HiRez Poll Lynyrd Skynyrd - SOUTHERN SURROUNDINGS [DVD-AUDIO/BLU-RAY AUDIO]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Lynyrd Skynyrd - SOUTHERN SURROUNDINGS

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
I simply cannot understand how multitracks - especially from the mid-to-late '70s can go "missing". Are there not safety copies? Are there not digital copies? Are the labels REALLY that inept and/or foolish? Damaged I could understand. But completely absent? I don't buy it. One song I could see, but several? I dunno. If this is the sad state of affairs the record companies are in - no wonder they don't want to embrace multichannel!! It requires responsibility on their part!

*Edit* I see they were on MCA in those early years. 'Nuff said.

urban legend that a fair few MCA master reels were stolen and flogged off to rich Japanese collectors at one time?

I do know from a UK fellow working for Universal that tapes rumoured to be missing (presumed stolen) for The Who's "Who's Next" do exist as he was employed to transfer them to digital for archival/preservation purposes.. the plot thickens!

he also told me that some Elton mastertapes were destroyed in a fire ("Caribou" era) but that a set of safeties were held in the UK and so that is what has been used ever since.

I simply cannot understand how multitracks - especially from the mid-to-late '70s can go "missing". Are there not safety copies? Are there not digital copies? Are the labels REALLY that inept and/or foolish? Damaged I could understand. But completely absent? I don't buy it. One song I could see, but several? I dunno. If this is the sad state of affairs the record companies are in - no wonder they don't want to embrace multichannel!! It requires responsibility on their part!

*Edit* I see they were on MCA in those early years. 'Nuff said.

From what I "know" about these types companies, they are/were that inept and foolish. They had no sense of the value or any forsight. For example, the networks that filmed the earliest superbowls erased the tapes.

From what I "know" about these types companies, they are/were that inept and foolish. They had no sense of the value or any forsight. For example, the networks that filmed the earliest superbowls erased the tapes.
Back then there was likely a whole different mentality about storage of recorded material. Today we store whatever we want to. But it wasn't always possible or financially viable to do that.

This cut off is definitely happening on this title on the Oppo BDP 83 (&SE), and (FYI) it also happens via the analog outs!

Why in 2012 do they author discs like this. Neil - I know you wouldn't author a disc that cut outs at the start on an Oppo 83..

Surely all you need to do is put a bit of silence at the start of the tracks, or author them with "seamless playback" - arghh....

Also (like the Rush DVD-A discs) the menu indicator isn't visible during playback - anyone else getting this on an Oppo 83? I have to use the page up/ down button rather than the arrows & enter.

No problems on my Oppo 93. No cut outs.

A_L

For those disappointed about Sweet Home Alabama, I believe the masters can't be located, meaning a discrete mix couldn't be made.
The Rock Band game (which requires the multitrack masters) has released several Skynyrd songs (including Free Bird and Simple Man), but Sweet Home Alabama was released as a live version, indicating the studio version was unavailable/unsuitable.

That would be a solid, logical explanation. The fact is, beyond negligence, stupidity or neglect, sometimes things just go missing (go over the course of your life and think about some of what you've lost or discarded, if you can). Many indie label master tapes are missing in some way because no one knew anyone would care later. Some, like ABC, purposefully discarded or destroyed multis and even mono tapes to save money or, again, thought they would be of no further use. But there is also a situation like the Moodies' ISOTLC where, while multis exist, too much was missing to make the overall album presentable in 4.0 or 5.1 (and no one knows why). Similarly, Meat Loaf's BOOH was not complete for 5.1--not due to anything Sony specifically did, but because (according to the story) Todd Rundgren (producer) had some multis that were lost in a fire.

There are so many reasons tapes can go bye-bye or MIA. Might as well be thankful to get what we get, rather than endlessly lament over what will never be.

