Q8: Pioneer QH-44 Quad 8 Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
Pioneer QH-44 Quad 8 Player
Vintage: 1973
Rarity: Scarce

qh44.jpg

One curiosity that I've always had about this QH-44 is if it has similar head ramp mechanism like their QP-400/424/444 car units. These use a two-position mechanism versus the typical 4-position mechanism found in all stereo and most other Q8 units.

I have never had one of these to open up so I am not sure. It is one of the items I want the most right now though. Great looking deck.

You wouldn't even need to open it to tell. Just play A Q8 tape. As you know, most Q8 players cycle the track change solenoid three times in rapid succession when going from Program 2 to program 1. The Pioneer QP series only has to cycle the solenoid once. For stereo operation, the QP series would work as follows: Program 1-Head assembly in upper position, odd pair of heads used. Program 2- Head assembly in lower position, odd pair of heads used. Program 3-Head assembly in upper position, even pair of heads used. Program 4- Head assembly in lower position, even pair of heads used.

Okay. I have one of these on the way now, so I will be able to let you know shortly.

One curiosity that I've always had about this QH-44 is if it has similar head ramp mechanism like their QP-400/424/444 car units. These use a two-position mechanism versus the typical 4-position mechanism found in all stereo and most other Q8 units.

Finally able to answer your question. It is a 4 position head. It does the normal quick 3 cycle between programs 2 and 1 on Q8's.

Okay. Thanks for settling that for me. I would've figured they would have carried the two-position set-up over to this.

QH-44 was NOT in Pioneer's regular line, it was part of Centrex, their compact/mid-fi line. I don't recall Pioneer having a Q8 deck in their regular line. Yes, this is a good deck. Although we were a dealer for both Centrex and Pioneer, I recall them being two separate franchises.

Okay. Thanks for settling that for me. I would've figured they would have carried the two-position set-up over to this.

Hmm, why didn't they use Centrex branding on it at all? Most Centrex I've seen used that branding. Also, most of what I've seen are all in one type compact units. Also the design tends to differ drastically from other Pioneer. The QH-44 seems to use similar design as other pioneer equipment. Not to mention that there is also a stereo deck that looks almost exactly the same.

Many Centrex compacts did not have an 8-track built in. Some did. Others had only a turntable. Some had a cassette and turntable. There were several Centrex 8 track decks, some were branded Pioneer. At the time of Quad, Pioneer had three consumer audio divisions: Pioneer, Centrex and car audio, which was merged with Craig for a short time.

Centrex was mostly compacts, but also had portables and eight track decks.

H-22 was the 2 ch 8 track that corresponded to QH-44
690736_thumb_IMG_2537.JPG

RH-65 2 ch recorder:
Centrex_RH-65.jpg

TH-30 2ch player:
5022ce14dcfcf_78841n.jpg

Hmm, why didn't they use Centrex branding on it at all? Most Centrex I've seen used that branding. Also, most of what I've seen are all in one type compact units. Also the design tends to differ drastically from other Pioneer. The QH-44 seems to use similar design as other pioneer equipment. Not to mention that there is also a stereo deck that looks almost exactly the same.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, cause I know you probably have forgotten more than I will ever know about this equipment but I still find it odd tht there is Centrex branding on everything you posted except the H-22 and QH-44. On my QH-44 there is no Centrex branding anywhere on it. Not even on the back labeling.

To me it appears the TH-30 is the Centrex version of the H-22 and that the RH-65 is the Centrex version of the H-R100 (I actully think it's funny cause the RH-65 has all the fetures of the H-R100, practically the same deck in a different case, but it probably cost a lot less).

It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. I do recall Centrex and car stereo being separate franchises, as well as all 8 tracks being under the Centrex franchise. And yes, it's true that there were 8 track decks labelled Pioneer, as well as Centrex by Pioneer. There were also car stereos labelled Craig/Pioneer, although they all looked like Craig chassis.

I think the only 8-Track decks I've seen in mainstream Pioneer ads and cataalogs that I've seen were the HR99 and HR100 recorders so maybe they just sold everything else through Centrex. Did Centrex have its own catalogs?

Yes, there were several catalogs over the years for each division, as well as 8 1/2 x11 pages for each piece of gear.
I think the only 8-Track decks I've seen in mainstream Pioneer ads and cataalogs that I've seen were the HR99 and HR100 recorders so maybe they just sold everything else through Centrex. Did Centrex have its own catalogs?

Do you still have any from the quad era?

QH-44 was NOT in Pioneer's regular line, it was part of Centrex, their compact/mid-fi line. I don't recall Pioneer having a Q8 deck in their regular line. Yes, this is a good deck. Although we were a dealer for both Centrex and Pioneer, I recall them being two separate franchises.

Hi Linda here is the Pioneer Quad deck I've been using for a few years now. Built like a Mack Truck with a motor that could start a car! Works well although the track switching solenoid doesn't work and I 've never really messed with it enough to fix it. Should be simple though.

Attachments

• pioneer deck.jpg
    pioneer deck.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 189
Wow! That's neat! I've never seen that one before. Was that a US offering?

Back