LATEST Piece of Gear in Your Stack - What is it?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its, adorable, Adam.......Just LIKE YOU! Actually, that's very cool but why not just hang a FLATSCREEN on the blank wall you're projecting the image on?

BTW, how big of an image does it project?

I also would like to know how big of an image can a ultra short image projector throw? I go the opposite direction with my projector and zoom an image from way far back (22 feet) to 120 inch diy screen.

..while not strictly in my "stack", it is a big part of my system (since I don't have room for a TV, I have to use the projector 24/7, or rather whenever I need to see what I'm doing, with music.. like DVD-A, etc.) so I just got a new p/j, the LG PF1000U - LED 1080p Minibeam UST ..its an Ultra Short Throw 1080p LED model, so it just sits on the equipment rack at the front of my room and shines its pretty pictures on the blank wall in front of it. Abracadabra! :p

LG-PF1000U-Nimblechapps.jpg

..I WANT ONE!!!

Its, adorable, Adam.......Just LIKE YOU! Actually, that's very cool but why not just hang a FLATSCREEN on the blank wall you're projecting the image on?

BTW, how big of an image does it project?

Size matters, Ralphie! :eek:

I'm getting 100 inches diagonal at the moment, with the projector set 28 inches away from the wall...
which for my tiny room is possibly overkill but once you've got used to a big picture its hard to go back to a 40-incher isn't it?

There are issues, don't get me wrong.. but I feel as this is such a new breed of projector product (and the only two LED UST alternatives are another LG and a Sony model right now which are both in the 10's of thousands, whereas this was only just over a grand at the time I got it, its cheaper now) I can almost forgive these issues and hope that as the technology is refined they might be able to iron the issues out ...for example my wall is not perfectly flat and there are some imperfections to the walls' surface, which are really exemplified by the Ultra Short Technology.. you'd have to see it in action, unless you have experience of UST tech & optics, to see what I'm talking about but its a lot less forgiving to wall texture etc than a conventional long(er) throw pj.. still its compact, very quiet, can run all weekend long (yes I've literally had it on all day and night Saturday and all day and night Sunday!) without ever even getting anywhere near warm.. to say I'm impressed would be an understatement.

I also would like to know how big of an image can a ultra short image projector throw? I go the opposite direction with my projector and zoom an image from way far back (22 feet) to 120 inch diy screen.

Not sure what its limitations are tbh, i'm getting 100 inches diagonal with the front edge of the projector set 28 inches from the wall.

My mate who has decades of experience with projectors and got me into projectors in the first place came over the other day and said.. "ooh, is that what I think it is?"

I said, no it's not an espresso machine! :eek: ..and when I switched it on he initially sat staring at it (rather than the picture!) and said "its like a little glowing magic box! if I had any blank wall space left I would get one now!" :D

Not sure what its limitations are tbh, i'm getting 100 inches diagonal with the front edge of the projector set 28 inches from the wall.

My mate who has decades of experience with projectors and got me into projectors in the first place came over the other day and said.. "ooh, is that what I think it is?"

I said, no it's not an espresso machine! :eek: ..and when I switched it on he initially sat staring at it (rather than the picture!) and said "its like a little glowing magic box! if I had any blank wall space left I would get one now!" :D

Sounds VERY impressive, Adam....and you ain't kiddin' when you said SIZE DOES MATTER. BTW, there is a paint that duplicates screen surfaces which you could utilize to make the picture more organic. http://paintonscreen.com/ Perhaps a little pre~sanding might remove the surface's imperfections. A little elbow grease, son and you've got yourself a proper projection surface. For your impending 40th Birthday Bash you can not only paint the town but paint the wall, as well.:brew

BTW, without that vaulable wall space, where do you hang your Oxford and Cambridge diplomas?

Sounds VERY impressive, Adam....and you ain't kiddin' when you said SIZE DOES MATTER. BTW, there is a paint that duplicates screen surfaces which you could utilize to make the picture more organic. http://paintonscreen.com/ Perhaps a little pre~sanding might remove the surface's imperfections. A little elbow grease, son and you've got yourself a proper projection surface. For your impending 40th Birthday Bash you can not only paint the town but paint the wall, as well.:brew

BTW, without that vaulable wall space, where do you hang your Oxford and Cambridge diplomas?

Oh yes, I could work on the wall, done a lot of painting and decorating over the years.. but my back has had it now, it nearly crippled me overreaching on steps earlier in the week, my lower back still hurts now.. so I'll live with the lumps and bumps.. or get a man in to inspect my ceiling.. hmm.. hehe.. :eek:

I only have a diploma from the school of hard knocks! (Joke! :D ) I went straight to work after A-Levels at 18, I wanted cold hard readies in me pocket to spend on wine, women and song more than ploughing dough studying at Uni or whatever. Ah, whatta mistake-a to make-a.. we live and learn.. I sometimes wonder what we learn all this stuff for, I hope I'm a surround fan all over again when I'm reincarnated so I don't have to start from scratch! :rolleyes: :p

That has to be the most incredible projector I've ever seen. That is cool as all get out. Must find myself one of those.
Very nice!
Dave