ED :)

Almost a 10, what a treat! I did notice the truncation at the beginning of That Smell in the car on the way home from buying it. (JVC in-dash). At home it was great also, but didn't seem to have a coherent center (not center channel) focus. The center channel itself has a lot of bass that should be elsewhere, I mean I'm used to adjusting the center level for almost every recording, but in this case it was to bring more low end into the whole sound. Didn't notice in the car because it is set to downmix to 4.0. I never noticed what an energetic bass player on You Got That Right. That would have sounded great on AM and would fit right in back then.
The full version of Free Bird was on Skynyrd's Innards (read it in the fine print somewhere).
The pessimist in me says this is just a one-off collectors item by design. But then again, there was great care put into the mix if it was only to be heard by a limited few. Maybe the powers that be are aware of there being more DVDA players in vehicles than ever before.

I never noticed what an energetic bass player on You Got That Right. That would have sounded great on AM and would fit right in back then.

Got to #69 in 1978, but I don't remember bass such as this.

The full version of Free Bird was on Skynyrd's Innards (read it in the fine print somewhere).

Thought it might have been issued before, but great to have in 5.1, huh? Very impressive.

After striking out online and in two Wal-Mart stores near my home I headed North today to the next neighboring town and.... success! I found one copy. If there had been more I would have bought them.
Came right home and listened to the disc twice. I love it. It's a great classic rock band and it's material that has never been available before in surround. Great song selection. I even enjoyed the couple of tunes I was not familiar with. I give this a definite 10 for audio quality as well as for the fact that in this day and age it was even created. I hope the fact that it is sold out online and hard to find in stores after only being released for a couple of weeks will be a good sign and mean that we might see more discs like this.

Last edited:
The inconsistency of distribution (if that's the problem--or is it really selling that well?) in stores is doubtless contributing to eBay sellers trying to get a few extra bucks from this, but whose fault is that? There is one seller where the bid is still low, so one of you may be able to snag it for under $20. Ridiculous that it comes to this, since we know there must be plenty of copies just sitting around, somewhere out in the arid southwest, the hinterlands of Idaho, Presque Isle, Maine, etc. There must be some 'obscure' Walmarts with copies, right?

It's odd that Wal-Mart, a retailer that caters to the masses would carry such a specialized product (and people say DVDA is a dead format). It's great if it helps to promote the format to more people. It's also strange that it's available in the US only. I'm sure that many copies will show up on eBay for sale to the rest of the world eventually, albeit at a higher price.

Plays with no problems in my Acura. I'm not a big fan of LS..but the 2 songs that I really like are on this. Maybe I'll like the other songs with time. 9

To answer a couple of things that seem to have some people riled up....
1 - Multitrack Tapes.
In the 60's & 70's, this was still relatively new and therefore expensive. What often happened was that multitrack reels were "rented" for the duration of the sessions, and once the 1/2" or 1/4" master was made, the multis were erased and reused.
A lot of tapes also ended up destroyed because of Sticky Shed syndrome, where they had been stored incorrectly. These days even badly damaged tapes can be rescued, although even now it is sometimes impossible - there was a set of Bob Marley tapes recently discovered that had things living on them yet even then almost half were eventually recovered.
Digital backups from 70's tapes are rare - this started to really happen in the 80's to Umatic (16/44.1 or 16/48 machines) and Mitsubushi (16/48 or 24/48).

2 - Player Truncation.
Should not be a problem if the following conditions are met:
A - no segues
B - 2 seconds from marker to music start.
It's a firmware thing, and does indeed affect the Oppo BDP-83SE - I can confirm this one - but *only* when HDMI is used - and this applies to Video output, not just audio output.
Drop the HDMI for audio discs, or switch to pure audio, and this should go away.

2 - Player Truncation.
Should not be a problem if the following conditions are met:
A - no segues
B - 2 seconds from marker to music start.
It's a firmware thing, and does indeed affect the Oppo BDP-83SE - I can confirm this one - but *only* when HDMI is used - and this applies to Video output, not just audio output.
Drop the HDMI for audio discs, or switch to pure audio, and this should go away.

Thanks...I'll have to try it in Pure Audio mode and see if it works....I have HDMI Audio turned off and I still get the truncation.

I authored a blu-ray with LPCM 96/24 to get around this...

Back