DTS-CD DTS downloads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyandi

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
I have just heard the Beatles
Abbey Road in 5.1 DTS
How do they do it?
It sounded as good as any 5.1 disc that I have
Can any one tell me
Ron

Hey man, from what I hear, there are some pretty damn great 5.1 mixes of Abbey Road out there. I have Romanotrax's mix (at least I think it's his, need to double-check) and love it. The reason these are available is that the multitracks for the entire album were offered as downloadable content (OGG files) for one of the Rock Band games on Xbox 360.

Which reminds me. It seems that all songs in the Rock Band games are stored in there as multitracks (the game is able to dynamically change volumes of single tracks depending on how well you play), so we're talking stuff from Rick Springfield to Tears for Fears just waiting for somebody to remix. I'm not that good on the technical side, but if people were able to mix Abbey Road from those multitracks, what's stopping them from doing the rest of the Rock Band catalogue? Imagine "Shout" in 5.1. There are some damn creative minds out there, and I'd love to hear their take on that stuff. Would be pretty cool. But I don't have an Xbox 360 of my own, and I may be missing something.

I heard a Rock Band remix of The Cars ( I think it was) and it didn't sound like the original performances. Could be just my perception of it?

Yes, the ones I've seen were RockBand game extractions. They are not studio multitracks, they are stereo mp3 stem mixes with various isolations. Most I have come across are 128k mp3s, some have phasing issues and other artifacts. Plus I have heard some tidbits that don't sound like they are from the original studio tapes, so instrument substitutions to make the game play properly. Some of the 5.1 remixes I've heard are very good considering the deficient source, shows what we could be getting if the studios put a little effort in, after all they had to go back to the studio tapes to do the stems.
brx7-cover.jpg

Doing it with Stems is how the DTS Paverotti album was done, and you can tell. We bitched we wanted the real thing and all we got was a bunch of stems that made it very difficult. If they went back to the real thing, beatles music would be spectacular. As is these Abbey Road mixes are pretty good.

There are many, many versions of "Abbey Road" out there in the netherregions of the internet. There is the one RB version mentioned which is really excellent. There is also at least one excellent stereo-to-surround mix done with SPEC which is my personal favorite.

I'm sure there's about 30 other versions of "Abbey Road" out there which aren't as good. It's just one of those albums everyone wants to take a swing at.

I've never been a fan of the RB extractions, and I never will be. Again, for every one person who knows exactly what they're doing with these things, there's 50 who don't. The extractions are often not of good quality, and don't provide a whole lot of real isolation to work with. With "Rubber Soul," I was able to get some extraction with SPEC that the stems didn't provide. They're fun to listen to, but it takes a lot to get to the point of something listenable.

Chances are, at this point in time, if you're hearing something good you found somewhere, it was done with SPEC. I think you all have heard me talk about it enough times.

Hey man, from what I hear, there are some pretty damn great 5.1 mixes of Abbey Road out there. I have Romanotrax's mix (at least I think it's his, need to double-check) and love it. The reason these are available is that the multitracks for the entire album were offered as downloadable content (OGG files) for one of the Rock Band games on Xbox 360.

Which reminds me. It seems that all songs in the Rock Band games are stored in there as multitracks (the game is able to dynamically change volumes of single tracks depending on how well you play), so we're talking stuff from Rick Springfield to Tears for Fears just waiting for somebody to remix. I'm not that good on the technical side, but if people were able to mix Abbey Road from those multitracks, what's stopping them from doing the rest of the Rock Band catalogue? Imagine "Shout" in 5.1. There are some damn creative minds out there, and I'd love to hear their take on that stuff. Would be pretty cool. But I don't have an Xbox 360 of my own, and I may be missing something.

Funny you mention TFF. The studio albums were mixed in such a superwide manner that it's very hard to get anything out of them when working from stereo. Trust me, I'd love to figure that out at some point.