It is pretty cool, there are some downsides.. brightness isn't that impressive (despite claimed 1000 lumens, which for LED is pretty decent, contrast is quite something, at a claimed 150000:1.. which I think goes some way to helping the picture look nice and vivid even once calibrated) it really needs to be used in a darkened room, blinds down and lights dimmed at the least (I live in an underground bunker these days so its all dandy down under but in a typical lounge room situation I don't imagine it would be upto snuff).. also, I feel it needs to be run on medium energy saving mode (there are 3 settings, minimum energy save, medium and maximum.. at maximum the brightness dims considerably and at minimum the fan noise is too loud for my liking.. but at medium the compromise of trade off of some brightness with much less fan noise is well worth it and that's my setting of choice at this point)..
and I do have some mildly irksome focussing and uniformity issues - but these are seemingly due to the unevenness of my wall surface I'm projecting onto, as when I projected it onto a smaller bit of whiteboard it looked perfect.. I think optically it has maybe too narrow a focus range where (most of) the picture snaps into focus.. but because of the wall not being flat I've always got a couple of visible ripples to the image and one corner that's a bit fuzzy which is a bit of a pita.. but its all only really at the bottom right hand corner and only v.noticeable when I'm running the computer through it, with TV and movies its not readily apparent, often not visible at all... and the upside is in all other respects I'm pretty chuffed with it, have to say (and apart from the nifty aspect of just plonking it on a table/equipment rack/sideboard etc.. theoretically no more costly bulbs to replace is a big deal.. well that's if it lives upto the claimed 30,000 hours LED lifespan.. by which time I'll have gone onto 4k, hopefully or have got a different model or something by then.. fingers crossed! :phones )

Wha??? Wow, that's no small purchase Adam...very nice indeed. :)

Well Gene, even though its often the hearts of our surround systems its not such a big purchase as this was only a B Grade/Refurb job direct from the manufacturer on eBay (looks more like unsold old stock to me, the unit is a few years old but everything was all in plastic and appeared totally new, unless Cambridge Audio's guys do the most amazing job of getting an old unit back to factory spec!) so the main reason it was no biggy is that it cost only £250..! :yikes (originally retailed for $2,499.99 US, as you can see in the Amazon listing) so snapped it up as quite a bargain when I saw it come up the other night.. my beloved old Yamaha (RXV2067, check it out, the UK equivalent to the US RXA2020 Aventage unit, cost a fair whack back in the day, weighs an absolute ton, it was a mad purchase at the time and way too powerful for my shoebox.. anyway the Yammy finally went totally kaput, finally got it working again the other week by repeatedly power cycling the damn thing while doing other stuff round the house but now not only have the HDMI's given up the ghost - won't lock onto a signal, it puts out no sound matter what analogue input so it seems like either the amps have failed or the motherboard or something.. factory reset does nothing.. and I can't update the firmware or even roll it back to a previous FW, just in case its something to do with that.. either way I think it must have been a pretty catastrophic failure.. poor thing, i loved it.. such a laid back smooth sound.. no disrespect to Denon but the two AVR's of theirs I've got are pretty good for movies, the more powerful model I got off QQ steelydave is great for movies, TV, games etc in fact but a bit bright with not a great deal of warmth when playing music, the Denon's are probably more accurate than the Yamaha but just a kinda tiring listen on the ears for an extended period of playing music, you know... which is pretty much all I do these days! :eek: ) so.. we shall see how I get on with this Cambridge Audio AVR.. no time to play with it this weekend as a full on weekend but hopefully get to muck about with it next week.. my main concerns are reliability (its a refurb as I said and of a model with a checkered history in some respects, for HDMI reliability and compatibility mainly, for sound quality it gets great reviews) oh and its got terrible Audyssey implementation and dodgy Commodore 64 GUI apparently... but seeing as I don't use Audyssey (hate it for music, alright for movies but again musics all I do pretty much now) so.. well, yeah that's about all I have to say about all that crap! Now "all" I need is for CD-4 unit number 2 to turn up (and work.. "who.. does number 2.. work for..!?" :D ) and for some time to myself to get it all going.. and I'll be in clover! (trying to arrange a few days off around my Bday beginning of next month.. :rolleyes:)

WHAT???
ONLY 250 GBP?????

You're one lucky sob (with all the love in the world!!!)

DANG!!! WHAT A BEAUT!!!!

:yikes

Yes, el kapitan.. only 250 smackeroo's! :yikes

They had 11 by the time I found the listing.. 4 of which sold in the first 24 hours of watching the listing at £249.99 (I was one of the lucky SOB's).. they then put the price up to £269.99 and the remaining 7 sold in the next 48 hours.

Now they only have the V2 revision (which has 4k pass through via HDMI) for £649.99 (I don't have a 4k projector or monitor, so not bothered about that.. although one day maybe.. I'm always thinking about "one day tomorrow" - just call me Fredgar Winter.. but that day never comes, tomorrow I'm still 1080p! :ugham: )

So that's at least 11 lucky SOB's..! :eek:

Just happened to be in the right place at the right time, I guess.. though I am concerned about reliability etc of the unit.. we shall see in the fulness of time! Hope springs eternal (TM = RT) :D
(Speaking of hope.. hope I get it up and running by the time you come! :p )

Back