) about 3 years ago.

Ship Ahoy is now seemingly nowhere to be found.. and the Isleys goes for silly money now.. however 3+3 does still pop up every now and again, my friend Paul found a sealed copy in the racks at hmv Oxford Street last year for £18 ($28).

Whoa, I had no idea A Valid Path had become that expensive! Just a year ago or so, I bought it for - I don't know, I guess around 20.
Yeah - I love the mix on this..... not one you'd pick to go balltistic!!!! Got I got it when it was "in stock"...

Hey, my first post here! Welcome, I said to myself. Here's a pic of a score from a couple of years ago in Burbank CA. dvd-a_atomic.jpg

Hey, my first post here! Welcome, I said to myself. Here's a pic of a score from a couple of years ago in Burbank CA.

Sweet!! And not just a great deal; great discs. Homecoming, Rumours and The Nightfly are among my most-played discs, and Carly is good too.

The times they have changed, but I got my E. Power Biggs SACD via Amazon for $10.94 + $2.98 shipping back in 2007. I've only played it twice, but that was definitely a good move.

My best deal, though, was for a clean copy of the Alison Krauss Live SACD in 2009 -- $0.98 + $2.98 shipping! Took a chance and got lucky. They were going for about $150 at the time IIRC.

Mark Z

I picked this up in Game Stop when they used to to sell used CDs a few years ago.
AbacabIMG.jpg.

I picked this up in Game Stop when they used to to sell used CDs a few years ago.
View attachment 10767.

Man, insanely jealous of that. The ET SACD is the one I broke my $30 price ceiling rule on a few years back.

J&R in NYC had a used CD sale a few months back and I scored a lot of Sony single-layer SACDs for $4 each...Celine Dion, Train, Kenny Loggins, Amanda Marshall, and a lot of classical. Biggest score ever outside of classical was probably the Nightfly DVD-Audio for $3 at a used shop.

I find that if you browse the used shops in the NYC area you'll find tons of bargains on OOP SACDs in the classical genre...less so in more popular genres.

Man, insanely jealous of that. The ET SACD is the one I broke my $30 price ceiling rule on a few years back.

J&R in NYC had a used CD sale a few months back and I scored a lot of Sony single-layer SACDs for $4 each...Celine Dion, Train, Kenny Loggins, Amanda Marshall, and a lot of classical. Biggest score ever outside of classical was probably the Nightfly DVD-Audio for $3 at a used shop.

I find that if you browse the used shops in the NYC area you'll find tons of bargains on OOP SACDs in the classical genre...less so in more popular genres.

great job on finding those Sony single layers! (y)

I just picked up the Genesis 70 - 75 box on ebay "Like New" from a reputable seller for $60/free shipping. Just the CD/DVD version, but too good a deal to pass up...

OK, I am tipping my cards here to demonstrate just how anal retentive I can be.

Firstly, I really missed the boat on the surround revival of the early 2000s. The reason is that the house I lived in did not have a favorable space for a surround setup. In 2009 I prepared to move after 20 years in the old place, and so I started to look into surround. To my dismay things were already starting to disappear. On the upside, some places were clearing out inventory at fire sale prices, but I really did not know the lay of the land in terms of what was good and what was poorly mixed, so I was just putting my toe in the water when I should have been deep sea diving. My first systematic purchases were in April of 2009. I have kept very good records of all the surround discs I bought, the date, place, and price as well as condition of the disc.

For this thread I have skipped the early purchases, such as Avalon for $20 sealed or Zeppelin How The West Was Won for $24 sealed since anyone could have gotten the same deal around that time. Below I have arranged a selection of purchases ordered by the current market value of the disc. This assumes that Amazon or eBay listings actually represent this. Which in fact I actually don't believe. I have seen many vendors post a disc for sale at an absurdly high price, and no one pays it, so the listing just sits there forever. I could have tried to use all eBay completed listings as a benchmark, but it took me long enough to do it the way I did, so just take the current valuation with a grain of salt. All paid prices (the first dollar figure) represent the price I paid including shipping and taxes. Amazon shipping generally adds $4.00 to the quoted current valuation.

