1st 5.1 Album Purchased, NOT Quad, What's Yours?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's probably Dark Side of the Moon on SACD, it was only in the winter 2004/2005 I got a proper surround setup (with DVD-A and SACD capability). I did own Sting's Sacred SACD, but I won that in a contest.

Björk's Vespertine DVD-A. I remember I got impressed to hear it in multichannel in my cheap home theater (played the DVD-V layer with DD 5.1). 2 years later I rediscovered it by knowing that it also has a high resolution stereo and multichannel layer... no way to go back to DD!

Since then (2004) I became a high resolution audio fan with no return =) Great years were those when you could go to the music store and see brand new music in this format (SACD7DVD-A). Now, unfortunately we can only find reissues and just on on-line stores.

I bought 4 when I got my first universal piece of crap: Blow by Blow, LA Woman, Machine Head and Foreigner.

I read about the DSOTM SACD just ahead of its release, that was the first I'd heard of the format or of new multi-channel music. In high school in the 80s I had a friend who had the Doors' quad record, but no way to play it. Despite not having heard quad I thought it was an interesting idea and kept it in the back of my mind. So, I bought the DSOTM disc and then assembled a 5.0 setup on the cheap so that I could experience it properly. Considering where it led, it was the most expensive disc I have ever bought...

Queen - a Night at the Opera, then The Who - Tommy and then Disturbed - Believe, after that I bought Pink floyd SACD, but dummy me, I dont have a SACD player... but its an investment I will be doing soon :p

bigcratelarge.jpg

Fragile and Toy Matinee.

Opeth's Still Life

After seeing Opeth at Progressive Nation 09 and listening to a borrowed copy of Blackwater Park from my dad's prog friend I did some review searching on Progarchives and learned about some of their albums, not Still Life though. I was searching through BestBuy, (when they still had a decent selection) and saw the Digibook version of Still Life. I loved the style of the Digibook and especially the artwork! Then I looked at the $16 price tag for it, and it became an instant buy. I went home and popped it into my DVD player(Dolby Digital) that had cheap 5.1 speakers ($150) and started listening to it in surround sound. Didn't know much about surround sound at that time but when the acoustic/lead guitar dual solo came in at 5:56 during "The Moor", I started to tear up and just went "Holy Crap!! I have been listening to music through my iPod all these years!! I should have known about this sooner! This sounds like heaven!" Then I almost immediately bought the "Fear of a Blank Planet" DVDA from BurningShed, started upgrading my system, bought lots more surround sound discs and haven't looked back since. :sun

Alan Parsons - On Air
BTO - Not Fragile
Wings - Band On The Run
Verdi - Aida
somewhere mid of '99. 4 titles, all were DTS CDs

Back