Steven Wilson Steven Wilson 2.0/5.1/Atmos mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And, I had no idea Talking Heads had been released already. If it isn't progressive music or Elton John or The WHO, I'm pretty much no good around here. :(

Cheers!

DennisMoore

I cannot say enough about how good those Talking Heads 5.1 mixes are! Especially "Fear of Music", "Remain in Light", and "Speaking in Tongues"
Although since you have already described them as "elevator music", I doubt you would really be intrigued to go and check them out.
But then I might not have bought their albums were they not mixed in 5.1, and now it's one of the 5.1 catalogues I treasure the most!
So give them a chance, man! :smoking

And I'm through guessing what the next SW Yes mix will be, but I think it will either be "Going for the One" or "Tales from Topographic Oceans", and it will be released Sept/Oct 2014.

could've sworn that I read somewhere that the next SW yes MCH mix was gonna be GFTO...

Ola Amigo, :) A well connected Quad member has said that SW has been contracted so far, to do 1970-1974 YES. This is a rather recent update. So probably no GFTO until further down the road. The photo above was from the GFTO 1977 tour btw... Best concert of my life. (y)

I cannot say enough about how good those Talking Heads 5.1 mixes are! Especially "Fear of Music", "Remain in Light", and "Speaking in Tongues" Although since you have already described them as "elevator music", ....

And I'm through guessing what the next SW Yes mix will be, but I think it will either be "Going for the One" or "Tales from Topographic Oceans", and it will be released Sept/Oct 2014.

I can take a surprising amount of derision but I really must insist I am not mis-qouted.

never-said-that.jpeg

I referred to most 80's music as elevator music. I had no specific comments about Talking heads. And now that the good Doctor P. & I are on good terms I will keep any colorful musings about TH to the quiet side of my little pie-hole.

M8, I was living in LA during the TH era, I know their music well. Like I said, I saw the movie Stop Making Sense twice(yep, I did it to chase around some stupid little tart...), my room mate had all the TH records.. blah, blah,blah... I've got nothing against TH, just not my cup of tea.

Quite the contrary my friend. I've spend over 30 years trying to erase those refrains from my memory. Thanks to you jokers, I had "Burning Down The House" looping in my brain all weekend. :mad:@:

About YES: we do have the new update that SW is only doing 1970-1974 YES for now. And I picked September already so you need to provide some "different" mindless speculation & ravings like I have done.

If-You-Know-What-I-Mean.jpg

I can take a surprising amount of derision but I really must insist I am not mis-qouted.

View attachment 13909

I referred to most 80's music as elevator music. I had no specific comments about Talking heads.

Yes you did...

Hi Peter, :)

Excellent post and a very fair question. Here goes my attempt to answer:

For me, my worst nightmare. Your bands: Tears For Fears & Talking Heads(Yes, I saw the film Stop Making Sense twice...) those two are great examples, both have fine & talented singers playing elevator music as far as bass, drums & keys.

Ola Amigo, :) A well connected Quad member has said that SW has been contracted so far, to do 1970-1974 YES. This is a rather recent update. So probably no GFTO until further down the road. The photo above was from the GFTO 1977 tour btw... Best concert of my life. (y)

¡Gracias Dennis!
Well, Relayer is in there , iddn't it? I really hope he does GFTO though..
And yeah, you bas&&%rd!!!! RUB IT IN!!! (I'm secretly very happy for you..I myself saw them on FIRST row, in front of Jon in the 2003 tour -the Live at Montreux DVD was shot a couple of days after it, and yes, it was one of the best concerts ever!)

I cannot say enough about how good those Talking Heads 5.1 mixes are! Especially "Fear of Music", "Remain in Light", and "Speaking in Tongues"
Although since you have already described them as "elevator music", I doubt you would really be intrigued to go and check them out.
But then I might not have bought their albums were they not mixed in 5.1, and now it's one of the 5.1 catalogues I treasure the most!

