Steely Dan Surround (?)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjs2447

Besides Gaucho.

I need more information on why my second favorite album of all time (Aja) is not being released in surround (besides the fact that the multis have been stolen). In other words :) why haven't they at least released the other tracks, or put more effort into their search for the multis?

Secondly, what's this I hear about Pretzel Logic being released in surround? Has it? If so, what formats?

This then brings up the question, have other albums been released in surround?

A friend of mine
Downloaded AJA in a 5.1 format flac. I think
I can only play it on my OPPO
I don't know what has been done but it is
a very good surround effect
Ron

From Wiki:
When DTS attempted to make a 5.1 version, it was discovered that the multitrack masters for both "Black Cow" and the title track were missing. For this same reason, a multichannel SACD version was cancelled by Universal Music. Donald Fagen has offered a $600 reward for the missing masters or any information that leads to their recovery.

A friend of mine
Downloaded AJA in a 5.1 format flac. I think
I can only play it on my OPPO
I don't know what has been done but it is
a very good surround effect
Ron

I have A DTS CD up-mix which isn't bad either....

Yes, so I know about the later SD albums (Everything, Two Against), but I didn't know that Can't Buy A Thrill and Countdown were released.

In regards to the Aja Surround, I have heard the story mentioned in the first post about the multis being stolen, but what is the 5.1 flac, or DTS CD? Where can you get those?

EDIT:
Where could one get these Quad mixes, and what equipment would I need to play them?

$600 reward? Did Fagen have to mortgage his house for that? If either of my kids are kidnapped, I'll offer a dollar, three eighty.

Don't forget the Nightfly on DVD-A, SACD 5.1 and MVI DTS DVD.

I agree! that's direct copy from wikipedia. It seems a bit cheap! I'll bet we can come up with a hell of a lot more here. Donald should realize that money talks. And what ever happened to security? Locking doors? It never says stolen, just missing. What does that mean? What do they do with a valuble tape? Leave it out for the cleaning lady?
anything that is out there is a boot. People are doing thier own surround mixes now. There is one member who hates dan, the rest of us would run right out and get it if it was redone in HR.

The multi-tracks were still in their possession when they made the making of Aja movie. The movie shows them at a mixing console bringing up channels that didn't make it into the final mix or channels that highlighted what they were discussing. They go into a short discussion about what a black cow is and where they used to buy them. Shoot those multis are probably still cued up on that machine wherever they filmed that movie. Surprised they haven't thought of that yet and found them. I'll bet a dollar that's where they left them.

In the Making Of Aja Classic Albums documentary when they play Black Cow and Aja (the song) you'll notice they just play back the final mix, not isolated bits of the multitrack. The $600 thing came from the liner notes to the remastered Aja, and are a tongue-in-cheek joke - their liner notes are always slightly dismissive of the quality of their own music and putting a value of $300 (per song) on those two songs was sort of a joking way of showing how much they care about them.

The thing with multitracks is that back then no one ever expected they'd need to go back to them, often they were just left at the studio where they were recorded or where the final master mix was done. Often when these studios went out of business or were sold, the tapes were just dumped as they are quite large in size; a 2" master tape in it's box is somewhere in the neighbourhood of 3" x 12" x 12", and you would have at least one of these for a 24 track mix, or 2 for a 48 track mix, and so on. Just to give you an idea of how many tapes might be lying around, in an article I read, Jeff Porcaro related that they cut Gaucho (the song) almost 80 times, each on a new tape, before they got a rhythm track that they were happy with. So you can imagine after taking a year to record a whole album how much tape might be lying around the studio. There was a recent interview with one of the guys from Rush where they said they can't find the multitracks for a bunch of their albums because they left them at Trident studios in London when they'd finished doing the stereo mixes, and when Trident went out of business they (presumably) threw away all the tapes. This kind of thing is more common than any record label would admit.

I also recall someone saying (possibly on the Steve Hoffman board) that there was someone at MCA records sometime back that was selling multitrack tapes to Japanese collectors with deep pockets, and that Steely Dan wasn't the only band with missing multitrack tapes, but I don't know if this story has any truth to it.

