10 WORST 5.1/Quad Mixes - What's yours?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never understood the extreme dislike for THE DOORS in 5.1. Sure, it coulda been more 4-channel oriented--and no more than that--but the mixes on the old Quad Lp were no great shakes to begin with, so there must have been logical reasons for making what amounted to a 3.1 with rear ambience (and not much of that). But the sound is otherwise excellent, as are the performances, so it still gets regular play at the ranch. For that reason, the mixes of KOB and TIME OUT don't bother me that much, either. Presuming that all they had were 3-tracks to work with, not sure what more could've been done.

Truth is, we could all probably list a hundred titles (at least) that didn't live up to quad/5.1 potential. I'll add Jim Croce's titles to the list, since they weren't much to brag about, either. And while I *could* knock the Tommy James and CCR Q8's for not being everything they coulda been, there's enough that IS of quality on both to keep them out off the shitlist.

ED :)

The issue, to me, with the Doors mix is that it exemplifies a complete lack of imagination to surround mixing. You could have even accomplished something more immerssive utilizing Ambisonics. It's very hard to believe that what is, essentially, a three-channel mix was the best professionals could do.

No one listed The Byrds - Byrdmaniax Japanese SQ LP. It is one of the worst (among some bad ones) out there. Roger's 12 string disappears, some Clarence White Leads are missing, and some of the steel guitars. You can hear the ghosts of these missing parts as reverb ghosts. Plus the backing vocals on some are only halfway up in the mix. No credit is given to who remixed this one. The Byrds fired the production team after the original release, a shame in that Melcher or someone involved with the band probably could have done a better job (IIRC, Chicago did this with their quad releases, remixed by their engineers on at least a few of them). Some of us definitely could have done a better job! I like the album for what it is, not being a big Byrds fan. I was disappointed because I would have thought Japan quads would be of better quality. The vinyl itself is good, but IMO Columbia 70s vinyl in most countries wasn't as bad as say, RCA.

regrettably I have 10 worst lists for different formats!

my 10 worst surround mixes on SACD:
10.) Brubeck - Time Out,
9.) Miles - Kind of Blue,
8.) Rory Gallagher Big Guns,
7.) Claptons' Slowhand,
6.) All the Way - Celine Dion,
5.) Layla - Derek & the Dominos,
4.) Destination - Ronan Keating,
3.) A Travesty - Nick Drake,
2.) Supernature - Goldfrapp,
1.) Sacred Love - Sting.

List of 10 worst on DVDA:
10.) Iron Maiden - Dance of Death,
9.) Stone Temple Pilots,
8.) Natalie Merchant - Tigerlily,
7.) kd lang - invincible summer,
6.) ELVIS Number 1's,
5.) Neil Youngs Harvest,
4.) Sinatra at the Sands,
3.) Megadeth,
2.) George Benson Breezin',
1.) Rod Stewarts Gershwin Schmaltz.

My 10 worst DualDisc (or CD+DVD-A/V) mixes:
10.) Rebel Sweetheart - Wallflowers,
9.) Gold Medal - The Donnas,
8.) Pet Sounds - Beach Boys,
7.) Springsteen Devils & Dust,
6.) Final Straw - Snow Patrol,
5.) Back to the Blues - Gary Moore,
4.) Paranoid UK Deluxe Ed (from a Quad LP thats been dragged round the floor and smothered in jam!?)- Black Sabbath,
3.) Keane Hopes & Fears,
2.) Heavier Things - John Mayer,
1.) Have A Nice Day - Bon Jovi.

I AM a huge Byrds fan. Let me go out on a limb and say it was mixed in the US. It was never released in the US in Quad. The album is one of their poorest and didn't sell well here.

No one listed The Byrds - Byrdmaniax Japanese SQ LP. It is one of the worst (among some bad ones) out there. Roger's 12 string disappears, some Clarence White Leads are missing, and some of the steel guitars. You can hear the ghosts of these missing parts as reverb ghosts. Plus the backing vocals on some are only halfway up in the mix. No credit is given to who remixed this one. The Byrds fired the production team after the original release, a shame in that Melcher or someone involved with the band probably could have done a better job (IIRC, Chicago did this with their quad releases, remixed by their engineers on at least a few of them). Some of us definitely could have done a better job! I like the album for what it is, not being a big Byrds fan. I was disappointed because I would have thought Japan quads would be of better quality. The vinyl itself is good, but IMO Columbia 70s vinyl in most countries wasn't as bad as say, RCA.

