Q4: Sansui QD-5500 Reel-to-Reel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
Sansui QD-5500 Reel-to-Reel
Vintage 1972
Rarity: Very Scarce

Sansui_QD-5500.jpg

Good to see that these fine machines are represented on the forum. I bought the original QD5500S in 1973 in England. It was actually more expensive at the time than the Teac A3340, which with simulsync, might have been considered superior by some.

The attraction in the Sansui is of course the sound, which is amazing. The heads on the QD5500S wore away being permalloy many years ago, but the legacy lives on, in having imported from the USA, two QD5500 machines, at different times, both of which, (via Ebay) continue to fly the flag for Sansui. Used in two separate quad systems, they are built like military tanks and were made to show off the 4 channel open reel tapes, similarly imported, due to the fact that they were not generally available in the United Kingdom.

Like the electronics in my two QRX9001's they continue to function flawlessly, although the tape types used will eventually claim them.

I have heard that Sansui capitulated with the mechanical tape deck and they were actually produced in limited numbers by Nakamichi with Sansui electronics. Certainly the production runs were few. Like the QRX receivers the silver S model appeared first and the black 5500 afterwards. This was supposed to have been to do with production costs and grading of products, according to the late lamented Sansui showroom in London. (Closed down years ago.)

These days they still appear in well worn condition on E Bay but I shudder to think what the heads would be like.

Best wishes to all.

Yes, these units certainly are built like military tanks!
Try lugging four of them around the house for a simple photo op.
:rolleyes:
Two QD-5500s and two SD-5050s, amongst a couple TEACs:
7R2Rdecks4_zps4937844b.jpg

Hi guys, re: this r2r, what's the best way to check the remaining lifetime on the heads?
Sorry, tubo, can't help you with any quantitative data. I just judge mine subjectively by music range reproduction - they're all doing great. I am second owner on all, and they all appear to have been only very little used. Lucky me.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the prompt response. I have a chance to get a really nice mint one, but since it's on the more rare side, I want to make sure I'm not walking into an "unobtanium" trap if something breaks down the road. Sounds like you have lots of good experience with yours, which is encouraging:)

Well, oops(!), I now realize I should have qualified my "music range reproduction" statement by including that the VA has rated my hearing loss as 20%, the result of way too many hours in high-volume noise environments in 23 years of USAF career.
:rolleyes:

A message to all on this thread,

The quality of our heads is dependent on use and abuse.

Like AlamoQuad with 23 years in the USAF, I suffer with tinnitus through 12 years in the RAF!

Of course this has nothing to do with quadraphonic sound until you see the size of the four loudspeakers.

The answer to Tubelicious and QD5500 head life may well lie within this forum. If we each submit pictures of the state of our heads with write up of the sound that comes from them, we may be able to give some idea to prospective buyers.

I can tell you now that in the 1970s the Sansui showroom in London, switched the QD5500 off, after each playing. This may be to do with the life of the heads, or the fact that like tube amplifiers they get so hot, if left on too long. The QD5500 is solid state, but after a few hours, your steaks will be cooked!

A complete head block, that is the full transport mechanism was available for this model from Japan back in the 1970s. It was very expensive and approached the cost of the machine.

An indication of life comes if you know the type of tape that the QD5500 has had to play in the last forty years.

The Ferro Chrome sounds amazing but will take the heads out much faster than older types in my opinion.

I all but killed my QD5500S this way some years ago and would not attempt to play tapes on it now.

These permalloy heads have a better sound to my ears than ferrite heads do but at the cost of replacement tape heads, when they wear out.

Many of the Japanese made open reel tape recorders used permalloy heads and all seem to have gone the same way.

As odd as it may seem, the playback, in reverse on the auto playback of the QD5500, seems to show losses first. The forward play seems to last, that includes four channel playback, the longest.

These are some of my thoughts after 43 years of Sansui QD ownership and three of them.

I hope that this helps the prospective buyer. Good luck.

Soundcentre

I can pick up one that "works good" off the local CL for $130. Wonder if I should roll the dice? No way to tell the condition of the heads just by looking at them? I don't have any tapes yet.

I can pick up one that "works good" off the local CL for $130. Wonder if I should roll the dice? No way to tell the condition of the heads just by looking at them? I don't have any tapes yet.

The best way without test gear is to see if the heads have been kept clean and run your fingernail from top to bottom to feel if there is a worn groove from passing too many tapes. Heads can be relapped, but it can be expensive. If you have a tech who will work on reel decks, or you are capable yourself, then it is a decent price if it isn't too worn. If I know I am going to see a reel deck, I pocket a few alcohol swabs and use them to wipe the heads.

Back