I'm reminded of Lorne Michaels offering The Beatles something like $300 to regroup and play on SNL in the 1970s. "Think about it, talk it over, if you want to give Ringo a little less, that's up to you".

OT - I hope the multi tracks still exist somewhere out there.

I'm reminded of Lorne Michaels offering The Beatles something like $300 to regroup and play on SNL in the 1970s. "Think about it, talk it over, if you want to give Ringo a little less, that's up to you".

OT - I hope the multi tracks still exist somewhere out there.

I remember that! they kept it up for weeks, making public offers on SNL.

Absolutly has truth. I had a conversation in 1997 with Elliot Scheiner at the time they started looking for these tapes. He was doing mixes for DTS at the time. ABC had basically let the doors open and the Japanese who had all the dough in the 70s, bought lots of the ABC multis. They were in the process of putting adds in Billboard to see if they could get some to show up. This is the main reason you do not see hundreds of ABC titles on CD. You think they would have issued a ton of the Impulse material on CD, little exists in Stereo or multitrack.

In the Making Of Aja Classic Albums documentary when they play Black Cow and Aja (the song) you'll notice they just play back the final mix, not isolated bits of the multitrack. The $600 thing came from the liner notes to the remastered Aja, and are a tongue-in-cheek joke - their liner notes are always slightly dismissive of the quality of their own music and putting a value of $300 (per song) on those two songs was sort of a joking way of showing how much they care about them.

The thing with multitracks is that back then no one ever expected they'd need to go back to them, often they were just left at the studio where they were recorded or where the final master mix was done. Often when these studios went out of business or were sold, the tapes were just dumped as they are quite large in size; a 2" master tape in it's box is somewhere in the neighbourhood of 3" x 12" x 12", and you would have at least one of these for a 24 track mix, or 2 for a 48 track mix, and so on. Just to give you an idea of how many tapes might be lying around, in an article I read, Jeff Porcaro related that they cut Gaucho (the song) almost 80 times, each on a new tape, before they got a rhythm track that they were happy with. So you can imagine after taking a year to record a whole album how much tape might be lying around the studio. There was a recent interview with one of the guys from Rush where they said they can't find the multitracks for a bunch of their albums because they left them at Trident studios in London when they'd finished doing the stereo mixes, and when Trident went out of business they (presumably) threw away all the tapes. This kind of thing is more common than any record label would admit.

I also recall someone saying (possibly on the Steve Hoffman board) that there was someone at MCA records sometime back that was selling multitrack tapes to Japanese collectors with deep pockets, and that Steely Dan wasn't the only band with missing multitrack tapes, but I don't know if this story has any truth to it.

In the Making Of Aja Classic Albums documentary when they play Black Cow and Aja (the song) you'll notice they just play back the final mix, not isolated bits of the multitrack.

After reading this I had to check the video and sure enough, during these two songs, Fagen and Becker just sit back with arms crossed and just discuss the tune. No futzing with the channels or faders on those two songs. Guess that's one location we can cross off the to-be-searched list. No multitracks at that studio.

I remember that! they kept it up for weeks, making public offers on SNL.

I remember George showed up a couple weeks later to collect his share of what I remember as $2000. He wanted his $500.

I also remember reading an interview with John (I think the Playboy interview) that he and Paul were watching that show live in John's NY apartment and they came close to impulsively just showing up that night at he studio to collect. That would have been one of the greatest TV moments ever.

According to May Pang, John's girlfriend when he was estranged from Yoko, John and Paul WERE talking about a reunion. When Yoko reunited with John, Pang claims Yoko said "you don't need them." Pang made these remarks on a BBC special, which aired on A&E in the US. Upon reuniting with Yoko, John entered his house husband phase.

How do you sleep at night?

I remember George showed up a couple weeks later to collect his share of what I remember as $2000. He wanted his $500.

I also remember reading an interview with John (I think the Playboy interview) that he and Paul were watching that show live in John's NY apartment and they came close to impulsively just showing up that night at he studio to collect. That would have been one of the greatest TV moments ever.

Back