Steven Wilson Steven Wilson 2.0/5.1/Atmos mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh dear, :howl I don't even know where to begin...

Heresy? :mad:
Sacrilege? :mad:@:
Sheer Lunacy? :yikes
Brain Damage? :rolleyes:

I know you are one of the kindred spirits around here and have a proven legacy of refined musical taste.
I'll just assume during a recent trip to Rocky Top, you drank some really bad shine. Amazingly by sheer coincidence, Yes, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, and Gentle Giant are probably the 4 cornerstones of prog representing the different directions prog can go. SO... you pretty much bitch-slapped :mad:@: Progressive Rock in its entirety.(n)

To further my dissension, I will add that Gentle Giant - The Power & The Glory getting a 5.1 SW treatment is maybe the greatest thing for music since the Beatles dropped acid, and left their "Love Me Do" roots in the dust, enabling more creative music to be recorded and pressed into LP records!

And don't even get me started on how you dissed the single greatest band in the history of the known universe. Yep: YES.

For God's sake lad. Stop the madness before it destroys you! :cool:

Dennis, my friend, did you forget to take one of these today? :chill

I'm honestly surprised that you guys think I'm dissing Prog Rock simply because I said I'm more excited about the XTC releases.

I was a fan of ALL these Prog groups before Steven Wilson began remixing these albums and before I had even heard of XTC, let alone actually listening to their music. As a matter of fact, I probably wouldn't have ever listened to XTC's music had Steven Wilson not decided to pick up their catalogue for remixing, and now I don't even know how I wasn't a fan before now! Their music is fantastic!!

Oh and before any of you say that I should give up my prog card, think about this: The first surround releases I bought were by Porcupine Tree, Genesis, King Crimson, and the Moody Blues (plus "Dark Side of the Moon"). And I would've bought all the other Prog surround releases except they didn't exist yet!

Plus, I was in a Prog band called Torgo. You can listen to our album here: http://torgo.bandcamp.com

I hope I'm now prog enough for you all again! :phones

(Plus I'll change my avatar to something else once I have actually received and heard "The Yes Album" in surround, which I should be getting any day now…)

I'm honestly surprised that you guys think I'm dissing Prog Rock simply because I said I'm more excited about the XTC releases.

I was a fan of ALL these Prog groups before Steven Wilson began remixing these albums and before I had even heard of XTC, let alone actually listening to their music. As a matter of fact, I probably wouldn't have ever listened to XTC's music had Steven Wilson not decided to pick up their catalogue for remixing, and now I don't even know how I wasn't a fan before now! Their music is fantastic!!

Oh and before any of you say that I should give up my prog card, think about this: The first surround releases I bought were by Porcupine Tree, Genesis, King Crimson, and the Moody Blues (plus "Dark Side of the Moon"). And I would've bought all the other Prog surround releases except they didn't exist yet!

Plus, I was in a Prog band called Torgo. You can listen to our album here: http://torgo.bandcamp.com

(Plus I'll change my avatar to something else once I have actually received and heard "The Yes Album" in surround, which I should be getting any day now…)

Haha! :D Your Prog credentials are safe rt (y) DMJ's just feeling in a manly fond kinda mood today! at least we haven't been overrun by huge pics of big ol' Kraut Kastles (yet).

It's all in good fun, mate. No one is questioning your tastes/leanings/whatever. Just a bit of over-the-top over-reaction made famous by the creators of the whole Dennis Moore mythology. In keeping w/ the British theme of this thread, righto? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink...

PS- even more on topic, I got my TYA dvd-a today. Just one listen, but mighty impressed. Typical, IME, SW 5.1 mix: increased clarity/definiton; good, balanced use of the 3-D "sonicsphere;" 3 part harmonies shine; and some parts are either brought up (or added) that bring a new-ness while retaining the original's integrity. Very happy w/ the results so far, will have more to say after more auditions... (haven't even touched any of the extras yet)

It's all in good fun, mate. No one is questioning your tastes/leanings/whatever. Just a bit of over-the-top over-reaction made famous by the creators of the whole Dennis Moore mythology. In keeping w/ the British theme of this thread, righto? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink...

