Q4: Dokorder 1140

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
Dokorder 1140 Quad Reel-to-Reel
Vintage 1973
Rarity: Very Scarce

vinDokorder03.jpg
vinAd74Dokorder1140.jpg

Attachments

• dokorder_reel_to_reel_tape_machine_50_east_austin_11120436.jpg
    dokorder_reel_to_reel_tape_machine_50_east_austin_11120436.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 159
I love this one..!! :) That's what a Quad recorder should look like..!! The elevated VU's are sooo cool...I think Denon made a similar unit, but maybe only in Japan. Dokorder & Denon...they are basically the same company arn't they..?? ...or am I thinking of something else..?? Thanks for posting these photos..!! :D

Denon and Dokorder were seperate companies. Dokorder was made by Denki Onkyo of Tokyo. NOT to be confused with Onkyo, who makes receivers and is based in Osaka. We were a Dokorder dealer for a WEEK! After selling a few dozen, we had a rash of machines break, including store demos. We advised them that we would not be paying the invoice and sent them back. From Wikipedia: "but ultimately its products were found to be less durable than the competition."

I love this one..!! :) That's what a Quad recorder should look like..!! The elevated VU's are sooo cool...I think Denon made a similar unit, but maybe only in Japan. Dokorder & Denon...they are basically the same company arn't they..?? ...or am I thinking of something else..?? Thanks for posting these photos..!! :D

Denon and Dokorder were seperate companies. Dokorder was made by Denki Onkyo of Tokyo. NOT to be confused with Onkyo, who makes receivers and is based in Osaka. We were a Dokorder dealer for a WEEK! After selling a few dozen, we had a rash of machines break, including store demos. We advised them that we would not be paying the invoice and sent them back. From Wikipedia: "but ultimately its products were found to be less durable than the competition."

Thanks for clearing that up. I was always a bit hazy on where Dokorder fit in the vintage Hi-Fi scheme of things. I originally thought it was some obscure German company, then later I read something about a Denon connection.....now I know the truth......Not Denon, and potentially wildly unreliable.....cheers. (y)

Like you, I thought it was at first German. Most Japanese gear, especially back then was extremely reliable. Sanyo's the only other that comes to mind as somewhat unreliable. Still, it wasn't as bad as Dokorder. This 1140 had great styling, though.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was always a bit hazy on where Dokorder fit in the vintage Hi-Fi scheme of things. I originally thought it was some obscure German company, then later I read something about a Denon connection.....now I know the truth......Not Denon, and potentially wildly unreliable.....cheers. (y)

I remember this one. Thinking* that the TEAC TCA-40, 41,42 & 43 models in this configuration came along first.

*faulty memories and daydreams at no extra charge

Denon and Dokorder were seperate companies. Dokorder was made by Denki Onkyo of Tokyo. NOT to be confused with Onkyo, who makes receivers and is based in Osaka. We were a Dokorder dealer for a WEEK! After selling a few dozen, we had a rash of machines break, including store demos....
Yes, I had a 7240. The cheapest 4 track/4 channel model. What a piece of junk. It even had a defective playback head. It reproduced the sound ok, but rubbed the oxide off in the process. I should have returned it while I had a chance. I did manage to sell it to some sucker. Bet he wasn't too happy a few days later.

I'm trying to remember what store I bought it at. Some big store in Los Angeles. Don't think it was Pacific Stereo. One of the others. Who else was big back then?

It wasn't Rogersound Labs either. Surprised to find this: http://rslspeakers.com/

I have one in my rack
I have pulled it apart as to fit into
the space I had it still works OK

" Don't think it was Pacific Stereo. One of the others. Who else was big back then? "

Leo's, University Stereo and Federated Group all competed with Pacific Stereo.

Back