LATEST Piece of Gear in Your Stack - What is it?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stylus force gauge
(not sure how accurate it will be.. it was only a few quid.. but fun to play with for 5 mins and then will probably put in a drawer.. for the batteries to corrode.. and render it even more useless, possibly.. :eek: )

712Z3mQAAsL._SY355_.jpg

"...fun to play with for 5 mins and then will probably put in a drawer.. for the batteries to corrode.. and render it even more useless, possibly.. :eek: )"
That's hilarious... lol

Akai CR-80-SS

jFTP8yd.jpg

Hi. fredy

Great machine the old with the new, I like the look of the old.......:D:D:D

It looks minty just like my one you now there is a little richual that you have to do with your machine that is keep the heads clean & demangnatize at lest 2 or 3 or more times a year and do it in another room away from magnetic tapes. I have the top of the lid unscrewed just sitting on the top, so I can get to the head mechanism for cleaning you would do this every time you down load to the computer from the 4 outputs & the next important step is your Q8 tapes replacing the foam strip & the silver splice here is some YouTube help on tackaling this procedure & there is more help ..

I hope everything goes good for you and remember have patience..... " Sorry did not read that you use to have a 8 track machine in your younger days "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kniUDYY8Zn8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s78Um4lQpA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8k-esz40oA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPf9rNjqs6A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhY8U2tYV3Y

Just received a Pioneer RT 707. This will give me a RT 701, RT 707 and a RT 707 parted out and stowed.:D

I hate to even admit I'm thinking this way...are Quad Reel/Reel's hard to locate? Price?? I"m sure they are to the moon, if in mint condition....

I hate to even admit I'm thinking this way...are Quad Reel/Reel's hard to locate? Price?? I"m sure they are to the moon, if in mint condition....

Gene, as I just posted on another thread, the more desirable mint condition QUAD Open reels can go for $1K and UP. And the dolby~b encoded ones do require the use of an outboard Dolby b decoder. It's a lot more complicated than you think especially for a chap like me who would probably spend thousands on esoteric RCA cables to connect these decks/decoders to my pre~amp [4 Sets would be required] and if you DO have an older Open Reel deck [70/80 vintage] there are currently expensive tweaks that could also upgrade/restore them to 2017 level [newer internal electronics, wiring and heads]

To REALLY do it right, you can see where I'm going with the expenses incurred in achieving state of the art playback for maybe a few hundred OR tapes [if even that] and some of those reels have been released in DVD~A and/or SACD multichannel, which, IMO, on a state of the art digital front end would comfortably eclipse the Sound Quality of those Open Reels for a fraction of the cost.

Gene, as I just posted on another thread, the more desirable mint condition QUAD Open reels can go for $1K and UP. And the dolby~b encoded ones do require the use of an outboard Dolby b decoder. It's a lot more complicated than you think especially for a chap like me who would probably spend thousands on esoteric RCA cables to connect these decks/decoders to my pre~amp [4 Sets would be required] and if you DO have an older Open Reel deck [70/80 vintage] there are currently expensive tweaks that could also upgrade/restore them to 2017 level [newer internal electronics, wiring and heads]

To REALLY do it right, you can see where I'm going with the expenses incurred in achieving state of the art playback for maybe a few hundred OR tapes [if even that] and some of those reels have been released in DVD~A and/or SACD multichannel, which, IMO, on a state of the art digital front end would comfortably eclipse the Sound Quality of those Open Reels for a fraction of the cost.

Thank you for your honest answer. Pretty much, I'm clueless...just asking.

Aah yes GOS. One MUST buy only the best at 1K or more to keep up with the Jones. I have two Akai GX 270D SS quad decks and recommend that you have a look at them. They range anywhere from $100 + shipping to $400 + shipping USD.

Simple to operate and simple to hook up. No special attachments or special decoders. A good Reel To Reel has a S/N ratio of 70 db or better and needs no dolby.

Aah yes GOS. One MUST buy only the best at 1K or more to keep up with the Jones. I have two Akai GX 270D SS quad decks and recommend that you have a look at them. They range anywhere from $100 + shipping to $400 + shipping USD.