Oh I wasn't offended in any way, but I still had to defend my statement! :eek:

I'm just excited that Steven Wilson now has the opportunity to mix stuff that isn't Prog, cause so far, his Prog Remixes have begot more Prog Remixes, so hopefully other bands and record companies will realize the potential that non-prog rock/pop music can have in 5.1, similar to what happened in the middle of last decade when we got all these great surround mixes from artists like the Talking Heads, R.E.M., and Depeche Mode. I think the XTC albums have the potential to sound as good (or even better) than these other artists' catalogues in surround.

Now going back to the Prog realm, now that he's remixing Gentle Giant, what other 70s prog bands are left? Camel, VdGG, who else? There aren't many! lol :)

I used to think it was all prog-all the time. Then I was reborn when I found my FiveOne Jesus, SW. Now, I do not struggle with these questions. My faith in my FiveOne Jesus is unwavering. Seek and ye shall find :smokin

Ok, I'll drop the DennisMoore bit and reply in all honesty:

Yes, I did forget to take my meds yesterday, which explains some things but not your prog-treason. :yikes

Just because one has prog credentials doesn't mean they can't loose the faith. Kinda like a Priest getting carried away with an altar boy in the church rectory!

It just then hit me that in your post you were in fact listing the 4 cornerstone prog artists. Wow, we are lucky indeed to get all these timeless works of musical art in discrete 5.1.

So, no matter how much you are in love with your little boy band or whatever new pop toy you've found(I love Elton John & Art In America, so I understand what you are sayin...)... I do think it would be best if you were to qualify your original post. Allow me to provide a helpful hint:

Hi Lads, although I treasure all the current & upcoming classic prog remixes into 5.1, I am also happy to welcome the new XTC recording into 5.1 land.

Right! (y)

Sincerely,

DennisMoore

P.S. Thanks for the URL of your band! I will definitely check it out when I get home. :D

P.S. II. Oh, I think this was requested by Good Sir FredBlue

CastleFred.jpg

Ok, I'll drop the DennisMoore bit and reply in all honesty:

Yes, I did forget to take my meds yesterday, which explains some things but not your prog-treason. :yikes

Just because one has prog credentials doesn't mean they can't loose the faith. Kinda like a Priest getting carried away with an altar boy in the church rectory!

It just then hit me that in your post you were in fact listing the 4 cornerstone prog artists. Wow, we are lucky indeed to get all these timeless works of musical art in discrete 5.1.

So, no matter how much you are in love with your little boy band or whatever new pop toy you've found(I love Elton John & Art In America, so I understand what you are sayin...)... I do think it would be best if you were to qualify your original post. Allow me to provide a helpful hint:

Hi Lads, although I treasure all the current & upcoming classic prog remixes into 5.1, I am also happy to welcome the new XTC recording into 5.1 land.

Right! (y)

Sincerely,

DennisMoore

P.S. Thanks for the URL of your band! I will definitely check it out when I get home. :D

P.S. II. Oh, I think this was requested by Good Sir FredBlue

View attachment 13859

Little Boy Band...This is hilarious! Great way to start my day ;)

Little Boy Band...This is hilarious! Great way to start my day ;)

Yeah, based on your avatar, I'm sure you particularly enjoyed the defining of XTC as a "boy band"… (nice avatar BTW)

And Dennis, you made one mistake IMO when defining the 4 cornerstones of Prog Rock. What about GENESIS?

But regardless of that, I'm looking forward to ALL Steven Wilson remixes released this year, and I will purchase all of them and enjoy them for the 5.1 jewels that they are.

Last but not least, Dennis, have you actually heard "Nonsuch" in 5.1? If not, then I would listen to it before defining XTC in one way or another… ;)

I too wish SW could expand his repertoire but not sure he has much choice in the matter.
Bitched about before but will bitch again about the KC no shows of TOAPP and Beat.
Maybe I'm wrong but from what I've read, the tapes for Black Sea, English Settlement etc., aren't lost.
I thinking my TYA bd will show up today.
I'm on the West Coast so perhaps it takes bit longer to wend its way through the mighty USPS system.

And Dennis, you made one mistake IMO when defining the 4 cornerstones of Prog Rock. What about GENESIS?

But regardless of that, I'm looking forward to ALL Steven Wilson remixes released this year, and I will purchase all of them and enjoy them for the 5.1 jewels that they are.

