1st 5.1 Album Purchased, NOT Quad, What's Yours?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
What was the 1st 5.1 album you purchased on DTS CD, DVD-A, SACD 5.1, DVD-A or Blu-Ray? Albums only, not video concerts. There is a separate thread for Quad recordings.

Here's mine, which came in a standard CD jewel box:
2501943.jpg

It was either ELP's Brain Salad Surgery or Deep Purple's Machine Head, or maybe the Doors' L.A. Woman, whichever came first.
I don't know if you're counting the Paul McCartney and Moody Blues DTS CDs as 5.1, as they claim to be, but I bought those first.

Very good question, Linda!

I think it was a DTS title too, possibly Queens' A Night At The Opera DVD-A.. but I'll have to double check and wrack those little grey cells..! That was definitely the first DVD-A I remember buying.

although I do recall that with my first DVD player, a Pioneer DV-414 back in '98, DTS playback was an important feature for me.

Up until then, I'd only had Dolby Digital (from my Pioneer CLD-925 Laserdisc player, via coaxial, through the Yamaha APD-1 AC-3 RF Demodulator, via optical, to Yamaha's DDP-1 Processor, into the 6-channel input of my Yamaha DSP-A592 amp - all those wires daisychained up just to get Dolby bloody Digital..! No wonder my friends called me "the wire queen"..! HDMI may not be perfect but at least its just one damned connection to do all that and more, the video signals included!) ..so DTS was a big deal at that point.

..so, to get back to the point, my first 5.1 album could well have been a DTS CD if we're talking that far back (i.e. 1998).. Right, thinking cap on..!

It was either ELP's Brain Salad Surgery or Deep Purple's Machine Head, or maybe the Doors' L.A. Woman, whichever came first.
I don't know if you're counting the Paul McCartney and Moody Blues DTS CDs as 5.1, as they claim to be, but I bought those first.

aarrgghh..! the quad to dts jobbies! of course, they're kinda pseudo-5.1..!

that's a spanner in the works, Quadwreck(er..!) :D only joking!

ok, I'm just gonna stick my neck on the block and say it was Queens' ANATO DVD-A..!
(although it probably wasn't! d'oh!).

phew! :)

Hmmm

It was one of these (my memory's hazy):

R.E.M. - Automatic For The People - DVD-A
Yes - Fragile - DVD-A
Yes - Magnification - DVD-A
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors - DVD-A
Steely Dan - Two Against Nature - DVD-A

Linda - funny you mention Passion Dance - I just got that based on your comments this year!!!

Brain Salad Surgery was my 1st DVD-A in a CD size jewel box. I believe it was the first 5.1 DVD-A released.

I think It was
Queens - Night at the Opera (DVDA)

But it could have been one of these as well
ELP - Brain salad Surgery (DVDA)
or
Metallica - Black Album DVDA
or
Deep Purple - Machine head (DVDA)
Or
The Doobie Brothers - The Captain and Me (DVDA)

All bought before I had a true DVDA player one of teh reasons why i was sold on the format, surround sound with out too much investment

ELP "Brain Salad Surgery" and Doobie Brothers "The Captain and Me" I purchased them together.

Great, great memories hearing them for the first time. I was blown away at the sound! :smokin

Seal IV....
bought when it came out in 2004 (My girl and I are very big Seal/Trevor H fans)..
We saw it was in "regular" CD and in a deluxe with a "Surround" DVD (didn't know what a DVD-A was back then...), so we went the extra mile...
I remember listening to the Stereo High resolution thru my PA (that was before I had a Quad system) and being floored...also, out of curiosity, listening to the front channels of the MCH mix, and going "Hey, cool, it's REALLY MCH, a lot of elements missing from the Stereo!"

Bought the MCH cause of my fondness of Quad from the 70's ...I think it was then that I decided that I'd have to save to buy me a Surround system ("Someday I'll get one")....took me only 4 years (salaries in Spain are pitiful...that is , if you are lucky enough to have a job!)

BTW, I was VERY pleased when I finally "discovered" DVD-As that this was one!!!

Yes Fragile and Deep Purple Machinehead DVDAs bought from the bins at Tower records, before I had a surround system set up so it was just Hi rez stereo listening for a while....

First 5.1 titles bought was Alan Parsons "On Air" on dts cd, along with Santana Abraxas, Ohio Players Fire and Eric Clapton 461, all quad-repurposed titles.
DVD-A came later.

Pretty sure it was the DSOTM SACD, although Peter Gabriel's "Up" came very soon after, as did "Deadwing".

Hmmm.... it was definitely a DTS-CD as I didn't yet own a DVD player. Had a Philips CD player with a coaxial digital out. The title was either Bachman-Turner Overdrive's "Not Fragile" or Wings "Band On The Run".

Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" -- January 9 2002 (only DVD-A I ever purchased from a local shop), and Ry Cooder's "Buena Vista Social Club" ordered from Amazon same day -- January 9 2002.

Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" -- January 9 2002 (only DVD-A I ever purchased from a local shop), and Ry Cooder's "Buena Vista Social Club" ordered from Amazon same day -- January 9 2002.

oh how I wish I'd bought that Buena Vista DVDA back when I could just pick it up on HMV's shelves for £20!
it now goes for silly money. who'd pay the prices folks are asking for it now!?

*bangs head against wall*

Back