10 WORST 5.1/Quad Mixes - What's yours?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I confess I haven't listened to it in awhile (have the CD-4)...maybe I am mixing it up with something else but I remember it being on the subtle side.

it was a surprise to hear you say it was faked since i remembered it being one of the better A&M Quad mixes i'd heard (and the Q8 of it sounding really good was as big a surprise too! :D )

Didn't our resident expert converters figure out that the problem with Steely Dan's "Pretzel Logic" had two channels switched?

Didn't our resident expert converters figure out that the problem with Steely Dan's "Pretzel Logic" had two channels switched?

oh yes! (i dunno about expert but..!!) at one time i thought i had sussed it and that it needed a channel swap, i'll check my notes tonight. thanks for the reminder!

Opeth - Sorceress 5.1 DVD in the Ltd. Ed. Box Set - which is selling on Discogs for less than I paid!

I'm seconding this. What makes it so much worse is that the rest of the Opeth 5.1 back catalog is fantastic so it was a real surprise to find out how horrible this was. Of course it was only available if you shelled out the money for the big deluxe version.

I really do not think this is an actual mix. Instead they just prerecorded an automated upmix.

This gem from Silverline is pretty terrible

R-5721478-1401043563-8617.jpeg.jpg

Love this album only to be so disappointed by the rotten DD layer on this Dual Disc. I think it's just double stereo but can't be sure.

R-6322606-1484966316-5119.jpeg.jpg

I am posting this here as a warning to all. I bought this when it first came out in 2018, for the 2016 DVD concert dedicated to Keith Emerson, which even features Hackett at one point. I went back and played it again yesterday, convincing myself the surround could not be as bad as I recalled. It is. It is shockingly bad.

The audio mix is by Carl Palmer and the album's exec producer, David Frangioni. Not a good legacy for Keith at all. :(

1647729932234.png

Back