Last but not least, Dennis, have you actually heard "Nonsuch" in 5.1? If not, then I would listen to it before defining XTC in one way or another… ;)

Ok, I just have one thing to say to you(but perhaps I have a few more?):

peace.jpg

yeah, I do have more...

You make an excellent point about Genesis, also... ELP deserves a cornerstone as well. And how bout Pink Floyd?
Since a rectangle only has 4 corners lemme work this out with a little more thought:

King Crimson - the more experimental, sometimes dissonant and full of odd time signatures end of prog

YES - the classical, melodic & virtuoso side of prog

Jethro Tull - The Canterbury or Folk end of prog

Gentle Giant - The completely original, no holds barred "we make crazy sounds & syncopation" but make it all sound brilliant end of prog

Just for fun, I might add that ELP(my 2nd fav prog band) could fall under the YES category and you mentioned Genesis, they could fall under the Tull or the YES category...hmm

What would you have for the 4 cornerstone bands?

Yes, I have heard XTC. Not my cup of tea. Like I said, I love Art In America, so I have nothing against XTC. I will say I think the entire decade of the 1980's should be tossed in the rubbish bin and deleted from all memory, save for guitarist Eric Johnson. Too many artists looking to get famous and record candy wrappers in blenders(yep: REM tried that..) Too many button pushers on drum machines and one key arpeggios on keyboards I would say this to any 1980's artist: What is wrong with practicing your instrument and actually learning how to compose music??? That seemed to be a huge issue with 80's bands.

I still don't get how you could be more excited over an XTC release than these classic prog release.

Dude, we just got THE YES ALBUM 5.1 Steven Wilson

And very soon we are getting:

The WHO - Quadrophenia
ELP - Brain Salad Surgery
Tull - A Passion Play
Gentle Giant - The Power & The Glory

Are you sure I can't get you to rethink this a little bit?

Silvio.jpg

P.S. I am just having fun with you m8. I am SO effin happy to get TYA in 5.1. It seems like we have reached critical mass or certainly a tipping point in 5.1. I look at my shelf full of recent 5.1 remixes and it is getting to be more than just fragments of band's recordings. Its starting to be a real collection!

As far as I am concerned, the TRIUMVIRATE of Prog Rock would be: Genesis, King Crimson, and Yes, imagined as an equilateral triangle (with Genesis being the top point). Too hard to pick a 4th cornerstone, but I will say that Pink Floyd are in a class of their own simply based on "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" alone.

I think in all honesty I'm equally excited about "Drums and Wires" and "A Passion Play" in 5.1 (Particularly now that I've seen the APP cover art, bringing it closer to reality!)
I would be a lot more excited about "Quadrophenia" had I not spent over $100 to get a box set with only half the album in 5.1, but at least I can pick up the stand-alone HFPA, so that is definitely good!
Same with "Brain Salad Surgery". Would be more excited about it, but I'm more excited about "Trilogy". THAT will be one release to look forward to!
As for Gentle Giant, they were never really high on my PROG list the same way the Triumvirate is, but it'll be cool to hear tracks like "So Sincere" in surround (my favorite off that album).

No matter what I will buy ALL the releases mentioned (and hopefully more!) :)

(I have not included "The Yes Album" in this discussion as it is now a PRESENT release, whereas the rest of these are in the FUTURE)

Dennis, I think we are from a similar era and age and of course everyone's listening habits and pleasures can be very different but very surprised that you would toss the whole 80's music in the trash can.
I like many of the bands from 80's and XTC would be one of them, very clever band and they took what Beatles gave us and gave us a few different twists and turns in their own pop music style.
Besides prog, did you not like Beatles,Velvet Underground,Beach Boys,Led Zep,Rolling Stones,Queen etc from same time period of the prog Giants.
To me in the 80's we had some similar great bands:XTC,Love and Rockets,Depeche Mode,U2,REM,Tears for Fears,Police,Heart,Talking Heads,Talk Talk,Inxs,Cars,Smiths,Lilac Time and one of my fav band from New Zealand-The Chills and I'm missing many other bands that were great from 80's.