Here are some of the best deals in my collection. It's also an interesting snapshot of some current asking prices. Note that if I bought it sealed, I compare to a sealed copy for sale, even though you might be able to pick it up used more cheaply:

Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company: SuperDisc $5.42 including shipping New Sealed on eBay in 2013 (currently $14 + shipping on Amazon)
Sting - Sacred Love: DVD Audio $5.43 used at a record store in 2011 (currently $19 + shipping on Amazon)

Gaye, Marvin - Let's Get It On: Hybrid SACD $9.78 New Sealed at a record store in 2012 (currently $22 + shipping on Amazon)
Neil Young - Greendale: DVD Audio $5.43 used at a record store in 2011 (currently $24 + shipping on Amazon)
Marian McPartland - Silent Pool: Hybrid SACD $4.24 New Sealed at a record store in 2012 (currently $25 + shipping on Amazon)
Tierney Sutton - Dancing In The Dark: Hybrid SACD $6.36 New Sealed at a record store in 2013 (currently $24 + shipping on Amazon)
Boz Scaggs - Fade Into Light: Dual Disc $8.56 used at a record store in 2012 (currently $27 + shipping on Amazon)

Nickel Creek - Nickel Creek: SACD $10.94 used at a record store in 2012 (currently $30 + shipping on Amazon)
Seal - Seal [1991]: DVD Audio $13.97 used at a record store in 2012 (currently $30 + shipping on Amazon)
Rod Stewart - It Had To Be You: Great American Songbook: DVD Audio $5.77 used at a record store in 2012 (currently $32 + shipping on Amazon)
Mickey Hart - The Best of Mickey Hart: DVD Audio $13.13 used at a record store in 2012 (currently $33 + shipping on Amazon)
Spyro Gyra - Wrapped In A Dream: Hybrid SACD $6.36 New Sealed at a record store in 2011 (currently $37 + shipping on Amazon)
Emmylou Harris - Producer's Cut: DVD Audio $5.43 used at a record store in 2011 (currently $39 + shipping on Amazon)

Elvis Costello - North: SACD $14.49 new sealed on Amazon in 2011 (currently $40 sealed + shipping on Amazon)
Michael McDonald - Motown: DVD Audio $10.97 used at a record store in 2011 (currently $44 + shipping on Amazon)
Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue: Hybrid SACD $7.61 used at a record store in 2012 (currently $45 + shipping on eBay for the edition I got)
Fleetwood Mac - Live At The BBC: DVD Audio $13.13 used at a record store in 2012 (currently $48 + shipping on Amazon)

Humble Pie - Live At The Whisky A-Go-Go: DVD Audio $10.98 new sealed on Amazon in 2010 (currently $50 sealed + shipping on Amazon)
Kitaro - Sacred Journey of Ku-Kai: SACD $3.29 used at a record store in 2012 (currently $53 + shipping on Amazon)
Seal - Seal [1994]: CD & DVD Audio $9.62 New Sealed at a record store in 2012 (currently $55 + shipping on Amazon)
Boz Scaggs - Dig: DVD Audio $11.15 used at a record store in 2012 (currently $55 + shipping on Amazon)
Jackson Browne - Running On Empty: DVD Audio $14.76 used on Amazon in 2010 (currently $55 + shipping on eBay)

Sting - Nothing Like The Sun: DVD Audio $10.73 used at a record store in 2012 (currently $60 + shipping on Amazon)
Queen - A Night At The Opera: DVD Audio $10.86 used at a record store in 2011 (currently $63 + shipping on Amazon)
Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead: DVD Audio $9.68 used at a record store in 2011 (currently $64 + shipping on Amazon)
Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms: Dual Disc $10.75 used at a record store in 2013 (currently $66 + shipping on Amazon)

Bonnie Raitt - Nick Of Time: DVD Audio $5.43 used at a record store in 2011 (currently $72 + shipping on Amazon)
Big Phat Band - XXL: DVD Audio: $6.96 New Sealed on eBay in 2012 (currently $79 {new} + shipping on Amazon)

Paul McCartney - Band On The Run: Official DTS $10.00 used at a stereo equipment store in 2012 (currently $83 + shipping on Amazon)
Steely Dan - Everything Must Go: DVD Audio $14.81 New Sealed at a record store in 2013 (currently $94 sealed + shipping on Amazon)
Kitaro - Best Of Silk Road: DVD Audio $8.97 new sealed on Amazon in 2012 (currently $95 sealed + shipping on Amazon)

Shania Twain - Up: DVD Audio $18.01 New Sealed at a record store in 2013 (currently $101 sealed + shipping on Amazon)
Ryan Adams - Gold: DVD Audio $15.87 New Sealed at a record store in 2013 (currently $150 sealed + shipping on Amazon)
Fleetwood Mac - Live At The BBC: Dual Disc $13.96 new sealed on Amazon in 2010 (currently $160 sealed + shipping on Amazon)

Mary Chapin Carpenter - Time* Sex* Love*: SACD $12.46 new sealed on Amazon in 2012 (currently $207 sealed + shipping on Amazon)

In the end I really just want the music, but it is interesting to see these things traded like stocks & bonds. Especially when in some cases the exact same music in two channel can be "valued" by the market at a penny plus shipping. Weird times. But this is why I believe that the music industry should have more interest in surround. Look at what is holding its' value!

Fourplay

Back