Simple to operate and simple to hook up. No special attachments or special decoders. A good Reel To Reel has a S/N ratio of 70 db or better and needs no dolby.

I disagree with your last statement regarding dolby b encoded Open Reels. Dolby encoding/decoding shaves approximately 8~ 10 db of noise further enhancing the SN ratio. Without it, GOOD LUCK.....that wouldn't fly on MY system.

And from my experience with Open Reel Decks over the years [I owned quite a few: Ampex/Revox/Teac/Akai].....unless you're handy, things can go pretty awry with them since they have quite a few moving parts. Tape tensioning...for one. In rewind or FF mode, if the tape tension is off, you can either snap a tape [acetate] or stretch it [polyester]. And of course demagnetizing and cleaning the heads is another necessary ritual and also playing the tapes every once in a awhile keeps them from developing print through....or crosstalk.

And yes, I have seen some Quad Open Reels for $1K and up. I agree it's ridiculous but hey, if you want to play you've got to pay. I would never pay that for any OOP format....regardless.

I too have several tape decks to maintain Including the two Pioneers and two Akais I also have a Teac (4010SU), and two pioneer cassette decks (CT-F700).

As far as all the needs to operate and maintain, I've been doing that sense 1969 and it is NO burden at all. Besides...It keeps this ol' man bright and cheery.

I've played with dolby A, B, and C. All three have the same problem. When encoded and played back they tend to dull the sound.

When recording records to tape I use two KLH TNE 7000A to remove the pops and some of the hiss. They don't do a perfect job, but at least they don't detract from the sound quality.

I too have several tape decks to maintain Including the two Pioneers and two Akais I also have a Teac (4010SU), and two pioneer cassette decks (CT-F700).

As far as all the needs to operate and maintain, I've been doing that sense 1969 and it is NO burden at all. Besides...It keeps this ol' man bright and cheery.

I've played with dolby A, B, and C. All three have the same problem. When encoded and played back they tend to dull the sound.

I wish I was handy with electronics....but I'm not. When I saved up and purchased my first TEAC stereo deck in the late 60's, thank the stars we had a TEAC dealer nearby because myself and my friend across the hall in college were always running to them for tensioning issues, etc.

Unfortunately, if you're NOT tech savvy, if you do invest in a used Open Reel Deck, what recourse do you have if the parts are either no longer available and there's no one that can service them....a valid reality nowadays.

I also dabbled with DBX encoders once upon a time and it did a better job, IMO, than any of the Dolby processes. But if properly encoded and provided the decoder is properly calibrated I think it does sound better [more natural, IMO]. Again, we all have different levels of hearing and some are more sensitive than others to tape hiss [I profess to having a midrange hearing loss in my right ear from too many LOUD rock concerts]. But I can still hear HISS [even on some SACDs and DVD~As].

BTW, have you ever purchased any software from HDTT.......some of them are pretty amazing and the QUAD BD~As are astounding considering their vintage. Again, they ARE utilizing those VERY pricey new fangled Open Reel Decks [probably $8~16K]. https://www.highdeftapetransfers.com/collections/symposium-acoustics

I retired as a Master marine/industrial Diesel operator/mechanic. :DI use BIG tools on my electronics.:D

All of my certs have expired and I gave most of my tools to younger mechanics when I left the shop. All I have now is enough to maintain my riding lawn mower. I did keep most of my manuals, but none of those engines would fit in a vehicle unless it was driving a large generator or a large ship.

Engines that I maintained were Fairbanks Morse 38 ND 8 1/8, GM 16-278A, GM 8-268, Enterprise, Atlas, Packard 1D-1700 V 12 (same engines use on the Spruce Goose [gasoline version] only mounted in a Mine Sweeper [diesel]). And many others.

Last edited:
Audio Technica AT15s

file.php

what a lovely (surprisingly heavy! :yikes ) thing..
fingers crossed it does the trick with CD-4 and ain't all show and no go..! :D
I have one of those. it's a honey and a prize in my collection. Good luck!

Back