DVD/DTS Poll Davis, Miles - Sketches of Spain [DTS 96/24 DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Mile Davis - SKETCHES OF SPAIN

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Was this the software that Sony developed but doesn't distribute? I saw an article recently on some software that Sony helped develop (I believe fairly recently and I have forgotten who does the distribution and the name of the software) that essentially extracts individual instruments from a stereo track to make multis from it. Is this the software you are referring to? The video demo I saw of it was pretty impressive (for the record I'm a graphic artist--I don't use or know about this kinda stuff) but they generally make those things to show the software off. It seemed (being the operative word here) as if the software was doing a great job...but how would I know? Can you tell me anything about these tools and how well they work? It sounds like your view isn't all that positive of the particular software you're referring to.

I didn't do the tests personally, but I know someone who did. Took them days to try to isolate an instrument, and the results just didn't match the effort put into it.

We know what the issue with perfect extraction from stereo is. It's overlapping frequencies. How someone gets around that is something that, while I hope it gets figured out one day, I don't see how it's going to. This is why the focus is more on placement versus isolation with upmixing. I can't perfectly isolate the instrument for you, but I can do my best to make you experience it out of a certain place in the overall soundfield without audible artifacting when all five channels are going.

I haven't read about the Sony thing. Who knows?

Here's what I expected the package to look like. Has anybody seen one that looks like this:

View attachment 6142

I think you only get that if you buy the miles davis headphone set. They're expensive just check the ebay listings. Doesn't look like theres an extra cd, and I can't tell if there are extras like dolby headphone, alternate dts mixes, and digital files some of the other Monster discs have.
Which begs the question, what were the dvds we've been buying produced for? Nothing on my case says it is a promo. It looks like a regular for sale item to me.

The Miles Davis headphones with Sketches are $350.

Perhaps those in the DVD cases were for an event:
Just got this notification on my facebook page re: a special event sponsored by Monster Music and Magnolia HiFi (Best Buy) at the AES conference in San Fran. No word or details on a retail release but this sounds promising;

Old Quad Guy commented on this on Boardreader. He was contemplating attending this AES event.

I called a few local Magnolia locations to weeks ago, nobody knew a damn thing about it They just tried to sell the regular CD. From a 6/22/11 press release :
Notably, Monster today announced the upcoming debut of a special “higher definition” DVD release of Miles Davis’ seminal “Sketches of Spain” album, remixed in full 5.1 DTS surround sound, as well as in High Resolution PCM stereo on a single DVD disc. The “Sketches of Spain” DVD will be available beginning in August 2011 at Magnolia Home Theater stores across the country (SRP: $19.98).

I think you only get that if you buy the miles davis headphone set. They're expensive just check the ebay listings. Doesn't look like theres an extra cd, and I can't tell if there are extras like dolby headphone, alternate dts mixes, and digital files some of the other Monster discs have.
Which begs the question, what were the dvds we've been buying produced for? Nothing on my case says it is a promo. It looks like a regular for sale item to me.

I believe this was the original link for event. : http://www.milesdavis.com/us/news/experience-sketches-spain-hd-surround-sound-aes

EXPERIENCE SKETCHES OF SPAIN IN HD SURROUND SOUND AT AES

NOVEMBER 5, 2010, 4:54 pm
Monster®, a leading manufacturer of high-performance headphones and other advanced audio solutions, is teaming up with Magnolia Home Theater to "bring back the high-end audio experience" As part of the Monster and Magnolia effort to inspire consumers and to energize the CE community’s commitment for "the Great Audio Experience," there will be a panel and demo set-up at this years AES in San Francisco on Saturday, November 6, from 4-6PM in the Moscone Room #122. Be on hand to hear Miles' nephew Vince Wilburn and Dave Rideau discuss the experience of remixing the classic Miles album Sketches of Spain for surround sound, and then get to experience it for yourself in this first-ever preview!.

Here is a Google search for: magnolia audio

http://www.magnoliaav.com/
1717 Harrison Street San Francisco, CA 94103
(415) 575-1022

Has anyone seen or do you own this version?:

art_miles_rendering_v2_286_detail.jpg

Folks might want to call magnolia audio and ask if they have this. When they said "CD" originally, they most likely meant the version shown here. Missed the fact originally that the folks selling this dismissed the fact the CD might have come with a DVD.

(415) 575-1022

Has anyone seen or do you own this version?:

View attachment 6163

Anything's worth a try. I called four Magnolia locations in Chicago and EXPRESSLY said "DVD and Monster, NOT Columbia." They were utterly clueless. I specifically asked to talk to their Magnolia departments.

Folks might want to call magnolia audio and ask if they have this. When they said "CD" originally, they most likely meant the version shown here. Missed the fact originally that the folks selling this dismissed the fact the CD might have come with a DVD.

(415) 575-1022

FYI, Sketches of Spain SuperDisc seems to be now available from Monster Music for $25.

haha..!!

I was just saying to my mate last night how being an early adopter makes you a sucker!

Guess I'm an "All-Day Sucker".. got to have the latest thing, everytime, no matter what..!! :D

looks like these are still coming in DVD amaray cases!?

Monster mustn't have sold enough of their 5.1 headphones (a bit like a chocolate saddle on a bicycle, if you ask me!) so they're now flogging these off!

Looks like they are all gone at Monster Music.com. So if you didn't get one you are SOL.

For sale in DVD case:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miles-Davis-Sketches-Spain-Monster-High-Definition-Superdisc-5-1-DVD-/261149739862?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D4640412013941280870%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D251110636319%26

As for the sonics, I rather enjoy it, though they saved the best separation and impact for last. Making 3-track into 5.1 has to be very tricky and as we know, neither KIND OF BLUE or TIME OUT came out well on SACD. This one has superb sound and some exceptional separation, and is a must for any fan of Miles and the album (like me). Perhaps the most important thing is that they had the original 3-tracks to work with, and didn't just upmix from the stereo mixdown source. Regardless, an album still begging to find new acolytes, since it's probably still among the more underrated in the Miles catalog.

ED :)

Looks like they are all gone at Monster Music.com. So if you didn't get one you are SOL.

I ordered this from Moster a few days ago and just got a shipping confirmation. I'll let you all know if I get an empty box, but I'm optimistic.

For sale in DVD case:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miles-Davis-Sketches-Spain-Monster-High-Definition-Superdisc-5-1-DVD-/261149739862?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D4640412013941280870%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D251110636319%26

As for the sonics, I rather enjoy it, though they saved the best separation and impact for last. Making 3-track into 5.1 has to be very tricky and as we know, neither KIND OF BLUE or TIME OUT came out well on SACD. This one has superb sound and some exceptional separation, and is a must for any fan of Miles and the album (like me). Perhaps the most important thing is that they had the original 3-tracks to work with, and didn't just upmix from the stereo mixdown source. Regardless, an album still begging to find new acolytes, since it's probably still among the more underrated in the Miles catalog.

ED :)

agree this is a sweet release glad i found a copy sealed on the bay of the e

a keeper for sure

I ordered this from Moster a few days ago and just got a shipping confirmation. I'll let you all know if I get an empty box, but I'm optimistic.

I ordered it on Aug 17th and it arrived in a few days, apparently the got more stock(y)

Back