Mix your own Tubular Bells !

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys,
Sorry if this has been posted already,
Universal are running a competition to mix youe own Tubular Bells from the Original Master.
The files are at http://www.indabamusic.com/opportun...m=social&awesm=awe.sm_c1980&utm_source=client
and there are loads of mixes up already!

Downloading now - if I'm reading it right it's 16 stems in a 1.52GB zip file. Awesome find. No idea what I'm going to do with them - would they accept a quad mix? Any idea what quality they are?

Update - downloaded and they are as follows...

tbmt2496.jpg

unbelievable.. Universal can make 24/96 wav files (direct from the multitracks?) available for download for FREE, in the name of a competition.. yet they release a so-called "Deluxe Edition" and have the brass neck to charge for a lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 mix..!? :mad:

Last edited:
This is SO cool. Believe it or don't, I've never heard Tubular Bells! I've tried bidding on the Q8 a few times, but have always gotten outbid. Curious to see what I come up with. I've worked with 16-track multi's before and find them to be the best or at the very least - least tedious at mixing into Quad. 8-track multi's offer too little (but enough) and 24-track has way too much going. This will also get added to my collection of multitracks. :) I really wonder if they'd let me post a Quad mix?

Whoa, now..... is it me, or do these multi's seem a little messed up?? Granted numerous tracks change instruments the way through but lots of incidental overdubs seem to have tape wind-up noise. Track 5, around 9m15s has a cymbal crash that you can actually hear the tape speed up just as the cymbal crash occurs. Is stuff like this part of the song or do these tracks need to be "edited for content"?

This is going to be tough!! There's no real rhythm track to create a base. This reminds me of the 24-track of Bohemian Rhapsody.....

This is cool. One does have to sign up to get files. The download is 1.52 Gig zipped and when unzipped is about 3.84 Gig.

Just give each of the tracks a listen and pan them to one or another channel discrete. From there play around and put the music as you prefer into the sound field. There are many tracks with long periods of silence. Then different sounds or music come in, so it is like a jig-saw puzzle. You can also duplicate a track in order to put the same sound in different speaker. Sometimes one can have an unaltered sound in one channel and the same sound with say echo or reverb in another channel. Many ways to play with this.

It also helps to listen to original stereo and other surround mixes to hear what is there.

Downloaded, haven't started on it yet. I suspect duplicating tracks will help where tracks have been multi-purposed + mute envelopes if noise factor present.

I've been a member of this site for a while now and I must say this is the highest profile / stems quality they've ever offered.

68% downloaded here, and am going to ask if a 5.1 mix is acceptable also.

fredblue said:
unbelievable.. Universal can make 24/96 wav files (direct from the multitracks?) available for download for FREE, in the name of a competition.. yet they release a so-called "Deluxe Edition" and have the brass neck to charge for a lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 mix..!? :mad:

Could not agree with you more! I bought the first 3 "Special Editions" and was appalled to find just Dolby Digital, with large amounts of bits wasted on the stupid looping video.....
I've said it before, and will say it again (and probably again & again) that DD has no place on a music title.

The artist (Mike Oldfield) is the driver here with the promo contest and the label is merely incidental.

Oldfield was also heavily involved in Universal's Deluxe Edition/reissue campaign, yet we still got awful Dolby Digital (of rather nice 5.1 mixes) on every single flaming one of them..!

I just cannot fathom how f'ckd up it all is.. Universal make us pay for crap quality, these people (Oldfield, whoever they are) give it away - and in tip-top quality!

TUBULAR BALLS TO PICASSO, I say..!!!

Just recreate the mix from the Deluxe Edition from these multis, and there you go - now available in hi-res ;-)
Not possible.
The multis are only the first 16 minutes.
Neil, let us know if a 5.1 mix is allowed. Have some wild ideas about it...

I think having go with entering with 4.0 and 5.1 is worth a try. Even if they don't accept I'd love to hear them (as I'm sure most here would a well!).
Must admit I was a little disapointed to not to get to the anouncement section, but there you go.
Out of interest, what will anybody be using to mix?

I use Adobe Audition (any version up to 3.0) for now.

Have not bothered with the fine print yet, how do they want the mix uploaded to them. The output mix as 4 or more .wavs? Was considering a 5.0 mix for the contest.

Not sure I can do it in time, but could throw something together though.

16 messages and no one realizes that this is an ongoing thing for this site? You can get the stems for the ENTIRE Bon Iver album here.

Yeah, they've been sending me the emails about that. Something about a new Barry Manilow track and that Bon Iver guy. Not interested in "new" Barry Manilow and I have no idea who Bon Iver is. I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled in hopes that they post something really cool..... like an entire classic album.

Yeah, they've been sending me the emails about that. Something about a new Barry Manilow track and that Bon Iver guy. Not interested in "new" Barry Manilow and I have no idea who Bon Iver is. I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled in hopes that they post something really cool..... like an entire classic album.

The entire Bon Iver album is up. Definitely falls under the header of "really cool" to me and better than some crusty classic rock album. Really stoked about being able to work with the stems there. Beautifully layered album. Grabbed them all. It'll be a while before I give a good listen. This may be worth trying to learn ProTools for.

Not possible.
The multis are only the first 16 minutes.
Neil, let us know if a 5.1 mix is allowed. Have some wild ideas about it...

Yes, it is allowed.
There was a recommendation to upload stereo because "the judge may not have the right speakers to play a surround mix" (sheesh)

Back