peter

Dennis, I think we are from a similar era and age and of course everyone's listening habits and pleasures can be very different but very surprised that you would toss the whole 80's music in the trash can.
I like many of the bands from 80's and XTC would be one of them, very clever band and they took what Beatles gave us and gave us a few different twists and turns in their own pop music style.
Besides prog, did you not like Beatles,Velvet Underground,Beach Boys,Led Zep,Rolling Stones,Queen etc from same time period of the prog Giants.
To me in the 80's we had some similar great bands:XTC,Love and Rockets,Depeche Mode,U2,REM,Tears for Fears,Police,Heart,Talking Heads,Talk Talk,Inxs,Cars,Smiths,Lilac Time and one of my fav band from New Zealand-The Chills and I'm missing many other bands that were great from 80's.

peter

Hi Peter, :)

Excellent post and a very fair question. Here goes my attempt to answer:

Sometimes I try to really compress a subject down to a small nugget for brevity. My 80's rubbish bin comment was such a comment. I'll provide some detail:

I've been wired to enjoy music where there is a group collaboration and one can listen to many of a band's elements and have something to chew on, musically speaking. I love the WHO, not the Stones. I love Led Zep, not Black Sabbath. I love Elton John cause his whole band contributed. Heck, I love Three Dog Night for that reason.

The 80's came after many great bands split apart and the focus became set on one musician. For me, my worst nightmare. Your bands: Tears For Fears & Talking Heads(Yes, I saw the film Stop Making Sense twice...) those two are great examples, both have fine & talented singers playing elevator music as far as bass, drums & keys. The Police & U2, good examples of wonderful pop tunes with no repeated listening power. When did it become a crime to play a keyboard or guitar solo? Long Live Van Halen with David Lee Roth!!!

In addition as a wannabe musician, I worked in the 80's and I acquired expensive midi keyboards and saw how much power & technology came to keyboards and recording. What Wakeman & Emerson spent millions on was now within reach of the average band. So what did the 80's/Midi bring? The death of the keyboard player and hello to the most plain & boring keyboard parts in songs. What a contradiction. What a waste.

80's music was horribly over-processed. Gone were the brilliant subtleties of Eddie Offord and in came the annoyingly loud and over processed snare drum. When did a drum fill of tom tom drums become illegal? All the 80's bands you mentioned played basic drum machine music. Not being judgmental but that stuff gives me a headache, for real.

70's rock(Van Halen, RUSH...) and 70's prog(YES, ELP, etc..) perhaps took things too far into the realm of complexity and the average listener said "Enough"! That's too hard. I wanna rock like Brian Adams! And in came Punk Music. Well, all those bands you mentioned help push out the last generation of truly great modern music. Everything was reset to a very basic level and all the songs were terribly over-produced. I've done some writing & recording and I can't stand over-produced music. It seems so inorganic or un-natural to me. Even some prog I can't stand. For example anything Billy Sherwood has done. And I think Trevor Rabin is an "over-producer".

In addition when I learned to play guitar, I'd encounter another guitarist and we'd share/teach each other music. I'd teach someone a Steve Howe piece and he'd tech me Led Zeppelin "The Rain Song". A friend taught me RUSH songs and I fell in love with that band. Heck, I even learned Lynyrd Skynyrd tunes. There was some fine playing there.

None of the bands you mentioned had any songs that were interesting to play on the guitar or piano. So the music didn't hold my interest.

Dude, Heart was the mid-seventies. Good multifaceted band they were. (y)

Plus, these 80's bands established the new commercial sound making it impossible for YES or Renaissance or UK or Genesis to survive without compromising and putting out elevator music, which they did or simply died. :mad: :mad: :mad:

So that's my actual experience with 1980's music.

Last edited:
Hi Peter, :)

Excellent post and a very fair question. Here goes my attempt to answer:

Sometimes I try to really compress a subject down to a small nugget for brevity. My 80's rubbish bin comment was such a comment. I'll provide some detail:

I've been wired to enjoy music where there is a group collaboration and one can list to many of a band's elements and
have something to chew on, musically speaking. I love the WHO, not the Stones. I love Led Zep, not Black Sabbath.
I love Elton John cause his whole band contributed. Heck, I love Three Dog Night for that reason.

The 80's came after many great bands split apart and the focus became set on one musician. For me, my worst nightmare. Your bands: Tears For Fears & Talking Heads(Yes, I saw the film Stop Making Sense twice...) those two are great examples, both have fine & talented singers playing elevator music as far as bass, drums & keys. The Police & U2, good examples of wonderful pop tunes with no repeated listening power. When did it become a crime to play a keyboard or guitar solo? Long Live Van Halen with David Lee Roth!!!