The Talking Heads discs are really very good!

But then I might not have bought their albums were they not mixed in 5.1
Isn't that the truth. By the 80's (yeah I'm old but what the heck) I had pretty much lost interest and wasn't buying very much music at all. The past 10 years or so has been a rebirth for me. Seems now like I'm always looking forward to a new release.

This post is basically things we already know but consolidated into an official update by Steven himself:

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/cover-version-tim-bowness-no-man-and-classic-remixes/

Finally, the series of classic album remixes continues with the release on 30th June of a 40th anniversary edition of Jethro Tull’s “A Passion Play” as a 4 disc set, with my new stereo and 5.1 mixes of both the original 1973 album and the aborted Chateau D’Isaster album from the previous year, the latter mixed for the first time in complete 60 minute form and without the overdubs added during later years. The set comes packaged with an 80 page booklet.

There will be several other classic album remixes released between now and the end of the year. Those already announced are Gentle Giant “The Power and the Glory” – (mid July release, available to pre-order now), XTC “Drums and Wires”, King Crimson “Beat”, and the third in the series of Yes remixes (these 3 all expected in September/October).

Now it hasn't been officially announced yet what that 3rd Yes remix is but I have a feeling Steven will take us through uncharted waters with this next mix (if you know what I mean…) ;)

Now it hasn't been officially announced yet what that 3rd Yes remix is but I have a feeling Steven will take us through uncharted waters with this next mix (if you know what I mean…) ;)

Lets hope so, it has to be, doesn't it. Are you hoping that this is officially announced before A Passion Play is released, so that you can change your Avatar then to something with a star filled sky and stones on?!

Lets hope so, it has to be, doesn't it. Are you hoping that this is officially announced before A Passion Play is released, so that you can change your Avatar then to something with a star filled sky and stones on?!

Well either that or I am going to change my avatar to this

96.jpg

(mostly to piss off Dennis Moore…) ;)

What about SW's 5.1 remix of the Roxy Music album...? I wonder if the legal/admin side of that is sorted too, now Universal owns EMI/Virgin?

If it indeed has been remixed, then I think either it will come out as a standalone release (or maybe part of a larger Roxy Music catalogue initiative), or it has been permanently shelved, and at this point, I honestly don't know which of the two alternatives it really is.
I'm certainly not holding my breath for it, that's for sure, so instead I'm looking forward to more Jethro Tull, XTC, Yes, Gentle Giant, and King Crimson remixes, along with anything else that has yet to be announced. :)

I will predict that we will get the next YES SW mix around the first week in September. (y)

I love to quote myself. :) Its such a rush! :yikes

Thanks for the update RT: (y) :D

More YES 5.1 in Sept/October. What a wonderful surprise that we don't need to wait until Christmas season... :banana:

@Colsky my m8: I love to act like an idiot with and in front of you but I must be dead serious for once:

Why do you think Tales must be next??? Aside from me and 35 others who worship the album it is such a "niche" CD, there is little commercial oomph behind a release into 5.1.

I still don't dare to expect Tales in 5.1. The let down if it doesn't happen would be too much to bear. But Tales would be one of the ultimate recordings by any band to get spread out in glorious 5.1. High The Memory, indeed. :)

@PK: I saw your XTC mention in the other thread. You will not fool me twice and make me post a bad comment about them. ;) I'll make no such degrading remark about XTC or their pre-pubescent fan base or that same fan base's collection of Wham VHS tapes and colored wigs and pantone colored lipstick collection. No sir. Not today. :smack: I promised FredricoAzul I'd have no further part in that Talkin Heads/XTC rigamarole.

OOH DENNIS YOU MADE A PINKY PROMISE TO LEAVE TALKING HEADS ALONE, YOU CHEEKY BIYATCH!!! :p

(ps. England just scored an equaliser.. I'm tanked up and happy, you can say what you like now!)

:wave

Back