Remembering Pacific Stereo

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our proprietary blank tape line, made by Tampax, er make that Ampex

I bought exactly one reel of that and used it for a one-of-a-kind live performance by a friend's band...it began the sticky-shed process almost immediately and I've been afraid to touch it since the 1980s!

I bought exactly one reel of that and used it for a one-of-a-kind live performance by a friend's band...it began the sticky-shed process almost immediately and I've been afraid to touch it since the 1980s!

I always thought that problem was limited to back-coated tapes.

By then, Memorex switched to a more conventional cassette jewel box.

Before we carried Memorex, a customer came in and said his TransAudio 5500 got a tape stuck in it. The tape was a Memorex and it was a DC problem (defective customer.) The guy didn't take the white reel hubs out, causing the tape to jam. :confused: So, we replaced it because we felt sorry for his stupidity.
View attachment 15794

The 5500 was a Pioneer OEM deck? Other than the recording level pot, it does look alike the SCT-40 i had back in the seventies.

Pioneer-SCT-40-02.jpg

The styling is similar, but I don't believe that Pioneer made the Transaudio 5500. Dick Schram from Parasound was our man who sourced our proprietary or "house brand" gear. Am I missing something or is the Pioneer sans tape counter? We sold their CTF-2121, which looked like your SCT-40, except it was silver. Although I sold oodles of those, I don't recall it being missing a tape counter.

I bought a new reel of backcoated Capitol 2 tape back in the day and the first time I rewound it the backcoating went flying off all over the place. Backcoating was just a bad idea. No need for it. Was more of a gimic (how do you spell gimic) than anything else. Maybe have helped with static electricity a little bit.

Last edited:
For several years, I recorded some bands which I managed. I preferred to use back coated reels, usually Maxell udxl. The tape pack winds better, there is less chance for print through and static electricity. Besides, since i was young and single, I had money to burn. I never used Pacific proprietary tape. :mad:@::mad:@::mad:@::mad:@:

For several years, I recorded some bands which I managed. I preferred to use back coated reels, usually Maxell udxl. The tape pack winds better, there is less chance for print through and static electricity. Besides, since i was young and single, I had money to burn. I never used Pacific proprietary tape. :mad:@::mad:@::mad:@::mad:@:

I've never had any problems with Maxell back coated tape, or the non-back coated. I've got LN, UD, UDXL, UDXLII (EE) and they're all good as new.

I wonder if I should sell the EE. Don't think I'll ever use it since none of my machines are setup for it. It does look pretty sitting there on the shelf.

Definitely an old thread, but I'd like to add my memories! I LOVED Pacific Stereo and frequented the Covina, CA store often. It was located on the corner of Citrus Ave and Shoppers Lane. At least the building is still there and brings back wonderful memories of one of the best stereo stores in the 70's. I remember hearing the original Bose 901 speakers at this location. They were properly set up and sounded great! As for my purchases, those that I fondly remember include the Marantz 2285 and a Pioneer RT-701 RR deck. Great equipment! Today's generation will never know the joy of our stereo stores and the fun a pure excitement of beautifully crafted components. OK, some were not so well-built, but fun to browse at anyway!

I used to go to the store on Beach Blvd. I still have the Led Zeppelin IV Magtec reel to reel tape I purchased there. I kept the receipt in the box for many years, but eventually threw it out. Too bad. Would have been a cute little collector item.

Definitely an old thread, but I'd like to add my memories! I LOVED Pacific Stereo and frequented the Covina, CA store often. It was located on the corner of Citrus Ave and Shoppers Lane. At least the building is still there and brings back wonderful memories of one of the best stereo stores in the 70's. I remember hearing the original Bose 901 speakers at this location. They were properly set up and sounded great! As for my purchases, those that I fondly remember include the Marantz 2285 and a Pioneer RT-701 RR deck. Great equipment! Today's generation will never know the joy of our stereo stores and the fun a pure excitement of beautifully crafted components. OK, some were not so well-built, but fun to browse at anyway!

Welcome to the forum:bounce

Today's generation will never know the joy of our stereo stores and the fun a pure excitement of beautifully crafted components. OK, some were not so well-built, but fun to browse at anyway!
I just recently replaced my entire system. An Onkyo surround receiver, an Oppo SACD player and a Samsung Blu ray player. Total cost of $450. Back in the 70s my ex wife worked at a camera and hifi store in town called Dexter's so I got my stereo stuff at cost and didn't have to pay the prices at Pacific Stereo, but I loved window shopping there. I had a Shure V15 type VI cartridge that had a list price of $450. Fortunately I only had to pay $275 wholesale. The younger generation should be glad they don't know the joy of stereo store prices.

$275 is still quite a bit. I bought a really expensive cartridge back in the day and broke the stylus the very first day, dropping it on a record.

$275 is still quite a bit.

No $275 is positively obscene. However back in the day I was working as a union electrician and I spared no expense on my stereo system. Today I am retired and spare no expense on dinner.;)

While driving through the Inland Empire a couple of days ago I saw a bogus Pacific Stereo right alongside the Riverside Freeway. I think it is probably a car stereo store.

Back