Supertramp Live In Paris '79 - Blu Ray August 29th

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered this from amazon.uk but now after reading this it kinda makes sense why its not being released in North America and am surprised that its released at all. I feel really conflicted about getting this now as not very happy how this went down and my Bluray is already in transit so can't cancel my order now. Really to bad how there is such a breakdown/disconnect between Davies/remaining band members and how they have treated Roger Hodgson on the Supertramp legacy.
Here's a link with more information on this release from Roger:

http://www.facebook.com/notes/roger.../rogers-response-to-paris-dvd/491463960881633

Received mine yesterday after seeing the Hodgson's letter. It's a must for Supertramp's fans because it is a great concert, but don't buy this to have a incredible DTS sound and a amazing picture quality, although they have gone job a good with those, especially the picture.

Last edited:
I don't know... I read RH's letter and how he can't endorse the disc because of it's poor quality. Maybe he has a crappy system or something (kidding). This is a great disc of an exceptional show. The surround mix is really nice though there is barely anything in the center and it's mostly crowd in the rear with some wrap around from the front. The picture quality is great (even for being from 16mm) and it is 16x9. There are 4 videos specially made for the songs that had no film. They are nothing special but the songs all sound equally as great as the rest of the show. I really enjoyed this a lot. All the great tracks are here. I think to own this disc is a no brainer. It's unfortunate that it has become all tangled up in the controversy but I am happy I was able to get copy. I highly recommend this one.

Bob, glad you got it. I will be stalking the mail carrier tomorrow.

As for Roger, I have a feeling the "missing quality" would be some sort of featurette and listing song writing credits. Yeah, that could be a plus, but the number one is sound and sights for most of us. It's been nearly 30 years since he left the band. It's too bad he couldn't have more successfully moved on. First solo was fine, but the rest, as I recall was barely listenable. hai-hai?

As for Roger, I have a feeling the "missing quality" would be some sort of featurette and listing song writing credits. Yeah, that could be a plus, but the number one is sound and sights for most of us. It's been nearly 30 years since he left the band. It's too bad he couldn't have more successfully moved on. First solo was fine, but the rest, as I recall was barely listenable. hai-hai?

both parties lost. neither of them was Supertram as we know this band before split.
it's sad when former bandmates can't find compromise even after 30 years.

"And in the end, Nobody Wins, when dreams begin to fall apart." - Written by Jean-Paul Dreau and Gary Osborne for Elton John.

yeah, sort of. strange that it isn't selling in Canada. as i understand in the past they were hugely popular over here.
i remember some years ago i'd read somewhere on internet about that those recording, used for present release,
were found in the farm barn of one of member of the band. don't remember who it was. wondering who holds their
catalog and session's master multis?

"And in the end, Nobody Wins, when dreams begin to fall apart." - Written by Jean-Paul Dreau and Gary Osborne for Elton John.

haha! or there's the (sans Gary Osborne) original.. en Francais.. ;)

"Tendresse, tendresse
J'veux d'la tendresse
J'veux du ciel bleu
Toujours, toujours
J'veux de enfants plein la maison
Des guitares, des rires des chanson
Je veux qu'on s'aime
J'veux plus qu'on se blesse.."

No arrival from the mail carrier today.
Darn that labor day, looks like I'll have to wait ' til Tuesday.
(I know....."Hush, hush, keep it down now, voices carry").

My copy just came in today from amazon.co.uk and so far I'm very pleased with this release!
As others may have stated before, the surround mix is DTS-HD Master Audio 96/24. It's not a very discrete mix but in this instance, that's not a bad thing. Having the music anchored towards the front actually creates a very pleasing listening environment.
If you're a Supertramp fan, this release is a no-brainer! GET IT somehow, some way before it may possibly disappear from the marketplace. :)

I do think that, while not completely dishonest, the marketing point that this was remixed from the original mulitracks by the original sound engineer and presented in stereo and surround, raised my expectations for a more discrete surround experience. Clearly the surround mix is strictly ambience in the center and rears. That having been said, the sound overall is excellent and the LPCM 24/96 stereo stream decodes rather nicely in DPLII - so much so that I prefer that "surround" mix to the DTS HD MA. I totally agree however with rtbluray that if you're a fan, this is a no brainer. The performances are uniformly excellent and the video remastering of what was originally shot on 16mm film, is pretty darn good. I'd still recommend this - but with the caveat that if you're expecting a whiz bang live surround mix, you'll probably be disappointed - it still sounds great though.

Well that's a good thing. Eagle Rock told me in an email that it would not be released in the US. It's great that such an excellent title is released here.

Well that's a good thing. Eagle Rock told me in an email that it would not be released in the US. It's great that such an excellent title is released here.
It was cheaper for me ordering this from Amazon UK.
I like this disc..the sound is good and the PQ is acceptable.

I got this disc today and I agrlee it's quited imho.( as far as I could tell the audio in front was basically a 3 channel stereo mix)

Back