What's the LATEST Book You've Read? MUSIC-RELATED ONLY!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
What's the latest MUSIC RELATED book you've read? Here's mine, which is a compilation of interviews and album reviews printed in Down Beat:

music_phases8.jpg

al kooper.jpg

The great adventures of one of the most underrated musician's in rock - told with great humor and perception - a Rock n Roll Zelig! Why he isn't in the RRHOF is a mystery.

I couldn't agree more! I've been meaning to get this. For years, I've said that the most underrated rock artists are Al Kooper, Laura Nyro & Bill Champlin. Even in the early '70's, when I'd mention Al Kooper, people would ask, "you mean Alice Cooper?" :howl

I met Al a few years ago, a thrill!!

"Uh, Al, is we on the downbeat?"

View attachment 6177

The great adventures of one of the most underrated musician's in rock - told with great humor and perception - a Rock n Roll Zelig! Why he isn't in the RRHOF is a mystery.

I too am enjoying Keith Richards - LIFE memoirs; I now give him much more credit for their success than I ever did before. Even living an outlandish life, he had a code and sense about him as to his surroundings and events. Hate for it to end, just passed the Some Girls 1978 portion...

Just about to start reading Gregg Allmans autobiography, just dont seem to have found the time though i have had it for a couple of months.
I also saw Neil Youngs Autobiography is availabel to pre order so went ahead and pre ordered that as well.

Saucer Full of Secrets by Nicholas Schafner
JapRock by Julian Cope
Elevator Music by Joseph Lanza
currently skimming thru Jazz Rock A History by Stuart Nicholson
Somewhere in the stacks is a hardback photo book aboout Tom Petty and a Dylan scrapbook. The above titles look interesting to me also.

Wow, it took me 8 years to get to the 800 club. Have I been on this forum that long?
It only took Quad Linda 8 days to get there.....
Hey Jon, where are our coffee cups? :)

Clapton was good. I also enjoyed "Heaven and Hell" by Don Felder.

Attachments

• eric_clapton_autobiography_book.jpg
    eric_clapton_autobiography_book.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 156
  • heavenHell.jpg
    heavenHell.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 156
Other recent and recommended reads;

"Fire And Rain - The Beatles/Simon & Garfunkel/James Taylor/CSNY and the Lost Story of 1970" Rolling Stone journalist David Browne threads together some very interesting connections, both personal and professional, between these artists & others during a watershed year for music. A compelling read.
fire and rain.jpg
"Me, The Mob And The Music - A Helluva Ride with Tommy James and the Shondells" A great look into the career of Tommy James and his sometimes funny but mostly terrifying relationship with his label (Roulette) owner, Morris Levy - a notorious East Coast mobster who also ran the Strawberry's chain and was the inspiration for the character "Hesh" on The Sopranos - you can't make up stuff like this - it would make a great movie (or cable series).
me the mob.JPG

Actually, it took Quad Linda 55 years of collecting and over 20 years in the business to lay the groundwork to rack up those points. Another damn overnight success!!

I already have cups. I want a platinum record award.

Wow, it took me 8 years to get to the 800 club. Have I been on this forum that long?
It only took Quad Linda 8 days to get there.....
Hey Jon, where are our coffee cups? :)

A couple of information filled books:

Bootleg: All about the start of the bootleg industry and who the players were and how the business has changed
Elektra: all about Jac Holzman and how he went from a folk/classical indie to a powerhouse. Lots of great pics of the Elektra Library

Attachments

• bootleg-the-secret-history-of-the-other-recording_1.jpg
    bootleg-the-secret-history-of-the-other-recording_1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 137
  • 41air7kK47L._SS500_.jpg
    41air7kK47L._SS500_.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 128
Here is one more...
Awesome stories about albums that were recorded, presented to the labels and ultimately shelved.

Attachments

• HL_00331770.jpg
    HL_00331770.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 129
Back