I AM a huge Byrds fan. Let me go out on a limb and say it was mixed in the US. It was never released in the US in Quad. The album is one of their poorest and didn't sell well here.

And the DVD-A made from the Robin reel sounds a zillion times better than the Japan SQ LP.

The issue, to me, with the Doors mix is that it exemplifies a complete lack of imagination to surround mixing. You could have even accomplished something more immerssive utilizing Ambisonics. It's very hard to believe that what is, essentially, a three-channel mix was the best professionals could do.
Probably an issue with how to balance everything with the limited channels they had. Since the other albums turned out quite well in 5.1, can't say I can carp much over the debut, which sounds great with the mix they had, even if I'd wished they'd done more with it.ED :)

Probably an issue with how to balance everything with the limited channels they had. Since the other albums turned out quite well in 5.1, can't say I can carp much over the debut, which sounds great with the mix they had, even if I'd wished they'd done more with it.ED :)
They did much more with it in 1973.

And apparently, over thirty years later, weren't happy with the results (which the Doors themselves might not have had any approval over). Otherwise, why just go with the L/C/R?

I thought the same person (Bruce Botnick!?) oversaw both the "Best Of" quad and the Perception DVDA 5.1 mixes?

I thought the same person (Bruce Botnick!?) oversaw both the "Best Of" quad and the Perception DVDA 5.1 mixes?

Maybe...but I seem to remember that the surviving Doors were involved with the project, too, so maybe they had final approval? Or maybe BB just changed his mind and went with what he thought best? Any of them ever discuss this?

Have not seen this one listed yet:

Fleetwood Mac "Say You Will"

This was a letdown for me as the music seems good but the 5.1 effort falls way short.

Megadeth DVD A; Peace sells. Horrible bright guitars. Too much treble; hurts the ears.

Staind DVD A; 14 Shades. Terrible compression; clipping throughout. Crazy to make a Hi Rez title this loud. It is not like it will be heard via the radio.

Titanic SACD; 95% OF TIME nothing is in the rears. Complete joke. It is actually a 3.1 title. Complete waste.

These may be controversial......
Crowded House - I hate the mix on Don't Dream Its Over... the vocals in the rear don't seem integrated....

Nooooooooooo - This is one of my faves- Altho I will give you that "Don't Dream It's Over" rings a lil hollow and the rear vocals on the "Hey Now Hey Now" Chorus seem weak and a lil out of place. The rest of the DVD-A is astounding with great use of the subwoofer. So far one of the best bass sounding 5.1s I have heard without having to mess with my subwoofer settings or tone.

Hi Lizard, Hope it ok if I disagree..........but yeah ur right one that one song - cya on the forums :51banana:

Nooooooooooo - This is one of my faves- Altho I will give you that "Don't Dream It's Over" rings a lil hollow and the rear vocals on the "Hey Now Hey Now" Chorus seem weak and a lil out of place. The rest of the DVD-A is astounding with great use of the subwoofer. So far one of the best bass sounding 5.1s I have heard without having to mess with my subwoofer settings or tone.

Hi Lizard, Hope it ok if I disagree..........but yeah ur right one that one song - cya on the forums :51banana:

No worries!

I perhaps was a bit harsh.... but as you say the vocals on "Don't Dream It's Over" rings a lil hollow and the rear vocals on the "Hey Now Hey Now" Chorus seem weak and a lil out of place." for me that totally ruins it...

Have not seen this one listed yet:

Fleetwood Mac "Say You Will"

This was a letdown for me as the music seems good but the 5.1 effort falls way short.

Music is very good on about half the Dvd-a, the 5.1 shines on the Lindsey Buckingham tracks especially the song "Come" - for still being able to get it "used" for under 20 bux at times, Worth a listen for Lindsey Buckingham fans :cool:

Sorry still getting used to Multi Quote :mad:@:

Hootie & The Blowfish - S/T DVD-A
Snow Patrol SACD
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me - SACD
Genesis - Invisible Touch - SACD
Peter Gabriel - Live In Athens - DVD

Some Chopin SACD that I can't remember the name of. The rears were barely audible, and I think it was processed sound anyway.

Back