I have just heard the Beatles Abbey Road in 5.1 DTS. How do they do it? It sounded as good as any 5.1 disc that I have. Can any one tell me
Ron
I can tell you that my version came from ogg files that were multitrack. I opened them in Sound Forge, took each track separately and made a mono copy of it. Some of the oggs had 4 or 5 tracks - some had as many as 8 or 9 different parts. I then imported everything into Nuendo and worked on a 5.0 mix. It should be noted that these were actual individual track stems and not just squeezed out of the original mix with eq or other isolation tricks.
Most drum parts were mono except for a couple tracks which had stereo or 2 drum parts. All vocals were separated by leads and backgrounds. There were isolated keys, strings, pads, and guitars. For the guitar solos in the last part of "The End" all three guitar parts were on one track so I edited them across the three front channels. It took me about two weeks and three or four different tries to get the balances the way I liked them but I think it turned out pretty good overall.

Ok I just found a Gotye Making Mirrors copy in 5.1. I have no idea it's origins. It APPEARS to have some discreteness going on but as it is a DTS of a 16 bit the SQ isn't the best. It does sound like it isn't just a phase shifting thingamabob that the kids do. I'm not aware of the multitracks for this being available. Anyone know of this one? I'd like to think there is a DVD-V out there somewhere with a 24 bit copy...

Well, now you have something to do this weekend! (Really it was quite good. I had to ask if it was a promo. Really though would love to see you do it justice at 24 bit.) I loved it, it was just limited by the medium. I wanted to hear it a bit more clearly is all. HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT did you get my hint...?

I kept listening to it trying to see if I could spot something that would lead me to believe it was made at 'home'. The only thing that might have remotely given it away was a few spots where it seemed the stereo was spread out--I did a google search to look for the DVD let's put it that way.

Well, now you have something to do this weekend! (Really it was quite good. I had to ask if it was a promo. Really though would love to see you do it justice at 24 bit.) I loved it, it was just limited by the medium. I wanted to hear it a bit more clearly is all. HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT did you get my hint...?

I kept listening to it trying to see if I could spot something that would lead me to believe it was made at 'home'. The only thing that might have remotely given it away was a few spots where it seemed the stereo was spread out--I did a google search to look for the DVD let's put it that way.

I mean.....the idea is to conceal imperfections, not eliminate them. I'm sure you could isolate one of the rears and find some things you don't like real quick, but that's part of the art of it all......to make it sound like it's not there.

I remember that one coming out well, but it's not one I'd put up there as a tippity-top best that I've done. Glad you liked it!

I've definitely been working with redoing some past stuff with hi-rez sources that are now available. Maybe I'll get to this at some point. I'm sure I've got the layout still.

Im new to the site but have always been into Quad. In the mid 70s I use to live in a flat with a guy who had various quad systems and I still have a few Quad albums myself, Eric Carmen, Joe Walsh, 2 Floyd albums etc.
However someone gave me a supposed DTS album on a Cd with a Wav file, cue points and a jpeg. What do I do with it? Its just noise! I have the Steve Miller Album and Ive made a CD to CD copy of that and it plays ok... And what are all these so called 5.1 "versions" in the nether regions of the internet about? Have I got one of them ?

Last edited:
You would play that CD in a CD player with a digital (either optical or coax) output connected to a receiver with a digital input and DTS decoder. With a front left, center, front right, rear right, rear left and powered subwoofer attached to the receiver you will hear up to six channels of music played back.

I can tell you that my version came from ogg files that were multitrack. I opened them in Sound Forge, took each track separately and made a mono copy of it. Some of the oggs had 4 or 5 tracks - some had as many as 8 or 9 different parts. I then imported everything into Nuendo and worked on a 5.0 mix. It should be noted that these were actual individual track stems and not just squeezed out of the original mix with eq or other isolation tricks.
Most drum parts were mono except for a couple tracks which had stereo or 2 drum parts. All vocals were separated by leads and backgrounds. There were isolated keys, strings, pads, and guitars. For the guitar solos in the last part of "The End" all three guitar parts were on one track so I edited them across the three front channels. It took me about two weeks and three or four different tries to get the balances the way I liked them but I think it turned out pretty good overall.

I'm listening to your version now for what must be almost the 100th time and each time it's like a waking dream. For this listener it stands equal with any official surround from A**** and I only wish they'd have included Sgt. Pepper as a download add on for you to take to task. Thanks man, it's a work of art.

I'm listening to your version now for what must be almost the 100th time and each time it's like a waking dream. For this listener it stands equal with any official surround from A**** and I only wish they'd have included Sgt. Pepper as a download add on for you to take to task. Thanks man, it's a work of art.
Thanks!!!

Back