What's the LATEST Book You've Read? MUSIC-RELATED ONLY!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Special Collectors' Edition: Bob Dylan Rolling Stone
51F0mYmztkL.jpg

I too am enjoying Keith Richards - LIFE memoirs; I now give him much more credit for their success than I ever did before. Even living an outlandish life, he had a code and sense about him as to his surroundings and events. Hate for it to end, just passed the Some Girls 1978 portion...

I just finished this audiobook and I agree with your assessment. Very long but very insightful. Lots of details about his extensive drug use, maybe more than I needed to know.

Hey, they oughta do audiobooks in 5.1 (or at least 4.0)! Different voices coming from every angle!

Currently, the Jim Croce book written by his wife.
Before that, was Jimmy Page book.
The local library seems to have quite a few music related books, great source for books.

vinylguy4

Not read yet as it just arrived and I've not yet finished the book in progress (Bruce Campbell - If Chins Could Kill) but I'm looking fwd to delving into

Read & Burn - A Book About Wire

A friend in the publishing business gifted me a TON of books about music. I guess I need to learn how to read. :mad:@:

Alan Lomax - The Man Who Recorded the World - John Szwed
alanlomaxmanrecworld.jpg
Way cool! I'll read this one first.

Keith Richards - A Rock & Roll Life
www.whitestar.it--9788854406452-31.jpg

Beatles vs. Stones - John McMillan
9781611739244.jpg

Louder Than Hell - Definitive Oral History of Metal - Jon Wiederhorn & Kathleen Turman
louderthanhellbookcover.jpg

Eddie Trunk's Essential Hard Rock and Heavy Metal Volume II
51mLUOKOwTL.jpg

Hillbilly Heart - Billy Ray Cyrus
Billy-Ray-Cyrus-Hillbilly-Heart.jpg
I sure hope there's no TWERKING in it!!

More books courtesy of Santa (who works for a publisher):

Dirty Rocker Boys (Love and Lust on the Sunset Strip) - Bobbie Brown w/Caroline Ryder
leo16f-1-web.jpg
Cherry Pie, anyone?

When I Left Home - Buddy Guy w/David Ritz
51SGfRYHgpL._SS500_.jpg

Roger Waters - The Man Behind the Wall - Dave Thompson
roger_waters_the_man_behind_the_wall.jpg

Bee Gees - The Biography - David Meyer
13587138.jpg

Sex Drugs Ratt & Roll - My Life in Rock - Stephen Pearcy w/Sam Benjamin
p17j856s4v18d51nr087pp3nk9o4.jpg

I just read most of Graham Nash's "Wild Tales." I bailed about 3/4 of the way through, he was getting too preachy with all the activism, but the early parts were fun and interesting, especially the CSNY stuff.

nash.jpg

Currently reading the Neil Young bio "Shakey." I read Neil's auto-bio "Waging Heavy Peace" earlier this year. I'm interested to find out how they may differ.

shakey.jpg

ny.jpg

I'm also currently reading Al Jourgensen's bio, "Ministry, the Lost Gospels According To Al Jourgensen." The text is even crazier than the cover!

al.jpg

Not sure if it counts, because it is a color picture book (I feel like W now) with lyrics.

Pink Floyd The Wall (a uk picture book with scenes from the movie and lyrics to The Wall)

Testimony by Robbie Robertson

test.jpg

Half Indigenous Indian/half jewish kid from Toronto hooks up at age 16 with wild man Ronnie Hawkins and along the way meets and plays with a venerable who's who of rock starting in 1957 - becomes the guitar player in Dylan's back up band when he decides to go electric and then becomes the primary songwriter of the Band. All the players are there - Hendrix, The Beatles, Stones, The Byrds, Sonny Boy Williamson, Al Kooper, Muddy Waters, Van Morrison, Elton John, Roy Buchanan, Carly Simon the list goes on. A great story teller - I'm sure there are conflicting versions regarding some of the more salient elements of interpersonal relationships, but as a document of the crossroads between rock, country, jazz, folk, art, cinema, poetry, drugs, societal issues, etc etc etc - its hard to beat. A very informing and enjoyable read.

Last edited:
I didn't know about this thread until I clicked on Humprof's Trilogy post #1810 in Re: What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2. I looked through the postings and did not see either of these 2 books listed, so...

1) Shell Shocked, My Life with the Turtles, Flo & Eddie, and Frank Zappa, etc... by Howard Kaylen (with Jeff Amarkin). This is an auto-biography that is both informative and funny with many show biz memoirs. One tidbit I never realized was that when Howie and Mark Volman were with Zappa, Howie was the Phlorescent Leech and Mark was Eddie. When the time came to release the first Flo & Eddie album, the cover photo was printed in reverse. From that time on Mark was Flo and Howie was Eddie.

2) Weird Scenes Inside The Canyon by David McGowan. The dark side of the occupants of Laurel Canyon. Many famous rockers and bands lived there in the 60's and 70's. Many were from military families (Zappa, Jim Morrison among others). Many never got drafted even though it was the height of the Viet Nam War and all were of draft age (hmmm...). Tales of music and mayhem. One favorite tidbit (I like that word) was that Gail Zappa and Jim Morrison attended a Naval Kindergarten class together and it is claimed she once hit him over the head with a hammer. The book is an extension of an on-line series that you can read here http://centerforaninformedamerica.com/laurelcanyon/ The series and the book are amazing IMHO.

A friend in the publishing business gifted me several books about music, the Bambino and chick stuff. Here are the muzic books:

Just a Shot Away (Rolling Stones at Altamont) - Saul Austerlitz

Thanks A Lot Mr Kibblewhite (My Story) - Roger Daltrey

The Beatles in Comics

Slowhand - Philip Norman

Joni on Joni (Interviews & Encounters with Joni Mitchell) Susan Whithall (ed.)

Rock and Roll Woman (50 Fiercest Female Rockers) - Meredith Ochs

Led Zeppelin: All the Songs (The Story Behind Every Track) - Jean-Michel Guesdon & Phillippe Margotin

It was time to resurrect this thread.

I read the Daltrey one. I thought it was a good read. Nothing hugely revealing, though I did find his take on the evolution to he & Pete's current relationship pretty interesting.

Back