Monster Music Deluxe CD + Audio DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only problem with the monster music site is this message...

"This recipient does not accept payments from non-US PayPal accounts"

I had to ring them to get a the disc's
and they rang me back
I did not think they would
I am in Australia
Ron

I'm one who always wants hi-rez myself, but I have to admit I've rocked out pretty good to some dts 96/24 discs. They seem to sound really good at high volume levels, which is the way I usually listen. six string theory is definitely one of those. I also really like the mix of the live 3 doors down monster dvd-v. The mix is one of those rare live ones that has true discrete sound in the rears. I Like the pop alt-rock too.

I agree with Wanners , this is good Concert video.

Worth getting for the Live version of their classic - KRYPTONITE

3 Doors Down.jpg

When the Miles was first announced, I ran to J&R to try to purchase it, but what was there was only a sample to listen to on headphones and not a release for sale, which was rather odd. This was sometime last year, I believe (time has blurred since the baby arrived.) I honestly forgot about its existence since and haven't followed up.

I wasn't sure whether it was a surround release or some binaural-type stereo thing. There's definite surround potential with such a beautifully layered work. I've had luck with it myself in the past. I'm sure that, in the right hands, it could come out beautifully.

I believe Elmer said it best. It's a landmark album for both jazz and ambient-heads. I also think of "In a Silent Way" in the same vein, but with a very different approach.

I'm with Linda here...where did that Miles come from? (Whoops.....posted this before I saw page two of this thread) I can also recommend highly the Ritenour 6 String Theory.

When the Miles was first announced, I ran to J&R to try to purchase it, but what was there was only a sample to listen to on headphones and not a release for sale, which was rather odd. This was sometime last year, I believe (time has blurred since the baby arrived.) I honestly forgot about its existence since and haven't followed up.

I wasn't sure whether it was a surround release or some binaural-type stereo thing. There's definite surround potential with such a beautifully layered work. I've had luck with it myself in the past. I'm sure that, in the right hands, it could come out beautifully.

I believe Elmer said it best. It's a landmark album for both jazz and ambient-heads. I also think of "In a Silent Way" in the same vein, but with a very different approach.

Well, I received my copy today - purchased via Ebay for $9.99 (new) - packaged in a standard DVD case - it's DTS 96/24 5.1 - it's a wonderfully immersive mix - keeping in mind that this was recorded in 1959 and multi tracks were rather limited - it is, I believe the best it can be under the circumstances. Miles is present in all channels ( sort of the lead vocal). The orchestra, conducted and arranged by Gil Evans is spread nicely. This is the best sounding version I have heard to date - an all time perennial fave - and for $9.99, a steal. Now the curious thing is that this never had a formal release and does not exist as title on Monster Music's site - but the package, disc, comprehensive liner note booklet indicate otherwise. Either way, I'm glad I got it - another strong release from Monster Music.

Last edited:
Well, I received my copy today - purchased via Ebay for $9.99 (new) - packaged in a standard DVD case - it's DTS 96/24 5.1 - it's a wonderfully immersive mix - keeping in mind that this was recorded in 1957 and multi tracks were rather limited - it is, I believe the best it can be under the circumstances. Miles is present in all channels ( sort of the lead vocal). The orchestra, conducted and arranged by Gil Evans is spread nicely. This is the best sounding version I have heard to date - an all time perennial fave - and for $9.99, a steal. Now the curious thing is that this never had a formal release and does not exist as title on Monster Music's site - but the package, disc, comprehensive liner note booklet indicate otherwise. Either way, I'm glad I got it - another strong release from Monster Music.

So, we have Sketches in DTS, discrete mix, and the only way to get is eBay? I checked Amazon and the Monster Music site, hoping to find some hidden link to this, but nothing. I will start going after this one.

I had posted about this back in November 2011 https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?13675-Miles-Davis-quot-Sketches-Of-Spain-quot-remixed-into-HD-Surround-by-Monster-Music&highlight=miles+davis

The discs were to be used as demo only at AES and as a premium giveaway for a special event at J&R Music World with purchase of Monster's special Miles Davis Headphones. I was hoping after the hooplah died down that the discs would be made available to the general public but that apparently never happened. Not sure where this Ebay seller acquired these discs but they are legitimate and sound great. I'm guessing that someone at Monster left a door open to the promo room by "accident" and a few boxes of the promos were liberated surreptitiously - but that is just a theory :phones

I try to avoid paypal usage if I can and this gent stated he couldn't accept anything but because he was currently on travel and had no address I could send payment to......he must however be traveling around carrying several copies of this disc. When I asked him how he managed to ship them out if he was traveling I got no reply! I'm sure the renewed interest on this thread has lessened his desire to deal with me.

Bought one of the copies. Will be interested in seeing how this compares with what I was able to do in the past. Elmer's review is pretty encouraging.

You may want to note that the seller has raised his price by $5, due to all the sales generated from here no doubt. I think he should make a donation to QQ!

No, it was $9.99 yesterday, now raised by $5 to $14.99 I emailed him about it, and the sales generated from here. His only response was that he only has a few left. His auction shows 7 available. So instead of being thankful hes been able to sell a bunch hes being greedy. Since the original artist or Monster gets no money from his sales I won't be buying and here's hoping this becomes available elsewhere....

Is 24/96 DTS stereo somehow better than 16/44.1 CD?

not really. when in surround it somewhat compensate loss of quality by widening soundfield,
in the compressed stereo there aren't any advantages.

No, it was $9.99 yesterday, now raised by $5 to $14.99 I emailed him about it, and the sales generated from here. His only response was that he only has a few left. His auction shows 7 available. So instead of being thankful hes been able to sell a bunch hes being greedy. Since the original artist or Monster gets no money from his sales I won't be buying and here's hoping this becomes available elsewhere....

I got it for $9.99 this afternoon, so this must have been VERY recent.

Monster already got enough of my money with the zillions of cables I've paid way too much from them for. Miles Davis is dead.

Back