Unknown ABC/Dunhill quad mixes?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would, indeed, be a shame if those master tapes were somehow destroyed or lost. ABC did have some great artists on their family of labels, and it wouldn't surprise me if there were tapes made with QS for experimental purposes. But it might also be that MCA, when they purchased ABC Records, destroyed those tapes as being worthless or unnecessary. MCA never did embrace any quad format back in the 70's, but did release some ABC recordings on SACD and DVD-A in the 00's. But I do have to wonder what did happen to the tapes of, say, The Mamas & The Papas' Greatest Hits. I'd have been on that one in a heartbeat!

Here's the quad 45. Before anyone asks, the B side is the same song, but in mono!

Attachments

• HJF&R1031.jpg
    HJF&R1031.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 216
This was done for radio stations at the time. ABC was thinking forward, but it's too bad they didn't keep it up. Ovation Records also did some QS 45's, and Columbia had some promotional SQ singles as well.

Very cool find! Even impressing the long timers! :)

Hey, if someone else finds something I haven't come across yeah, I'm impressed! :sun

And that Lp probably isn't worth much money on the collectors market, despite its being (at the least) uncommon (as many promos are).

ED :)

Zabble, thanks for posting that label! I've never, ever seen an ABC Quad single. They can't have issued very many of those.

The only 7" ABC Quads I've ever seen, in fact, were the jukebox Little Lp EPs, of which I have a short handful. But those were all tracks culled from the released Lps.

I will transfer these tracks from vinyl and post the results :)

Which ones?

Last one I got was the Dobie Gray 4-disc collection, and it's remastered...

Zabble, thanks for posting that label! I've never, ever seen an ABC Quad single. They can't have issued very many of those.

The only 7" ABC Quads I've ever seen, in fact, were the jukebox Little Lp EPs, of which I have a short handful. But those were all tracks culled from the released Lps.

I will transfer these tracks from vinyl and post the results :)

It's very possible that this 45 never got past the promotional release stage. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has a non-promo version.

Another thing to note was Sansui's QS Matrix system was the best Quad option for broadcast use. It had good Quad performance and was Stereo compatible without the phasing and Stereo compatibility issues of SQ (which killed SQ 45 singles for radio use). And QS usually folded to mono just fine.

The other thing is that Sansui didn't charge a licensing fee to use the QS system, but they did to use the QS logo on the album. I hear that's why ABC went QS, and why they never identified the records as done in QS. Probably only those of us who were actually following these releases back then would have known.

I recently came upon an ABC/Dunhill promo sampler issued to radio as a "Christmas Gift" in December of 1971. Two songs on each side are marked with an asterisk, and at the bottom, a note explains that those songs are "Sansui Encoded".

One of these songs is "Daisy Mae," a cut from Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds' debut Lp.
The other is Tommy Roe's version of "Stagger Lee", which was on the 1971 album "Beginnings" as well as the "16 Greatest Hits" comp.

Has anyone ever heard about either of these artists having a shelved Quad mix done? Were there ABC quads that never got released?

View attachment 6407View attachment 6408
I just ordered a copy of "A Year In Your Ear", I'm anxious to hear the two Sansui encoded tracks. For some reason this thread had just reentered my head, I checked Discogs and found a copy. This could of should of been the start of ABD/Dunhill releasing everything in a compatible quad formate, but to no avail. There is still one copy left but the sell wants $199.50 for it!

I just ordered a copy of "A Year In Your Ear", I'm anxious to hear the two Sansui encoded tracks. For some reason this thread had just reentered my head, I checked Discogs and found a copy. This could of should of been the start of ABD/Dunhill releasing everything in a compatible quad formate, but to no avail. There is still one copy left but the sell wants $199.50 for it!
Ifg it wasn't for your new posting I would had never stumbled upon this thread :sneaky:. Short but interesting reading. I can not find that disc with search on Discogs. Cool purchase. If the remaining one is $200 may I ask how much you spent for years?

And looking forward to hear how you like it!

Back