In addition as a wannabe musician, I worked in the 80's and I acquired expensive midi keyboards and saw how much power & technology came to keyboards and recording. What Wakeman & Emerson spent millions on was now within reach of the average band. So what did the 80's/Midi bring? The death of the keyboard player and hello to the most plain & boring keyboard parts in songs. What a contradiction. What a waste.

80's music was horribly over-processed. Gone were the brilliant subtleties of Eddie Offord and in came the annoyingly loud and over processed snare drum. When did a drum fill of tom tom drums become illegal? All the 80's bands you mentioned played basic drum machine music. Not being judgmental but that stuff gives me a headache, for real.

70's rock(Van Halen, RUSH...) and 70's prog(YES, ELP, etc..) perhaps took things too far into the realm of complexity and the average listener said "Enough"! That's too hard. I wanna rock like Brian Adams! And in came Punk Music. Well, all those bands you mentioned help push out the last generation of truly great modern music. Everything was reset to a very basic level and all the songs were terribly over-produced. I've done some writing & recording and I can't stand over-produced music. It seems so inorganic or un-natural to me. Even some prog I can't stand. For example anything Billy Sherwood has done. And I think Trevor Rabin is an "over-producer".

In addition when I learned to play guitar, I'd encounter another guitarist and we'd share/teach each other music. I'd teach someone a Steve Howe piece and he'd tech me Led Zeppelin "The Rain Song". A friend taught me RUSH songs and I fell in love with that band. Heck, I even learned Lynyrd Skynyrd tunes. There was some fine playing there.

None of the bands you mentioned had any songs that were interesting to play on the guitar or piano. So the music didn't hold my interest.

Dude, Heart was the mid-seventies. Good multifaceted band they were. (y)

Plus, these 80's bands established the new commercial sound making it impossible for YES or Renaissance or UK or Genesis to survive without compromising and putting out elevator music, which they did or simply died. :mad: :mad: :mad:

So that's my actual experience with 1980's music.

Good answer. I'm having a Friday evening chill out with a glass or 3 of wine and Honky Chateau on. 'I thank the Lord for the people I have found'. Indeed!

I have a massive problem myself with 80's music, the songs and especially the sounds. Its not real music to me. Even some bands that I love turned too 80's in the 80's - for example Tull, Heart, Rush, Genesis, to some extent Yes. I find it strange that for a lot of these bands their 70's stuff doesn't sound dated, but their 80's stuff does!

I do love Talking Heads though. Do you like King Crimson's Discipline period?

I think in all honesty I'm equally excited about "Drums and Wires" and "A Passion Play" in 5.1 (Particularly now that I've seen the APP cover art, bringing it closer to reality!)

Much better. (y) :) :cool:

That wasn't so hard now, was it??? :yikes :smokin

I truly am sorry for you guys who bought the director's edition of Quadrophenia. I recall it was well over 100 bucks and it only has one THIRD of the LP in 5.1. That is wrong by Pete Townshend and he needs to make that right. I just said "No" to Pete when he wanted $150 a ticket to see The Who in 1998 and all future Who shows. I saw Quadrophenia twice in 1996($48.00 ticket) and I was in heaven.

I can not wait to get Quadrophenia(full record) in 5.1. I will play it for a week! I'd suggest you put your Director's edition on Ebay immediately and maybe you can catch some old Who fan who likes boxes & napkins. Cause you must buy the BluRay when it comes out!

Yes, we have Brain Salad Surgery in 5.1 but we need that to get to Trilogy and I am actually really excited to get the new 2.0 mix DIRECT from the original multi-tracks, which would be virtually hiss free and better sounding than any other prior BSS 2.0 mix. Remixing from the 1st gen multi-track brings a huge benefit that has nothing to do with surround. For the first time ever, we get to enjoy music from the 1st gen source tape! This is a precious gift of the highest order. I hope every new 5.1 remix gives us a new 2.0 mix direct from the multi-track.

Don't even get me started on Power And The Glory. I think you are remiss to down play your excitement on that. That is going to be a signature 5.1 mix I predict. I can't wait! I think this is the best year for 5.1 that we have had so far!

PG.jpg

Back